on coaching searches in general.............

aubiefifty

do you want a hired gun that is a sleeze as long as he can win? since college football is not really amateur should this still matter? some say all coaches have skeletons in their closet. or do you have serious ties to auburn like being a lifelong fan? i want to win  bad as the last four years have been hard on me but i just am not ready to take a chance on a coach that might end up dragging us through the mud. i am thinking of freeze right now but it could be different folks right? i mean good lord we just hired a coach many thought was classy and here we are. anyway i thought it might be fun to see who would sell their soul and who would rather go the safe route if there is such a thing. i think this is a great discussion topic but can we keep it civil? no bullying please just because you might not like someones opinion.

I think you can win without the baggage myself. 

Brian Johnson 

• Like 3

Let's be real, next season is likely to be worse than this one unless we pull a miracle in the portal. We're a week out from that period opening and we still have no head coach. I don't think we'll be pulling a miracle in the portal. 

We could have hired Freeze at any time. No major school, hell, no lower level FBS school has come near this guy in 6 years. If you're going to go the route of a radioactive PR disaster, spend the money and bring in Meyer. He has better proven results than a couple of good years at Ole Miss and beating Saban. So does Gus Malzahn. Why don't we hire him back? We'll get the same tiresome type of "do more with less" offense that we'll get with Freeze, he's actually played for a national championship, has won an SEC championship and does pretty well recruiting the high star undersized projects you get running Sunbelt offense. People are acting like we're hiring some guy who's just that good he's going to overcome the absolute firestorm of bad PR that will come with him. Nothing in Freeze's resume suggests that, especially given next year's roster. So what do you think is going to happen when this guy gets handed a fat check, splits the fanbase and turns in a 5-6 win season next year? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Let's be real, next season is likely to be worse than this one unless we pull a miracle in the portal. We're a week out from that period opening and we still have no head coach. I don't think we'll be pulling a miracle in the portal. 

We could have hired Freeze at any time. No major school, hell, no lower level FBS school has come near this guy in 6 years. If you're going to go the route of a radioactive PR disaster, spend the money and bring in Meyer. He has better proven results than a couple of good years at Ole Miss and beating Saban. So does Gus Malzahn. Why don't we hire him back? We'll get the same tiresome type of "do more with less" offense that we'll get with Freeze, he's actually played for a national championship, has won an SEC championship and does pretty well recruiting the high star undersized projects you get running Sunbelt offense. People are acting like we're hiring some guy who's just that good he's going to overcome the absolute firestorm of bad PR that will come with him. Nothing in Freeze's resume suggests that, especially given next year's roster. So what do you think is going to happen when this guy gets handed a fat check, splits the fanbase and turns in a 5-6 win season next year? 

I agree with this.

• Like 2

auburn is too embedded in my families history to ever quit pulling for auburn. it would be like a slap in the face to my dad who played football for auburn on the freshman team. that being said i would not be happy if we hired someone that might be scummy. on a different thread on this board it was stated some serious red flags popped up at liberty and we lost interest. it is somewhere in the football section. then there is the thing where a lot of folks out there think auburn is a joke and who would want to put up with the mess? i would prefer someone who loves auburn and wants to be here for more reasons than a hefty payday.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

auburn is too embedded in my families history to ever quit pulling for auburn. it would be like a slap in the face to my dad who played football for auburn on the freshman team. that being said i would not be happy if we hired someone that might be scummy. on a different thread on this board it was stated some serious red flags popped up at liberty and we lost interest. it is somewhere in the football section. then there is the thing where a lot of folks out there think auburn is a joke and who would want to put up with the mess? i would prefer someone who loves auburn and wants to be here for more reasons than a hefty payday.

I can’t think of a single coach that we have ever hired, fits that description. I just remember the one we thought did (DL coach) came for a week then went back to NFL first chance he got. Even Dye doesn’t fit that description.

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I can’t think of a single coach that we have ever hired, fits that description. I just remember the one we thought did (DL coach) came for a week then went back to NFL first chance he got. Even Dye doesn’t fit that description.

dye had mad love for auburn. terry bowden loved auburn. and if we had listened to dye we would have had kirby as a coach and be in a better place even if he did leave for ga. i freely admit to wanting a role model for a coach. this will probably never happen unless we hired caddy.

• Like 1

Just now, aubiefifty said:

dye had mad love for auburn. terry bowden loved auburn. and if we had listened to dye we would have had kirby as a coach and be in a better place even if he did leave for ga. i freely admit to wanting a role model for a coach. this will probably never happen unless we hired caddy.

Dye did not love Auburn when he was hired. He came bc it was a much better job than Wyoming. Most of our coaches lived Auburn when they keft. Even the ones that were fired. They all originally came for the money/step up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Dye did not love Auburn when he was hired. He came bc it was a much better job than Wyoming. Most of our coaches lived Auburn when they keft. Even the ones that were fired. They all originally came for the money/step up.

i can counter that by saying bear told dye if he would wait he would be bears pick when he stepped down. he loved bear and still went to auburn so i think the seeds were already there to love auburn.

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i can counter that by saying bear told dye if he would wait he would be bears pick when he stepped down. he loved bear and still went to auburn so i think the seeds were already there to love auburn.

