SEC in Bowl Games

AURex

Las Vegas Bowl -- Florida vs Oregon State

Blech! It's hard to believe Florida beat PAC12 champion Utah early in the season, but looked like steaming cow pies against Oregon State. Yes, UF was without their original QB, but it was like the rest of the team just was not there offensively or defensively. I'm not a fan of UF and I know they've struggled without Richardson, but still, this was an embarrassing slap down by a PAC12 also-ran.

Florida kicking the FG kept a small bit of trivia involving AU going.

Florida's 436-game scoring streak started after Auburn's 16-0 shutout of the Gators in Gainesville on October 29, 1988.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SLAG-91 said:

Florida kicking the FG kept a small bit of trivia involving AU going.

Florida's 436-game scoring streak started after Auburn's 16-0 shutout of the Gators in Gainesville on October 29, 1988.

That ‘88 defense was nasty in a great way. 

26 minutes ago, AURex said:

Las Vegas Bowl -- Florida vs Oregon State

Blech! It's hard to believe Florida beat PAC12 champion Utah early in the season, but looked like steaming cow pies against Oregon State. Yes, UF was without their original QB, but it was like the rest of the team just was not there offensively or defensively. I'm not a fan of UF and I know they've struggled without Richardson, but still, this was an embarrassing slap down by a PAC12 also-ran.

Why do you say OS is a Pac12 also-ran. They finished 9-3 plus bowl game. Not bad.

• Like 1

True, they finished 9-3, but lost to USC, Utah and UDub. Maybe "also ran" was not the best choice of words, but they were certainly not an elite team. Florida beat a much better Utah team, only to crumble during the season. I've read that a lot of Florida fans are questioning whether Napier was such a good hire.

Personally, I don't care if Florida loses every game. I just didn't expect them to be shut down and for all intents and purposes, shut out by a PAC12 team. I expected Florida to, at least, play decent defense and make more that 2 yards on offense in the second quarter.

17 hours ago, AURex said:

True, they finished 9-3, but lost to USC, Utah and UDub. Maybe "also ran" was not the best choice of words, but they were certainly not an elite team. Florida beat a much better Utah team, only to crumble during the season. I've read that a lot of Florida fans are questioning whether Napier was such a good hire.

Personally, I don't care if Florida loses every game. I just didn't expect them to be shut down and for all intents and purposes, shut out by a PAC12 team. I expected Florida to, at least, play decent defense and make more that 2 yards on offense in the second quarter.

Commentators in the game made mention that apparently a LOT of UF players sat out the bowl game, while UO had none that did. 

If everyone is now going to sit out of the bowl games, let's just do away with them. 

Or at least have an understanding, my second string agin your second string. 

Or, maybe we'll just set up scrimmages against other teams in the off season.

I understand the reasoning, but that don't make it right.

12 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

If everyone is now going to sit out of the bowl games, let's just do away with them. (1)

Or at least have an understanding, my second string agin your second string. 

Or, maybe we'll just set up scrimmages against other teams in the off season.

I understand the reasoning, but that don't make it right. (2)

(1) or better yet, expand the playoffs to make said bowl games more meaningful for more than 4 teams
(2) agreed.

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

Bowl games used to be somewhat special.  When 6-6 teams and even 5-7 teams can get a bowl game, then that's a good indication that we are way beyond their Best If Used By date.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Ark stomping Jayhawks in Liberty Bowl: difference b/w going 6-6 in Big 12 (er, 10) and going 6-6 in the SEC West.

Now in OT. Kansas evidently came all the way back

• Haha 1

Kansas scored 2TDs and a 2 point conversion in the final 1:05 to tie. 

Targeting confirmed.  Kansas gets another shot at 2 point conversion after Ark stopped at goal line.  The hit was targeting. 

They could have mixed in some of these good bowl games earlier.  All these starting late. I'm ready for bed lol

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

In rather unrelated news, how much longer before the natives begin to get restless in Orlando??

Gus laid his annual bowl game egg.

They already are..big 12 will only get tougher.