2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Cambridge would actually be our best defensive wing option immediately the second he gets here, if Flanigan leaves. No matter how much you value shooting (which he appeared to be better at last year), you gotta get stops too 

He was just under 50% at Arizona State but still under 30% on 3's. The difference is he shot a lot fewer 3's and was more selective on the shots he took. I agree he would be great on D and he works hard on the boards.  My only fear is that under Bruce he might start shooting a lot of 3's. That said I am all for his coming back as he was one of my favorite players when he was here. 

1 hour ago, TigerPAC said:

so the USF guy has 1 year of eligibility but has already transferred from Texas Tech to USF.  

He could be a grad transfer.

For all the fan griping about AF, we'd be all over a transfer with his stats.  It seems unlikely we will upgrade the position with a transfer.

58 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He was just under 50% at Arizona State but still under 30% on 3's. The difference is he shot a lot fewer 3's and was more selective on the shots he took. I agree he would be great on D and he works hard on the boards.  My only fear is that under Bruce he might start shooting a lot of 3's. That said I am all for his coming back as he was one of my favorite players when he was here. 

It looked like 33.3% on espn from 3, which is a marked increase from the previous 2 years (I still don’t understand his freshman season and I watched the entire thing). Like you mentioned though, not great volume. I just think it’s a Pearl problem where guys who aren’t great shooters just aren’t instructed to consider finding other ways to score even if they are open. I don’t fault DC for taking open shots, even back in the day 

Why do we keep talking about two transfers?  What about Chris Moore?  He is a solid option to atleast be backup.

I wouldn’t be mad if we just tanked in regards to filling out the roster with competent depth and just recruited some young, project pieces from high school. Grab some kids from the stands to fill out the roster. Move our resources on to making the 2024 class as good as possible 

14 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Why do we keep talking about two transfers?  What about Chris Moore?  He is a solid option to atleast be backup.

Right now he’s the backup 4 and we don’t even know if our starting 4 will return lol 

• Haha 1

I thought Moore played the 3?  Is he not too short to play power forward??

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wouldn’t be mad if we just tanked in regards to filling out the roster with competent depth and just recruited some young, project pieces from high school. Grab some kids from the stands to fill out the roster. Move our resources on to making the 2024 class as good as possible 

Isn't this what we were hoping for with Traore?

9 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Moore is 6’6” and technically a 3. He was our backup 4 this season because Bruce thought he was a better option than Traore. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lotto said:

My b, I was thinking about a few years ago when he did play that position more. Traore was the back up 4 nominally, but Traore is… so in my head, I thought he’d just be the back up 4 since I figured we’d have small forwards by now…but 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

52 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Why does it have to be a defined back up roll? Find someone who will push whoever the starter is. 

@NWALA Tiger We plan to take 2 SFs. If we try to take 2 impact types there's a good chance no other impact 3s will consider us after we get 1. If we get 1 and then a 2nd, there's a good chance the 1st one would then back out. Better to get a solid contributer like DC when you can so you don't end up with C-Mo & Lior as yout top 3 back up options.

Just now, PotPot said:

Moore is 6’6” and technically a 3. He was our backup 4 this season because Bruce thought he was a better option than Traore. 

Yeah I think he started as small forward when Flanigan was unavailable, but I’m fairly sure he played the back up 4 once Traore was chained to the bench down the stretch 

3 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Isn't this what we were hoping for with Traore?

Well Traore’s tape looked good in HS. He was raw but not THAT raw. He also was a top 20 prospect and we needed another forward 

42 minutes ago, Lotto said:

@Lotto Not to a lot of AU fans and apparently the staff since they are trying to get 2 transgers for the position.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Lotto Not to a lot of AU fans and apparently the staff since they are trying to get 2 transgers for the position.

Obviously, the staff knows better than I do, but I would be ok with C-Mo and Lior as backups if we can find a high quality starter. Like you said, we’re only going to get one starter level guy out of the portal. I would also be happy to get Cambridge back. Can’t have too many athletic wings and he is a lot of fun to watch (even though occasionally frustrating)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It looked like 33.3% on espn from 3, which is a marked increase from the previous 2 years (I still don’t understand his freshman season and I watched the entire thing). Like you mentioned though, not great volume. I just think it’s a Pearl problem where guys who aren’t great shooters just aren’t instructed to consider finding other ways to score even if they are open. I don’t fault DC for taking open shots, even back in the day 

His last season on the plains was hard to watch shooting wise. Toward the end of the season I'd visibly grimace every time he shot the ball. Without looking it up, I remember him going like 25+ straight attempts without a made 3 (and for his low volume, that was a long stretch). And not close misses, he'd miss the entire rim sometimes. Glad to see he improved a bit, but he didn't have much lower to go.

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@NWALA Tiger We plan to take 2 SFs. If we try to take 2 impact types there's a good chance no other impact 3s will consider us after we get 1. If we get 1 and then a 2nd, there's a good chance the 1st one would then back out. Better to get a solid contributer like DC when you can so you don't end up with C-Mo & Lior as yout top 3 back up options.

I disagree. Bruce needs to recruit over the current roster. This is exactly why we are in the shape we are in at the SG position. If these cats are afraid to compete for a starting job , let em look else where. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I disagree. Bruce needs to recruit over the current roster. This is exactly why we are in the shape we are in at the SG position. If these cats are afraid to compete for a starting job , let em look else where. 

You’re not interpreting his post right. He’s saying if you got two starter caliber transfers, the first would leave after find out about the second. If that happens then we’re in a worse scenario than just taking the one starter + depth piece 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You’re not interpreting his post right. He’s saying if you got two starter caliber transfers, the first would leave after find out about the second. If that happens then we’re in a worse scenario than just taking the one starter + depth piece 

I understand what he is saying. And I get it if it's a bona-fide sure fire future lottery pick type player. That's not what we are talking about. This is the very reason we don't have a SG that can shoot right now on the roster

Edited by NWALA Tiger