Texas and Oklahoma SEC in 2024

toddc

Texas and Oklahoma will depart Big 12 for SEC in 2024

60 minutes ago

Texas and Oklahoma will officially make the move to the SEC following the 2023-2024 school year. The Big 12 Conference announced that the league and officials have come to an agreement that will allow for the Longhorns and Sooners to depart the conference in time for the 2024 college football season.

Horns247's Chip Brown continued to report that Texas and Oklahoma would likely join the SEC in 2024 — despite ESPN's Pete Thamel reporting last week that the talks regarding the pending move had "stalled" and were 'not expected to come to fruition.' Brown reported Thursday morning that talks were not dead and that a source close to the situation remained confident that an agreement would be reached that would allow for Texas and Oklahoma to join the SEC in time for the 2024 football season.

University of Texas president Jay Hartzell released the following statement after the Big 12 Conference announced that an agreement had been made to allow for Texas and Oklahoma to leave the conference one year early.

“We have always been committed to fulfilling our contractual obligations to the Big 12," Hartzell said. "The collegiate athletics landscape has continued to evolve rapidly, and working together to accelerate our exit produced benefits for all parties.

"The Big 12 has been a respectful partner for nearly three decades and we look forward to a final season of spirited competition with out friends and rivals. I appreciate Commissioner Yormark’s and Chairman Schovanec’s thoughtful approach and the collaborative work toward a solution that prioritizes the best interests of all institutions.”

The announcement came down after months of negotiations between the Big 12 and ESPN/FOX. Chip Brown reported on Jan. 12that despite some hurdles regarding the media rights agreements mainly with FOX, it was still expected for the Longhorns and Sooners to be in the SEC in time for the start of the 2024 college football season. 

With those hurdles now resolved, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey announced the SEC will proceed to have Texas and Oklahoma become full members of the conference on July 1, 2024.

What's next for the Texas Longhorns? Stay in the loop on all the latest Texas scoop and join Horns247 today! New members get 30% OFF your first year of Texas insider scoop OR 1 month for $1!

21COMMENTS

"The Southeastern Conference learned today of the decision by the Big 12 Conference to alter the membership exit date for the University fo Oklahoma and the University of Texas," Sankey said in the statement Thursday evening. "We are continuing our preparation for this membership transition, and we look forward to welcoming the Conference's new members and moving into our future as a 16-team league.

"The Presidents and Chancellors of the SEC previously voted with unanimous approval to accept the application of Oklahoma and Texas to join the Conference on July 1, 2025 and have now authorized the Conference Office to proceed with facilitating the transition of Oklahoma and Texas to become full members of the Southeastern Conference on July 1, 2024."

Better get your saddle waxed and put on your spurs boys, the SEC is about to get rowdy!

• Like 3

How long before we FINALLY see the new conference breakdown?  And then football schedule plans?  Kinda anxious to see how we get screwed (again)…..kidding but not.  War eagle!!

• Like 4

Okay, whenever it actually happens, this is going to cause upheaval in the current SEC. I've seen a lot of speculation about reorganizing the SEC, but not anything I accept as official.

No matter what the SEC reorganization,Texas and Oklahoma will be formidable opponents n FB and BB. But also gymnastics, baseball, swimming, etc.

Personally, I'm happy to see hem join the SEC ASAP. It;s gonna UP the game in a lot of sports.

• Like 1

Their all-around programs are good, but in football at least, I don't see much threat from Texas. In the 13 seasons since they won the Natty with Vince Young in 2009, their overall record is 91-72. 56% and that includes the non-conference gimme' games.

Texas needs to figure out what it is in the Austin water that has this fabulously rich school fielding teams below the level of Mississippi State. Yes, dear Longhorns, since 2009, MSU has had 5 seasons of 9 or more wins. Texas has had 2. MSU has had 3 losing seasons in those 13 years, Texas has had 5 losing seasons. Them horns ain't been hookin' much.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Their all-around programs are good, but in football at least, I don't see much threat from Texas. In the 13 seasons since they won the Natty with Vince Young in 2009, their overall record is 91-72. 56% and that includes the non-conference gimme' games.

Texas needs to figure out what it is in the Austin water that has this fabulously rich school fielding teams below the level of Mississippi State. Yes, dear Longhorns, since 2009, MSU has had 5 seasons of 9 or more wins. Texas has had 2. MSU has had 3 losing seasons in those 13 years, Texas has had 5 losing seasons. Them horns ain't been hookin' much.

They won the Natty with Vince Young in 2005. They lost the 2009 Natty to Alabama.

I was looking just a bit ago on Bleacher Report and they had 3 big things officially starting in 2024.

2024 - Texas and Oklahoma join SEC

2024 - USC and UCLA join the Big 10

2024 - The 12 team playoff officially starts

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

How long before we FINALLY see the new conference breakdown?  And then football schedule plans?  Kinda anxious to see how we get screwed (again)…..kidding but not.  War eagle!!

