SEC in Bowl Games

AURex

24 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Kstate isn't motivated. Had their eyes on the playoff and bama is playing like this is their Superbowl. 

Don’t buy that at all. K state had no chance of making the playoffs . If anybody should be unmotivated it would be Bama 

Just now, DAG said:

Don’t buy that at all. K state had no chance of making the playoffs . If anybody should be unmotivated it would be Bama 

It's a joke. 

• Like 2

Mark stoops is a shame Beamer like hire. Fits perfectly for where he is at. I know some wanted him here at Auburn. No thanks 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Mark stoops is a shame Beamer like hire. Fits perfectly for where he is at. I know some wanted him here at Auburn. No thanks 

Yea he fits the UK program he created there.  It works.  Bowl game seasons on the norm with the occasional special year of some upsets.  Basically Iowa lol.  And since it's never expected to top basketball at UK it works.  Wouldn't work for us. 

That being said, these opt outs for whatever reason really sour the bowl games.  Might as well just do a playoff and drop them except for the G5 teams. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yea he fits the UK program he created there.  It works.  Bowl game seasons on the norm with the occasional special year of some upsets.  Basically Iowa lol.  And since it's never expected to top basketball at UK it works.  Wouldn't work for us. 

That being said, these opt outs for whatever reason really sour the bowl games.  Might as well just do a playoff and drop them except for the G5 teams. 

I personally prefer getting rid of bowl games and doing a 16 team playoffs. But I realize I am in the minority. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

I personally prefer getting rid of bowl games and doing a 16 team playoffs. But I realize I am in the minority. 

I think we are headed in that direction. Next stop 12 teams...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Did you talk to any Tennessee or Clemson fans? If so, how were they? I'm always interested in hearing how other fanbases treats fans from other schools. 

I live in NW Alabama and I'm around quiet a few Tennessee fans. They seem pretty confident that Heupel already has them back to the Tennessee of the 90's. He has done well this year but was pretty average last year. That fanbase has been basement dwellers for 20 years so any bright spot they have gets amplified ×'s 100. I've been around Clemson fans when we've played them and they've seemed pretty chill. Of course they hadn't won a Natty yet when I was around them but Dabo still had them rolling along. 

Most teams have good fans. Some of those good fans turn bad when too much alcohol is involved. Those fans are usually LSU, Georgia and Alabama fans. Ole Miss and Vanderbilt are the nicest fans I've ever encountered however, this latest Kiffin fiasco and then us having Coach Freeze now may turn some Ole Miss fans against us. 

Happy New Years & WDE

Clemson fans have always been nice, even though they only have one chant and it really annoying.  I have been fortunate enough to have been around them in every Chick Fil A bowl and kickoff game we have had against them plus our home and home games against them.  They are getting impatient with Dabo and I am glad our negotiations with Dabo fell through.  Personality-wise he is a good fit but seems like a more expensive Malzahn.

Tennessee fans dominated Clemson fans at the game and I think it is because Clemson is used to going to the playoffs and since they didn’t make it they had no desire to go to this one.  Tennessee fans believe they are up and coming and for good reason.

Tennessee’s marching band is a lot better than Clemson’s as well.  Halftime show was nothing to write home about.  We just went into the club and hung out there.

I think Miami’s stadium is nicer than Atlanta’s, but Atlanta’s food is better.  

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2

So, Tennessee beat the crap out of Clempson.
South Carolina was just overwhelmed by the ND beef.
Bama slapped around the inferior KSU as expected.
Kentucky was helpless on offense without their QB.

No real surprises here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, e808 said:

Looks like TCU coach needs to revisit his comments. K state the Big 12 champ is On the verge of getting blown out by the SEC 3 or 4th place team 

I figured that if bama came to play, they'd win big.

IMO, bama would have beaten TCU/Michigan handily. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

I figured that if bama came to play, they'd win big.

IMO, bama would have beaten TCU/Michigan handily. 

Probably but the fact is that's not always what should decide selection, as paradoxical as that sounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_rankings

Edited by AUwent

Pulling for tOSU to win, but uga will probably run away with it at some point. Hard to beat an NFL team. Glad to see Bennett finally getting sacked. Usually he has all day to stand back there and pass.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Probably but the fact is that's not always what should decide selection, as paradoxical as that sounds.

Oh, I'm glad they got left out. Just looking at it objectively, it feels like it's uga, bama, and then everyone else. If they played TCU or MIchigan's schedule, they'd most likely be undefeated. Not many teams would have kept it close against Tennessee in Knoxville that night. 

3 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Oh, I'm glad they got left out. Just looking at it objectively, it feels like it's uga, bama, and then everyone else. If they played TCU or MIchigan's schedule, they'd most likely be undefeated. Not many teams would have kept it close against Tennessee in Knoxville that night. 

#WeWantNeedVandy

Edited by AUwent

SEC in Bowl Games so far --
Oregon State beat the crap out of Florida 30-3
Wake Forest soundly beat Missery 27-17
Arkansas squeaked out a win over Kansas 55-53
Texas Tech bludgeoned Ole Miss 42-25
Tennessee clobbered Clempson 31-14
Notre Dame bested South Carolina 45-38
Bama squashed Kansas State 45-20
Iowa embarrassed Kentucky 21-0
UGA snuck past Tosu 42-41

Incoming SEC teams --
FSU beat Oklahoma 35-32
UDub beat Texas 27-20

SEC Games Remaining --
Miss State vs Illinois
LSU vs Purdue
TCU vs UGA

SEC not looking wonderful this bowl season so far. Only 4 wins of 9 games, and if you count the 2 SEC incoming teams, 4 of 11.

3 bowl games remaining. SEC cannot achieve a winning percentage in bowl games this year, but has a chance (again) at a Natty.

• Like 1

Not counting Texas and Oklahoma as SEC yet, just like Arkansas and South Carolina prior to 1992 and Missouri and Texas A&M prior to 2012.

LSU and Mississippi State brings it to 6-5, with Georgia to go.

A nod to former SEC member Tulane, who stole USC's Christmas in the last 5:00 of the Cotton Bowl. 2-10 to 12-2 is a hell of a turnaround.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 8:45 PM, AUwent said:

It’s not paradoxical at all.  Bama didn’t deserve to be in it and all the talk is just BS.   Tennessee was more deserving and there was very little talk about them being worthy.  Shows the propaganda machine loves some Bama.  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

It’s not paradoxical at all.  Bama didn’t deserve to be in it and all the talk is just BS.   Tennessee was more deserving and there was very little talk about them being worthy.  Shows the propaganda machine loves some Bama.  

I will say, it's kind of crazy that a two-loss team has yet to be selected. Had there been a playoff in what was the BCS era, there would've been at least five, possibly six years with a two loss team the first nine years (1998-2006).

Edited by AUwent