Idaho killer caught - forensic genealogy??

GoAU

First, I’d like to thank law enforcement for their work in arresting a suspect in the horrific killing of the 4 college students in Idaho.  

However, this got me to thinking about one of the key elements of the investigation according to media sources - forensic genealogy.  I’m assuming they may have gotten DNA from the scene (under the fingernails of a victim?) and compared it to a genealogy site like 23&Me or something similar.  What are your thoughts on this? I’m glad they were able to bring a killer (pending conviction) to justice, but how do you feel about the technique used?  My understanding is it wasn’t his DNA on the site, but they linked his sample to a family member.  I guess this ain’t much different from just taking DNA samples from all babies at birth, since it seems all families at some point will have someone that has someone using one of those sites.   

Just seems interesting from balancing of privacy vs criminal investigation.  

thoughts?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/30/us/university-of-idaho-student-killings-investigation/index.html

Funny, so many of our more conspiracy driven members of society fear the government will take over our lives by force.  In reality, we will hand over our rights to corporations for almost nothing.  We are like primitive cultures handing over their lands for shiny trinkets. 

8 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Funny, so many of our more conspiracy driven members of society fear the government will take over our lives by force.  In reality, we will hand over our rights to corporations for almost nothing.  We are like primitive cultures handing over their lands for shiny trinkets. 

Hoping you aren’t referring to me in this post, because I agree with you.  The really strange thing about this, is even if the suspect didn’t do it, as long as someone in his family did, it would have the same effect.  

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:35 AM, DKW 86 said:

Getting the DNA from babes may be too invasive, but then again, it would benefit the nation. 

“May be” LOL - I was being tongue in cheek with that analogy.  That’s a lot like saying it would benefit the nation if they monitored your phone and electronic communication, web browsing, etc.  

Sacrificing liberty for security is never a good idea.  If it’s an individual choice, I guess that’s on you….

Edited by GoAU
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Agree. If you have to give up a Freedom to gain security you deserve neither. 

Thomas Jefferson - you nailed it. 

I don't see this as a threat to liberty at all.  It's no different than narrowing the field of suspects using any other physical data, such as fingerprints or blood type.

The risk is in how such technology is applied judicially.

Edited by homersapien

21 hours ago, homersapien said:

I don't see this as a threat to liberty at all.  It's no different than narrowing the field of suspects using any other physical data, such as fingerprints or blood type.

The risk is in how such technology is applied judicially.

I get your point, but there isn’t a national database of individual fingerprints, unless you commit a crime.   Blood type isn’t on an individual basis, unless you use the DNA it contains. 

I don't understand why this is getting so much attention. And it seems like they are trying to make the suspect out to being a master mind

On top of that he drove his car close to the scene. They literally started by asking whose car is this in a small town.....This isn't mastermind stuff I know he was getting his PhD but let's call a ball a ball

17 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Don't commit murder and you do not have to worry getting caught by your DNA. Pretty simple. 

I see your point, but how about we extrapolate that a bit…

Don’t commit Conspiracy and the wire taps and monitoring of your email won’t be a problem.  
Don’t maintain illegal materials and contraband and the searches of your home won’t be a problem.

I get these examples may sound extreme - but Rights don’t die with a bang, but with a whimper.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 11:35 AM, cole256 said:

I don't understand why this is getting so much attention. And it seems like they are trying to make the suspect out to being a master mind

Quite opposite of a master mind. 

On 1/2/2023 at 6:47 PM, GoAU said:

I get your point, but there isn’t a national database of individual fingerprints, unless you commit a crime.   Blood type isn’t on an individual basis, unless you use the DNA it contains. 

Not true. Many folks in the military are finger printed as a matter of course. Those fingerprints are in the Codus(?) base too.

6 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Not true. Many folks in the military are finger printed as a matter of course. Those fingerprints are in the Codus(?) base too.

That’s not supposed to be the case, unless something has changed since I was in.  The military also takes DNA samples in case they need to ID your body - but both those and your fingerprints are supposed to be kept in a different database than the criminal ones.   Key words are “supposed to” because I’ve always doubted that myself.  

2 hours ago, GoAU said:

That’s not supposed to be the case, unless something has changed since I was in.  The military also takes DNA samples in case they need to ID your body - but both those and your fingerprints are supposed to be kept in a different database than the criminal ones.   Key words are “supposed to” because I’ve always doubted that myself.  

Good Sir, you were lied to. Many ex-military have been tried and convicted based on fingerprints in the national DB. If the military does DNA capture, wow, that would put so many more in that db too. 

Edited by DKW 86

11 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Good Sir, you were lied to. Many ex-military have been tried and convicted based on fingerprints in the national DB. If the military does DNA capture, wow, that would put so many more in that db too. 

Not terribly surprised - the Army not being completely truthful ??  LoL…

They’ve been doing DNA retains since the 90’s .

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2022 at 10:45 PM, GoAU said:

First, I’d like to thank law enforcement for their work in arresting a suspect in the horrific killing of the 4 college students in Idaho.  

However, this got me to thinking about one of the key elements of the investigation according to media sources - forensic genealogy.  I’m assuming they may have gotten DNA from the scene (under the fingernails of a victim?) and compared it to a genealogy site like 23&Me or something similar.  What are your thoughts on this? I’m glad they were able to bring a killer (pending conviction) to justice, but how do you feel about the technique used?  My understanding is it wasn’t his DNA on the site, but they linked his sample to a family member.  I guess this ain’t much different from just taking DNA samples from all babies at birth, since it seems all families at some point will have someone that has someone using one of those sites.   

Just seems interesting from balancing of privacy vs criminal investigation.  

thoughts?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/30/us/university-of-idaho-student-killings-investigation/index.html

You make very good points.

There is always a tension between collection of such data and privacy.

• Like 1