I'm sure pll will find some way to complain. But it's most likely going to be 2+7 schedule and 1 conference standing. 

Well play Bama/UGA then over 4 years be able to play the entire conference over 4 years

Edited by W.E.D
  • Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm sure pll will find some way to complain. But it's most likely going to be 2+7 schedule and 1 conference standing. 

Well play Bama/UGA then over 4 years be able to play the entire conference over 4 years

*3-6

Vandy plz

Anyway, great to hear.

6 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

They won the Natty with Vince Young in 2005. They lost the 2009 Natty to Alabama.

Oops, my mistake!

11 hours ago, AURex said:

Okay, whenever it actually happens, this is going to cause upheaval in the current SEC. I've seen a lot of speculation about reorganizing the SEC, but not anything I accept as official.

No matter what the SEC reorganization,Texas and Oklahoma will be formidable opponents n FB and BB. But also gymnastics, baseball, swimming, etc.

Personally, I'm happy to see hem join the SEC ASAP. It;s gonna UP the game in a lot of sports.

They definitely up the competition, but I also think they will take a step back from what has been preceived since they are also taking a major step up.  Mainly football I am talking about.  They have already proven to kick everyone's backside in some of the other sports, especially softball and gymnastics.   It will feel a little strange that we will start claiming SEC National champs in softball for instance when they were already a living dynasty.  Feels a bit sleazy lol

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I read somewhere that our annual games will be Bama, ga and Carolina. It’s all a work in progress still though. Four sub conferences with four teams each was another possibility I’ve heard. 

7 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I read somewhere that our annual games will be Bama, ga and Carolina. It’s all a work in progress still though. Four sub conferences with four teams each was another possibility I’ve heard. 

Think they moved away from pods and it'll be 1 conference ranking like the B1G.

9 games is a must. Scar makes zero sense. Just give us UF back and restore that rivalry 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Dudes trolling giving us Vandy

Lol. I am down for UF, Bama and UGA. If that makes me a bad fan so be it. I would probably attend a lot more games with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

I'm sure we'll play both of them every year, while UGA will play Vandy and Kentucky twice per season. 

Seriously though, even Sankey pointed out that UGA hasn't been to College Station since aTm joined 12 years ago. So hopefully one division will fix some of the lopsided conference schedules. 

Edited by Sani-Freeze

1 hour ago, DAG said:

”Trolling by putting Vandy.” I know right, how dare we have as manageable a path to the playoff as everyone else?

@ellitor seemed pretty confident last year that we wouldn't get Florida. I hope he's correct.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Lol. I am down for UF, Bama and UGA. If that makes me a bad fan so be it. I would probably attend a lot more games with that.

Apparently it terrifies @AUwent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Apparently it terrifies @AUwent

I'd like to be able to compete for championships, thanks!

Now if everyone had different record requirements for playoff seeding based on SoS (9-3 with the schedule you want, then top 8 seed) then I can accept it. But we played the schedule you're asking for every year in 2019--and we still would've narrowly missed the playoffs in favor of Memphis. So something tells me that there'd literally be no reward.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Dang Oklahoma has to play Texas twice. 🤔 Good job Brandon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Think they moved away from pods and it'll be 1 conference ranking like the B1G.

9 games is a must. Scar makes zero sense. Just give us UF back and restore that rivalry 

Not sure I want a lineup of Bama, UGA and UF annually. I do believe we see a nine game SEC schedule, but damn, Bama and UGA are the two biggest problems for AU. I’ll take SC, who is definitely no pushover, instead of UF. Guess we will see. 

• Thanks 1

For personal reasons I'd like to see our third opponent be Miss St. I do like the old SW conference matchups for Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas and A&M. 

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Texas and Oklahoma SEC in 2024

Trying to keep most rivalries (all the big ones) while avoiding screwing anyone too much. So no one gets three historic powers, as much as I want to pair UAT with LSU...and I know they really really want MSU:

Alabama--Auburn, Mississippi State, Tennessee

Arkansas--Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M

Auburn--Alabama, Georgia, Vanderbilt

Florida--Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee

Georgia--Auburn, Florida, Kentucky

Kentucky--Georgia, South Carolina, Vanderbilt

Louisiana State--Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas A&M

Mississippi--Louisiana State, Mississippi State, South Carolina

Mississippi State--Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri

Missouri--Arkansas, Mississippi State, Oklahoma

Oklahoma--Louisiana State, Missouri, Texas

South Carolina--Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi

Tennessee--Alabama, Florida, Vanderbilt

Texas--Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M

Texas A&M--Arkansas, Louisiana State, Texas

Vanderbilt--Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee

(This miiiiiiiiight be too tough on Florida, IDK.)

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1