Gotcha, he probably loved UGA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Gotcha, he probably loved UGA.

you still have not told the board how awesome and sexy i am hank. i bet you have not even got my christmas present yet....................grins

Just now, aubiefifty said:

you still have not told the board how awesome and sexy i am hank. i bet you have not even got my christmas present yet....................grins

Hard to find “smoke” in a shipping bottle but still looking. Don’t give up on me yet!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

do you want a hired gun that is a sleeze as long as he can win? since college football is not really amateur should this still matter? some say all coaches have skeletons in their closet. or do you have serious ties to auburn like being a lifelong fan? i want to win  bad as the last four years have been hard on me but i just am not ready to take a chance on a coach that might end up dragging us through the mud. i am thinking of freeze right now but it could be different folks right? i mean good lord we just hired a coach many thought was classy and here we are. anyway i thought it might be fun to see who would sell their soul and who would rather go the safe route if there is such a thing. i think this is a great discussion topic but can we keep it civil? no bullying please just because you might not like someones opinion.

Well, arguably the 2 best coaches in Auburn sports history are Pat Dye and Bruce Pearl. Our fans worship them but both coaches got NCAA sanctions and put in probation. Bruce has been in trouble at his last 2 stops as well as at Iowa as an asst. He illegally recorded a recruit he missed out on to try and get Illinois in trouble. He taped the kids phone call and then turned it into the NCAA. This got Bruce blackballed from D1 basketball as nobody would hire him. He went DII for 9 years until he could finally find a D1 school to hire him back in. His name was pretty bad back in the late 80's and 90's. Most places outside Auburn look at him as very greasy, kinda like our fans looked at him until we hired him. 

Hugh Freeze was caught paying players, lost his job and the school got probation. Pat Dye was caught paying players on tape and it was even aired on a national news show, lost his job and we were put on probation. That cost us the 1993 Natty as well because we were undefeated but couldn't play for the SEC Title or a bowl. 

Freeze loved pretty women and Pat Dye loved alcohol. The fanbase thinks one is a God and named our field after him but the other coach can't come within 10 miles of campus in our eyes. 

Sounds like a fanbase of hypocrites to me.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, TeamZero77 said:

Well, arguably the 2 best coaches in Auburn sports history are Pat Dye and Bruce Pearl. Our fans worship them but both coaches got NCAA sanctions and put in probation. Bruce has been in trouble at his last 2 stops as well as in DII basketball at Southern Indiana.

Pearl got in trouble for having a BBQ. Freeze has a range of far less innocent charges and accusations against him coming in with none of the good will Pearl had in the media. There was some muttering when we hired Pearl. There will be an off-season long lampooning if we hire Freeze. 

Dye didn't come to Auburn with that baggage and coached in a very different era of media coverage. What he got Auburn in trouble for was a likely staged hit giving a kid a hundred bucks because he drug his kid out in the cold and said they were starving. Very, very different situations. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You know, Dr Pepper has done a documentary spot on this subject. Futbooooollllll! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I think you can win without the baggage myself. 

Brian Johnson 

What are you hearing on Brian Johnson?

Keep in mind his over due library book he never returned to the Utah Library (allegedly).

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Problem is: having moral objections to someone's employment is itself morally objectionable isn't it; and it's a slippery slope to stand on. One of our future coaches may turn out to be divorced or gay or atheist or trans/gender agnostic or even a non white guy - imagine that! Then what will we say or do if we're still clinging to our moral objections to the conditions of employment? Despite the collective opinion of the internet, our Administrators and Boosters are working very hard to do their best for Auburn. Coaches come and go. I'm pulling for my Tigers regardless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Systems said:

Problem is: having moral objections to someone's employment is itself morally objectionable isn't it; and it's a slippery slope to stand on. One of our future coaches may turn out to be divorced or gay or atheist or trans/gender agnostic or even a non white guy - imagine that! Then what will we say or do if we're still clinging to our moral objections to the conditions of employment? Despite the collective opinion of the internet, our Administrators and Boosters are working very hard to do their best for Auburn. Coaches come and go. I'm pulling for my Tigers regardless. 

Please don't take me out of context. It's the first time I'm agreeing with aubiefifty and I want to make this feeling last. WDE aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, Systems said:

Please don't take me out of context. It's the first time I'm agreeing with aubiefifty and I want to make this feeling last. WDE aubiefifty

You will be sharing a smoke soon at this rate.

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I would like to see the moderators make a sticky post closed to replies that lays out the FACTS of what Freeze was guilty of.  Because I'm not sure, and there are too many conflicting opinions on this web site.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I would like to see the moderators make a sticky post closed to replies that lays out the FACTS of what Freeze was guilty of.  Because I'm not sure, and there are too many conflicting opinions on this web site.

It's too late - we're way past the facts. 

9 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

If we're stupid enough to hire him, they will all be on steady rotation at ESPN and other sports outlets soon enough. 

11 minutes ago, Systems said:

Wait...are you equating being gay, non-white, or non-religious as morally objectionable to the level of ... *checks notes*... infidelity, violating recruiting rules, and contacting sexual assault accusers in a way that could and has been interpreted as using their power for intimidation?

Because Auburn University is not a religious institution. It's a secular one. If you want to get into the "morals are subjective and therefore slippery" argument then I guess go ahead. But it's quite silly to go the route you're going with this. Many fans can and do look at this from the reasonable level and say that he has enough accusations against him of things that, regardless of your belief system, are morally dubious enough to warrant going in another direction.