2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

And the reporters can't be specific on the major issues because they don't have access to players' academics & rightfully so.

Ok, so to my point they are then saying stuff they don't know what they are talking about.

I think I want TJ Bamba just for the name and the possibility of the band breaking into "La Bamba" as he hits a game winning 3 at the buzzer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

KState's Ish Massoud entered the portal. I don't think he completely fits BP's '3 and D' archetype, but the dude can hit a clutch 3. 42% from 3 this year. Not all 3's are equal, and this guy hits timely ones, though he only averages 5.4 points a game.

I wouldn't hate to see him on this team, but I'd understand why he's not exactly what we are looking for.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

KState's Ish Massoud entered the portal. I don't think he completely fits BP's '3 and D' archetype, but the dude can hit a clutch 3. 42% from 3 this year. Not all 3's are equal, and this guy hits timely ones, though he only averages 5.4 points a game.

I wouldn't hate to see him on this team, but I'd understand why he's not exactly what we are looking for.

Would be a nice 3

On 3/28/2023 at 9:52 PM, Maverick.AU said:

Good lord, why on earth do we have so much trouble with majors ugh

Because Auburn University is a better college than that crap hole across the state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Wow, would have almost been easier listing who he hasn't received interest from. 

• Haha 3

Hunter Dickinson the Center at Michigan just entered the transfer Portal. I know with Broome we don't need a center but this guy is a great player he scores inside, rebounds, and added a solid 3 pt shot this year. He is a solidly built 7'1".  

I doubt we go after him but many he is really good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Hunter Dickinson the Center at Michigan just entered the transfer Portal. I know with Broome we don't need a center but this guy is a great player he scores inside, rebounds, and added a solid 3 pt shot this year. He is a solidly built 7'1".  

I doubt we go after him but many he is really good.

Yeah he can be probably be a focal point for some team and that’ll probably result in a solid competitor. I don’t think with what we put an emphasis on, he’ll work though. 

Not saying any of this to disparage your post, I just thought about it myself when I saw he announced. 

A good Auburn roster, at least based on what we recruit and have succeeded with thus far, probably shouldn’t have a primarily back to the basket C be the focal point. 

I think he can have that game as an option, but he should probably be a high end rim roller/rebounder first and foremost. That’s just using past trends and analysis to forecast though, maybe it changes if we get the right combo of pieces 

Tracking Auburn basketball's transfer targets

ByNATHAN KING 8 hours ago

Can Auburn pick up some All-SEC talent in the portal for the third straight offseason?

The Tigers have some obvious needs to address for their 2023-24 roster, and in the early stages of the offseason, Bruce Pearl and company have been plenty active in the transfer portal, contacting prospective future pieces for Auburn next season.

Of course, Auburn needs to get some answers from its own returning players to find out just how deep it needs to dig in the portal, but at the moment, the Tigers still have three scholarship spots to play with right now, and that includes incoming top-30 recruit Aden Holloway. Reminder that Auburn is back up to 13 scholarships this coming season after being down one each of the past two years as part of its NCAA reparations.

Top StoriesREAD MOREFinal Four 2023: SDSU coach Brian Dutcher previewsUConn, ranks Lamont Butler's shot in March Madness history

Let’s take a look at who Auburn has been in contact with from the transfer ranks, why those players are desirable in the portal and why they could be a fit with the Tigers next season.

This list will be updated as often as possible with new transfers targeted by Pearl and his staff.

Current scholarship distribution (3 spots open)

Seniors

F Jaylin Williams (TBD)

G Allen Flanigan (TBD)

C Babatunde Akingbola (TBD)

C Dylan Cardwell

F Chris Moore

PG Wendell Green Jr.

G K.D. Johnson

C Johni Broome

Sophomores

PG Tre Donaldson

Freshmen

PG Aden Holloway

(FIU Athletics)

Denver Jones (FIU)

2022-23 stats: 20.1 pts, 47.8% FG, 37.1% 3-pt FG, 3.8 reb, 2.0 ast, 1.8 STL, 3.2 TO

Eligibility remaining: 2 years

College basketball’s No. 25 scorer this season and the No. 2 scorer in Conference USA, Jones is one of the top options available in the portal right now for teams looking for immediate offensive production in all areas. Both Auburn and Alabama are heavily involved here, and mutual interest for the 6-foot-4 guard makes sense, considering he hails from the Huntsville area in north Alabama. Assuming Allen Flanigan is set to the turn pro, Auburn’s biggest transfer priority is scoring at the 2 guard spot and on the wing, and there aren’t many available better than Jones in that department.

