QB”s

Old fan 47

1 hour ago, 81spacetiger said:

I know our O-line did not perform their best in 2022 but a lot of the blame should fall on the BH/coaching staff for not figuring out how to get the best of the line talent.  Once BH was canned, the team rallied around a running attack that continued to produce (actually got a little better) running the ball.  We culminated in the most running yards against bama, they didn't surrender that kind of yardage to anyone all season - and they knew that's what we were going to do and they couldn't stop it.  Now, the rise of the running game came at the expense of a disappearing passing game.  Some of that could been on the injury to RA.

So lets quit tossing the O-line under the bus.  Yes they were not the best, but if we had done what a Caddy led effort revealed earlier in the season, we might have gotten bowl eligible.    Still rubs my a$$ to have to watch a 5-7 Rice team today in a bowl game.

The o-line has been garbage. You’re right in that a lot of that was on coaching as well. And injuries. And lack of recruiting. And lack of execution. The whole situation is a flaming pile. But being honest about the reality, this is the worst o-line I’ve ever seen at Auburn (watching since ‘00ish). Bo was hurt. TJ was hurt. Robby was hurt. The only QBs we had and played were hurt. The only one not hurt was the one who didn’t play. 

Yes, they put up a valiant effort in rushing against Bama, but it didn’t really amount to anything more than a moral victory. That’s the state of the Auburn program now: celebrating moral victories. You’re right about the bowl eligibility though, it’s completely on Auburn leadership for not canning Harsin’s candy @$$ after the Penn State or Missouri game. Fire him too soon everyone’s screaming “you didn’t give him time!” Fire him too late everyone’s screaming “We played way better, and should have fired him sooner!” Retrospect is 2020 🤷‍♂️I’m with you on Rice. The upside is we can at least focus on recruiting, everything has a purpose. Today’s a big day for recruiting to patch the holes on this sinking ship. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Thanks 1

No reason to give up on Ashford or Geriner yet. But there's also no reason to risk a full season on the hope they develop.

I'm sure Freeze will run a better offense than Harsin. But all the other challenges from last year will still be there. We are not suddenly going to have a great OL and a dynamic, experienced WR corp. Our RB unit will likely be worse than this season. 

So it's paramount you bring in the best portal QB you can find. It will take some time to repair this decimated roster. A great QB is the best way to cover up some deficiencies until you get there. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, aucat said:

Robby can be converted to an interesting RB or WR, who can make trick plays in CFH's system

13 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I suspect a proven playmaker at QB will be central to Freeze pulling portal OL and anchoring what's left of recruiting this year into next. This will be a key test of Freeze's recruiting ability and it won't be easy. QBs are the game now, and everyone wants one every single year. 

If we end up starting Ashford again next year, we missed again. I think the kid is a great competitor, but he's not on this level. And I know he was hurt, but the guy couldn't complete a 5 yard screen pass. Now that we're back into the spread, if he can't make that throw, he's not cut out for the job. If he has to run for his life every play another season, he'll get broken in two. Defenses will be headhunting. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

One word: Harsin

Zero snaps in two full seasons would require a lot of reasons.

5 hours ago, AUY2K said:

RAs ceiling next year as a starter is 6-7 wins.  We NEED Leary if Auburn wants an 8-9 win season.

Just quoted the ones I saw.

Prolly not a great idea to bet against a QB with mobility and a good arm being coached by Freeze.

..... just sayin'

Sorry, wouldn't give Robbie the keys to the car for next season.  Hurt or not, doesn't account for poor decision making and poor accuracy.  Get better and prove me wrong.  Portal Qb is the only way to go for 1 year.  Would love for Robbie to get it and be our Qb next year.......but this year, no thank you.

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

The guy people are sleeping on is Holden Geriner. He was a 4* prospect who has all the tools Freeze wants in a QB. If for some reason we fail to get a solid QB from the portal I think Geriner will win the job. Ashford has a lot to contribute but he'll do best at WR where he can get the ball in space or run jet sweeps.

Yes, Geriner is a Grayson McCall clone-in-waiting which yet another reason getting McCall on board would pay dividends beyond his remaining eligibility. 

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Yes, Geriner is a Grayson McCall clone-in-waiting which yet another reason getting McCall on board would pay dividends beyond his remaining eligibility. 

Yes. Beyond all the other things going on,  we definitely need to keep and develop Geriner so that we can get back to having a normal QB stack going forward.