2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Nope & JGT just said he likely wouldn't have the grades to come back.

Staff is looking for an impact 3 so they expect Flan to leave.

So his grades got worse since leaving? That is not the Auburn way, Devan. I am very saddened to hear this news. 

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Likely won't have the grades to return to AU per JGT.

Im out of the loop on what JGT said but if Devan is transferring as a grad transfer (as I thought he would have) how can grades be a factor? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So his grades got worse since leaving? That is not the Auburn way, Devan. I am very saddened to hear this news. 

@Dual-Threat Rigby Not necerrily. Some of what he has taken at ASU may not allow him to transfer back to AU in a program that meets satisfactory progress to a degree.

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Im out of the loop on what JGT said but if Devan is transferring as a grad transfer (as I thought he would have) how can grades be a factor? 

Haven't seen it confirmed he's a GT.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nope & JGT just said he likely wouldn't have the grades to come back.

That doesn't even make sense. He's a grad transfer

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Haven't seen it confirmed he's a GT.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2023/04/former-auburn-wing-devan-cambridge-considering-return-to-tigers-for-final-season-per-report.html

Despite previously using his one-time transfer, Cambridge would be immediately eligible as a graduate transfer this season.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2023/04/former-auburn-wing-devan-cambridge-considering-return-to-tigers-for-final-season-per-report.html

Despite previously using his one-time transfer, Cambridge would be immediately eligible as a graduate transfer this season.

Yup! That's a DOH on my part. Anyway, just passing on the info.

Just now, ellitor said:

Yup! That's a DOH on my part. Anyway, just passing on the info.

going back to a comment mad on like page 5, our mods love to use the "grades" comment when they most likely don't know jack

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

What are the odds of DC coming back to Auburn?

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 4.03.56 PM.png

@MDM4AU Just wanted to let you know I moved your post & thread on DC to the transfer portal thread since we are already talking about him in here. If it becomes clear he is a majoe target (seems unlikely at this point) then he will get his own thread.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@MDM4AU Just wanted to let you know I moved your post & thread on DC to the transfer portal thread since we are already talking about him in here. If it becomes clear he is a majoe target (seems unlikely at this point) then he will get his own thread.

No problem. I called myself looking to see if this was mentioned anywhere but I probably just looked in the wrong place.

• Like 1

Couldn’t Cambridge play the three?  Why not go after him heavy we need the bodies imo 

39 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Couldn’t Cambridge play the three?  Why not go after him heavy we need the bodies imo 

@Lotto The staff id looking for an impact player at the 3. That hasn't been DC through his career so far.

51 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Would he be considered a legacy recruit now?  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Lotto said:

I loved some of energy Cambridge could infuse into a game on occasion through his rebounding and dunks, but let's not forget what he was. Using him at the three would be a downgrade from AF in almost every way. He can't shoot.

• Like 2

3 more players Auburn basketball can look to add this offseason

Richard Silva

AUBURN — Auburn basketball made its first big splash of the offseason on Saturday when Florida International transfer Denver Jones announced his commitment to the Tigers. Auburn made his signing official the following day.

He's coach Bruce Pearl's first addition from the portal, but it won't be his last. He has a roster to replenish after Zep Jasper ran out of eligibility, Wendell Green Jr. declared for the 2023 NBA Draft, Yohan Traore and Babatunde Akingbola announced they would be entering the transfer portal and Chance Westry reportedly doing the same.

Jones averaged 20.1 points per game on 47.8% shooting for the Golden Panthers last season. He also connected on 37.1% of his 3-pointers and 84.5% of his free throws. Here are a few other players Pearl could target this offseason to pair alongside Jones and those coming back for another run with the Tigers in 2023-24.

WATCHING THE MOVES:Auburn basketball roster tracker: Which players are returning, leaving or being added?

AUBURN FOOTBALL:How Tigers took 'the right step' during Hugh Freeze's first spring practice

Kario Oquendo

Georgia transfer Kario Oquendo announced March 21 that he would be testing the NBA Draft waters, but also maintaining his college eligibility and entering the transfer portal. A little over two weeks later, he tweeted that he had narrowed down the list of schools recruiting him to four: Auburn, Nebraska, Oregon and Utah.

Oquendo goes against the trend of players Pearl has reportedly been in contact with this offseason. The staff has gone after shooting, but the 6-foot-4 guard only made 26.7% of his shots from long range last season. The difference with Oquendo is his slashing prowess; the Tigers saw that on display Jan. 4 when Oquendo dropped 17 points to give Auburn one of its worst losses of the season.

Efficiency from beyond the 3-point arc would be ideal, but the Tigers can afford a slasher like Oquendo if they continue to add shooters elsewhere.

Russel Tchewa

Auburn was reportedly linked to Marshall transfer center Micah Handlogten, but the 7-foot-1 big man, who averaged 7.6 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in his freshman season with the Thundering Herd, opted to commit to Todd Golden at Florida on Monday.

