2025 4* DL Malik Autry commits to AU !

gr82b4au

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

As I said above, with Georgia looking more nationally we don't need to kill it in state to have spacial classes if we do well in Georgia.

Understand your point but if the in-state talent is that good, AU needs to kill it to make a statement.  That AU is going after the top recruits relentlessly and is not conceding anyone to Bama. To me, take control of the state.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

As I said above, with Georgia looking more nationally we don't need to kill it in state to have spacial classes if we do well in Georgia.

Agree to disagree. I get what you're saying, but I believe anytime there is the amount of talent in state like the 23 and 25 classes you have to get yours. Georgia recruiting nationally doesn't mean we walk in and take who we want as you well know. I honestly think we have to do well in both for an elite class. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great beginning to 2025 class. 6'8" 280 pounds and he doesn't look like he has any bad weight. He already has a grown mans body and still as two years to get bigger and stronger without adding bad weight. I am willing to bet money this staff will provide him the type of information he will need to improve both physically and technically.

Things like a nutrition plan, strength and conditioning plan, etc. things that he can use to get better on his own and with his HS program.

Mr. Autry welcome to Auburn and War Eagle.

Such a great point! When they’re committed the coaches can start getting them ready for the SEC by sharing dietary guidelines and drills and what to improve on. Great post AU Texan.

15 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

We’re talking about ‘25 not ‘24

@Jgarrett7I included 25 in my 1st sentence with the statement on 1st 2 classes. I wasn't counting 23 in that statement since he just got the job.

13 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

Understand your point but if the in-state talent is that good, AU needs to kill it to make a statement.  That AU is going after the top recruits relentlessly and is not conceding anyone to Bama. To me, take control of the state.

Again would be nice but may be unrealistic. Even when we were the better team I don't remember a year where we killed it in state in recruiting.

Also we might want to clarify what we mean by kill it in state. To me kill it in state means get at least 75% of the 4 & 5*s in state.

9 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Agree to disagree. I get what you're saying, but I believe anytime there is the amount of talent in state like the 23 and 25 classes you have to get yours. Georgia recruiting nationally doesn't mean we walk in and take who we want as you well know. I honestly think we have to do well in both for an elite class. 

@Tigerpro2a Get yours and killing it aren't the same thing to me. To me getting yours in this state means getting about 35-40% of 4 & 5*s. Killing it is 75% or better. What's your definition of killing it?

• Haha 1

@ellitor I appreciate all you do for this site. Glad you’re back posting. That said, don’t take this the wrong way. I think you’re over thinking this. We’re all just saying ‘25 is off to good start, has chance to be special. In order for that to happen we gotta win in state battles for guys like Henderson and Williams. And to me killing it would be getting about half of the top 15-20 players. That would be significantly better than we’ve done in a while since Uga, Clemson and others started poaching some of our top in state talent. 

Edited by Jgarrett7
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I think you’re over thinking this.

I'm a numbers guy. It's what I do.

2 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

And to me killing it would be getting about half of the top 15-20 players.

That's damn strong and I would love to have it but that's not dominating not dominating. To me, killing it means dominating. Just rarely, if ever, seen us dominate an in state class.

To get us out of the woods, the thesis of what I'm saying is even though 23 & 25 are steller in state classes by normal Alabama standards, it still pails in comparison to Georgia talent (even though Alabama dominated in 5*s in '23). Therefore, if we can do even a bit better in state & get some of the better recruits in Georgia we can still have special classes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Tigerpro2a Get yours and killing it aren't the same thing to me. To me getting yours in this state means getting about 35-40% of 4 & 5*s. Killing it is 75% or better. What's your definition of killing it?

I'd say getting 50% of the 4 and 5 stars is killing it with a class like 25. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'm a numbers guy. It's what I do.

That's damn strong and I would love to have it but that's not dominating not dominating. To me, killing it means dominating. Just rarely, if ever, seen us dominate an in state class.

To get us out of the woods, the thesis of what I'm saying is even though 23 & 25 are steller in state classes by normal Alabama standards, it still pails in comparison to Georgia talent (even though Alabama dominated in 5*s in '23). Therefore, if we can do even a bit better in state & get some of the better recruits in Georgia we can still have special classes.

Likely never will as long as Saban is in town. Has Auburn ever landed more than half of the blue chip recruits in Alabama in the Saban Era?

21 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Likely never will as long as Saban is in town. Has Auburn ever landed more than half of the blue chip recruits in Alabama in the Saban Era?

Not sure we ever have. If so, it was just barely.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

One word answer -- no.  Slightly longer answer -- there will be a point where all things Saban begin to slowly fade.  It happens with everyone.  I think he has 2 separate factors working against him -- time and being so self-centered.    Time takes its toll on everyone, and Saban is getting older every year.   I think he was at his best when CKS was his D coordinator for 8 years.   Now, he is replacing coordinators every year or every other year, I think in part because he is so self-absorded.  I don't care for Jimbo at all, but there is truth in his words that assistants don't enjoy working with Saban (hard to imagine, right) .  I think that word is clearly out there now (he currently hasn't replaced either coordinator).  In the past, some of the new OC's were better than the old ones, at least from a production standpoint -- like Sark in 2020, but over time replacing coordinators every year with a HC that is an age outlier for a college football coach is less than ideal.    And, he has benefitted in the past from hiring folks who needed a rehab -- folks who didn't have other great choices.   Those folks aren't always available.  Continuity is important.   I think by 2025, AU will be the dominant program in the state as Bama struggles to replace Saban and CHF has his feet firmly planted on the Plains.  At least a guy can dream....   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

One word answer -- no.  Slightly longer answer -- there will be a point where all things Saban begin to slowly fade.  It happens with everyone.  I think he has 2 separate factors working against him -- time and being so self-centered.    Time takes its toll on everyone, and Saban is getting older every year.   I think he was at his best when CKS was his D coordinator for 8 years.   Now, he is replacing coordinators every year or every other year, I think in part because he is so self-absorded.  I don't care for Jimbo at all, but there is truth in his words that assistants don't enjoy working with Saban (hard to imagine, right) .  I think that word is clearly out there now (he currently hasn't replaced either coordinator).  In the past, some of the new OC's were better than the old ones, at least from a production standpoint -- like Sark in 2020, but over time replacing coordinators every year with a HC that is an age outlier for a college football coach is less than ideal.    And, he has benefitted in the past from hiring folks who needed a rehab -- folks who didn't have other great choices.   Those folks aren't always available.  Continuity is important.   I think by 2025, AU will be the dominant program in the state as Bama struggles to replace Saban and CHF has his feet firmly planted on the Plains.  At least a guy can dream....   

In order for that to happen....we would need to "kill it" recruiting instate guys lol. 

I get what you are saying although I do believe it to be a bit more nuanced than just "he isn't a good coach to work for"

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure we ever have. If so, it was just barely.

That's all I am saying. I feel like we need to hit 50% of the top 15 or so in that class as well as do really well in GA.  We aren't far off the same page.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:52 PM, SouthGATiger said:

IIRC, Chiz and staff made that priority #1.  Seemed to work well!!

• Zeek unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
11 hours ago, AURex said:

Two recent visits to UF. I'd hate to see him flip to the Gators.

https://sports.yahoo.com/gators-end-dead-period-second-204557217.html

he said in a recent article he had always really liked florida so who knows?

Not really sure about this discussion of in-state, regional recruiting. 

I think, with NIL and conference consolidations, we are in a "new day".  I think the elite programs will have to have a national focus. 

We have to look forward, not to the past.

• 4 weeks later...