Quincy Olivari (Rice)

2022-23 stats: 18.7 pts, 41.3% FG, 36.4% 3-point FG, 5.9 reb, 2.2 ast, 1.0 stl, 2.5 TO

Eligibility remaining: 1 year

Pearl took a visit last week to see Olivari in Houston, the day Holloway played in the McDonald’s All-American Game in the same city. A score-first point guard during his time at Rice, Olivari is a savvy, fifth-year senior who finished just behind Jones in terms of scorers in Conference USA. The 6-foot-2 Olivari played at Westlake High School, less than two hours from Auburn, and is former teammates with Chuma Okeke. Olivari could come closer to home, but he’s also being courted by the likes of Texas, TCU and Texas Tech, giving him the option of remaining in the Lone Star State.

(WSU Athletics)

TJ Bamba (Washington State)

2022-23 stats: 15.8 pts, 42.6% FG, 37.2% 3-point FG, 3.7 reb, 1.7 ast, 0.9 stl, 2.0 TO

Beginning to notice a pattern? Auburn is prioritizing 3-point shooting in the portal, and Bamba was the sixth-best shooter in the Pac-12 from beyond the arc this season. A lengthy guard at 6-foot-5, the New York native was a strong bench presence his first two seasons at Washington State before blossoming into a starter and the team’s leading scorer in 2022-23.

Damian Dunn (Temple)

2022-23 stats: 15.3 pts, 41.1% FG, 34.8% 3-point FG, 3.7 reb, 3.0 ast, 0.7 stl, 2.8 TO

As crafty wings go, the 6-foot-5 Dunn is one of the most gifted in the transfer ranks at the moment. As is the case with all these top players, Auburn will have to compete against loads of other power programs; Dunn, for example, has already visited NC State.

Jayden Epps (Illinois)

2022-23 stats: 9.5 pts, 41.4% FG, 30.1% 3-point FG, 1.8 reb, 1.5 ast, 0.6 stl, 1.3 TO

Eligibility remaining: 3 years

A former top-100 overall recruit, the Charlotte, North Carolina native is on the move after just one season with the Illini. A shorter combo guard at 6-foot-2, Epps brings versatility to the backcourt and was highly productive as a true freshman. Virginia, NC State and Georgetown seem to have the most steam for his services at the moment.

(Craig Strobeck, 247Sports)

Kel’el Ware (Oregon)

2022-23 stats: 6.6 pts, 45.7% FG, 27.3% 3-point FG, 4.1 reb, 1.3 blk, 1.0 TO

The departure of Yohan Traore opened the door for Auburn to poke around on some potential big men transfers, and at the top of that list is a 6-foot-11 center who was the No. 7 overall prospect in the 2022 class. Much like Traore, Ware is a former elite recruit who didn’t have a massive role at Oregon, and now he’ll have his choice of essentially any team in the country to play for next. It won’t be surprising to see Ware land at an elite program.

AJ Storr (St. John’s)

2022-23 stats: 8.8 pts, 43.4% FG, 40.4% 3-point FG, 1.9 reb, 1.1 TO

Like Ware, Storr is a former top recruit looking for a bigger role after one college season. Shooting better than 40 percent from deep on nearly three attempts per game is going to raise some eyebrows, and the 6-foot-5 wing will have his pick of top programs. Indiana and UConn are seen as early frontrunners here.

Jalen Cook (Tulane)

2022-23 stats: 19.9 pts, 45.2% FG, 34.5% 3-point FG, 4.9 ast, 2.9 reb, 1.8 stl, 2.9 TO

Just a glance at Cook’s numbers shows that he’s one of the top overall transfers in this year’s cycle. Regarded as a potential NBA draft pick in the future, Cook is a pure point guard who’s been one of the best mid-major players over the past two seasons. He started his career at LSU in 2020-21, though, and a return to Baton Rouge is seen as a strong possibility.