That same day, however, it was reported by Rivals that the Tigers were in touch with South Florida transfer Russel Tchewa, who entered the portal after spending three seasons at USF. He began his collegiate career at Texas Tech, where he played one season.

Tchewa's numbers steadily improved each year with the Bulls. In his final season, he posted 11.1 points per game on 60.6% shooting to go along with 8.6 rebounds. He appeared in 30 games and made 29 starts.

Blue Cain

This is the wild card. Cain is one of the highest-rated recruits in the Class of 2023 that remains uncommitted; Mackenzie Mgbako at No. 7, Bronny James at No. 33 and Carey Booth at No. 73 are the only three ranked ahead of him, as Cain is the No. 89 prospect in his class, according to the 247Sports Composite.

The Tigers already have Aden Holloway as an incoming freshman, but with so many spots available, the addition of the 6-4 Cain could make sense. Pearl has at least four more scholarships to hand out, and that number could rise after players like Jaylin Williams and Allen Flanigan announce their decisions.

Cain, who originally signed his National Letter of Intent to Georgia Tech before being granted a release, is tagged as the No. 12 shooting guard in the country. He's been in contact with Auburn, according to ESPN, but took a visit to Georgia on April 6, per On3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:24 PM, KansasTiger said:

I loved some of energy Cambridge could infuse into a game on occasion through his rebounding and dunks, but let's not forget what he was. Using him at the three would be a downgrade from AF in almost every way. He can't shoot.

Yep. Let's move forward,  not back

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 2:46 PM, ellitor said:

Likely won't have the grades to return to AU per JGT.

Follow up per Jeffrey Lee. He says Cambridge does have work to do to graduate, but it is doable. Otherwise Auburn and DC would not seriously be considering a return for him.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Follow up per Jeffrey Lee. He says Cambridge does have work to do to graduate, but it is doable. Otherwise Auburn and DC would not seriously be considering a return for him.

I'm not sure why we would consider getting him back anyway

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not sure why we would consider getting him back anyway

@NWALA Tiger Because we plan on taking 2 SFs and he would be a quality depth piece, especially his slasking & energy.

• Like 1

Cambridge would actually be our best defensive wing option immediately the second he gets here, if Flanigan leaves. No matter how much you value shooting (which he appeared to be better at last year), you gotta get stops too 

• Like 2

HOOP SCOOPS: Former player eyeing visit, possible return to Auburn

Jeffrey Lee•about 12 hours

I wrote earlier this week that former Auburn small forward Devan Cambridge is an option to return. He remains one entering the weekend.

Cambridge spent three seasons at Auburn before transferring to Arizona State to play alongside his brother. Now that his brother has exhausted eligibility, Cambridge is looking for a new home and is back in the portal.

Cambridge would need to graduate from Arizona State in order to be eligible to return to Auburn and is working to make it happen. Should Cambridge become eligible, Auburn looks like a legit option for him. The Tigers are looking to add two 3s from the portal and Cambridge could be one of them.

Why two 3s? As Auburn Live’s Justin Hokanson wrote on The Corner, Allen Flanigan is not expected to return. Depth is nil at the position. Cambridge could help fill at least part of the void. He averaged 9.8 points and 5.4 rebounds last season for ASU. He shot 49.4% from the floor and 29.6% from the 3-point line. 

As of Thursday night, no date had been set for a visit, but Cambridge and Auburn are eyeing sometime next week or next weekend. A visit isn’t as important for Cambridge. He knows his way around campus, for sure. Still, he’ll visit and it’ll likely be sometime next week or weekend.

Other options for Auburn at the 3 spot

Nobody new to add to the list since Tuesday’s Hoop Scoops.

As far as I know, the top targets at this time remain Matthew Cleveland (Florida State), Jalen Hill (Oklahoma) and Kario Oquendo (Georgia). There is some concern about Oquendo being eligible to transfer and the Tigers are tracking it.

As of Thursday night, Cleveland, Hill nor Oquendo had a visit set to Auburn. That could change, but as of right now, the only visit tentatively set is for Cambridge.

Auburn is and will continue to keep a close eye on the portal should anyone else of note enter.

Nothing new in recruitment of bigs

Auburn also in in the market for a big, whether it be for a starting role or a backup role. Nothing new to report here.

Ben Middlebrooks from Clemson and Russel Tchewa from South Florida remain on the board.

More on those guys:

Middlebrooks, who is listed at 6-foot-10 and 232 pounds, played in 34 games and started seven this past season, his sophomore season. He averaged 3.1 points and 2.7 rebounds in 11 minutes per game. He also had 13 blocks and 18 steals. Middlebrooks has two years of eligibility.

Tchewa, listed at 7-feet tall and 280 pounds, is coming off his best season at USF. The big guy averaged 11.1 points and 8.6 rebounds per game. He started his career at Texas Tech before transferring to South Florida. He has one year of eligibility.

I just think it is funny Cambridge would visit instead of just phone calls after a 1 year absence.  

• Haha 1