(Dale Zanine, USA TODAY Sports)

Kario Oquendo (Georgia)

2022-23 stats: 12.7 pts, 39.2% FG, 26.7 3-point FG, 2.6 reb, 0.6 ast, 1.2 TO

Could Auburn snag another athletic 2-guard from the Bulldogs? His shooting numbers leave some to be desired, but Auburn’s seen Oquendo’s explosiveness firsthand the past two seasons, as the 6-foot-4 guard has been a consistent scorer for Georgia since coming in from the JUCO ranks.

Bradon Lieb (Illinois)

2022-23 stats: 0.9 pts, 58.3% FG, 1.1 reb, 0.4 blk

A 7-footer who rarely saw the floor at Illinois, Lieb is now on the move. A project player like Lieb for the frontcourt could be an option if Auburn needs depth to fill the gap left by Traore, and if reserve center Babatunde Akingbola chooses to leave as a grad transfer.

The others

These are names Auburn reportedly contacted earlier in the transfer process, but there’s been little, if any movement in the Tigers’ direction since.

G Nick Timberlake (Towson)

G Amaree Abram (Ole Miss)

G Jalen Cone (Northern Arizona)

G Joe Girard (Syracuse)

• Thanks 1

I don’t understand some of the negativity going to words some of our individual players.  These people have put in so much work for auburn and I don’t feel that it’s fair to pass so much judgement.  I understand the frustration but don’t think we should single individuals out.  That being said we definitely have needs to fulfill at the 2, 3 and 4 spots.  One thing I don’t understand is the issues with AF. He’s super athletic plays great defense.  He’s not perfect but if we don’t have KD Williams, and Flanagan next year we are going to be in trouble from a depth perspective.  I feel like we have to be a bit realistic with what we’re going to get from the portal.  Even two to three quality players that will contribute will be a great addition. We won’t be able to get a bunch of stars right off the bat, it takes time and we need to knock off the individual toxicity going to some of our players because that will Only hurt auburns chances Atleast in my opinion

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lotto said:

I don’t understand some of the negativity going to words some of our individual players.  These people have put in so much work for auburn and I don’t feel that it’s fair to pass so much judgement.  I understand the frustration but don’t think we should single individuals out.  That being said we definitely have needs to fulfill at the 2, 3 and 4 spots.  One thing I don’t understand is the issues with AF. He’s super athletic plays great defense.  He’s not perfect but if we don’t have KD Williams, and Flanagan next year we are going to be in trouble from a depth perspective.  I feel like we have to be a bit realistic with what we’re going to get from the portal.  Even two to three quality players that will contribute will be a great addition. We won’t be able to get a bunch of stars right off the bat, it takes time and we need to knock off the individual toxicity going to some of our players because that will Only hurt auburns chances Atleast in my opinion

I see you’re new here. 😁

• Haha 4

I'm going to go back and repeat what I said two years ago. The current transfer/NIL setup is not sustainable. Every year the wobble gets greater. How many more seasons before the thing jumps the tracks? This isn't limited to basketball, other sports are in the same unfortunate situation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm going to go back and repeat what I said two years ago. The current transfer/NIL setup is not sustainable. Every year the wobble gets greater. How many more seasons before the thing jumps the tracks? This isn't limited to basketball, other sports are in the same unfortunate situation.

I don't understand all the doom and gloom.  Can you explain a bit more literally than metaphorically?  I kind of feel like if serious issues arise with it hurting ratings then adjustments can be made and fixed from there?  I don't see this at all as the end of college sports.  From the SEC standpoint it seems to have made a great increase.   Maybe some tweaking is necessary from the turnover but why off the rails completely?  Can you explain your point a bit more in depth with examples and concrete predictions?  All love

• Like 3
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Lotto said:

From the SEC standpoint it seems to have made a great increase. 

Increase in what?

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Increase in what?

Fan bases and schools getting more involved in basketball rather than being a football only conference.  We are getting better coaches, players and more fan involvement around the conference as a whole.  No?

3 hours ago, Lotto said:

Fan bases and schools getting more involved in basketball rather than being a football only conference.  We are getting better coaches, players and more fan involvement around the conference as a whole.  No?

I think this was all happening before NIL kicked off. Also, correlation is not causation. NIL being introduced 'around' the rise of the SEC does not mean it had anything to do with it.

• Like 1

Does it not make sense that sec schools make so much money off football since it’s such a grossing sport they can use it elsewhere?

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

@Mikey The new NCAA president is in the procss of making a 2nd time transfer immediately eligible a hard thing to do FWIW.

• Like 2
  • Love 1