2023 4* FIU Transfer SG Denver Jones Signs With AU!

ellitor

The last couple of lines excites me greatly!

Hoops newcomer sees a different level of work as he settles in at Auburn

Auburn newcomer Denver Jones talks about his transition to the Plains as he joins Bruce Pearl's program.

Jason Caldwell23 mins

AUBURN, Alabama—One of the top transfer guards in the portal after the 2023 season, Denver Jones was a huge addition for Bruce Pearl and the Auburn Tigers after a pair of productive seasons at Florida International University. Originally from Buckhorn High in New Market, Alabama, Jones started his career in junior college before becoming a standout for the Panthers.

Now he’s on the Auburn campus getting prepared for his first season with the Tigers. Known for his ability to shoot the basketball after averaging 20.1 points per game on 37 percent shooting from three-point range and making 84.5 percent of his free throws, Jones is expected to be a key contributor right away this season. 

A newcomer joining a roster filled with returning players, transfers and one true freshman, Jones said a lot of the time so far has just been spent on getting to know each other and team-building to get ready for the season.

“It has been a blessing,” Jones tells Auburnundercover about being in Auburn. “When I first got here, me and the guys were just stressing about being in the gym and building our chemistry together. It has been a great honor being around the returning guys and the transfers. I feel like by the time the season gets here our chemistry will be top-tier.

“The transition has been great. I’m just coming to practice and working hard every day, in the weight room and on the court.”

In addition to building that chemistry with his teammates, Jones has also worked hard on building his body to get ready for life in the SEC. Even though he played D1 basketball, he admits it’s already a different level at Auburn and they haven’t even gotten to the season yet.

“It’s really our work ethic,” Jones said of the biggest difference. “I have a great work ethic, but at this level they expect so much more out of you. It just takes some getting used to that. They expect way more out of us and expect us to put way more weight on than we may be comfortable with. It’s really about getting out of your comfort zone.”

That work ethic extends from the weight room and training sessions to on the court, where Jones said he’s experiencing something he’s never had before.

“This is probably as tired as I have ever been,” Jones said after a recent practice. “I was just telling one of our assistant coaches that the practice did it for me. It’s very important. Coaches like to preach ‘practice is going to be harder than the game,’ and it should be. When you get into the game, that’s when everything is going to slow down.”

As Jones gets ready for his first season on the Plains, he said a couple of the newcomers are guys that Auburn fans need to pay attention to as the Tigers get into the 2023-24 season.

“Chaney and Aden,” Jones said of transfer Chaney Johnson and true freshman Aden Holloway. “Those are the two that really surprised me with how good they were.”

With just a few weeks left until practices begin in earnest, Johnson said he’s excited about this team and what they can accomplish this season.

“I’m ready,” he said. “We have been waiting for this moment for so long. We are going to be overlooked, and I feel like it’s going to be a real fun season.”

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, toddc said:

That's incredible.

This team is going to the best shooting team we've ever had.  Snipers everywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's incredible.

This team is going to the best shooting team we've ever had.  Snipers everywhere.

Sounds great. I have sorely missed those one minute burst that we had with Bryce and Jared where we went from something like being down three to up by ten in the blink of an eye. Would love to have that excitement again. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Chaney Johnson is starting to sound like the portal steal of the year.

He is dominating.  I can't wait to see him playing.  This team has the best chemistry we've had since the F4 run.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That's incredible.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He is dominating.  I can't wait to see him playing.  This team has the best chemistry we've had since the F4 run.

Reality TV gif. Willie Robertson on Duck Dynasty smugly tilts his head up, lifting his eyebrows, and says, “I’m looking forward to it.”

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How far is College Station from you?

About 8 hours. But I do like your train of thought. If it's on a weekend...just maybe...

Arky and Mizzou are closer to me by 2 or 3 hours, but further from you, I imagine.

Edited by KansasTiger

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

About 8 hours. But I do like your train of thought. If it's on a weekend...just maybe...

Arky and Mizzou are closer to me by 2 or 3 hours, but further from you, I imagine.

Arky may work. Let me look into it.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Arky may work. Let me look into it.

You don't want to invite me..?  At least give me the opportunity to turn you down. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You don't want to invite me..?  At least give me the opportunity to turn you down. 

Of course youre invited. And after that comment, if this comes together, you'd HAVE to come.

I'm liking the sound of this already. An Arky weekend (hopefully) away game AUFamily meet up? 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Of course youre invited. And after that comment, if this comes together, you'd HAVE to come.

I'm liking the sound of this already. An Arky weekend (hopefully) away game AUFamily meet up? 

Gotta represent West of the Mississippi...

• Love 2

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's incredible.

21 in a row in 1 minute or just 21 in a row? I did the 21 in a row in high school. Likely took more than 1 minute though. Top of the key was, & still is, my favorite spot.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

21 in a row in 1 minute or just 21 in a row? I did the 21 in a row in high school. Likely took more than 1 minute though. Top of the key was, & still is, my favorite spot.

Link??:poke:

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Either of you want to stop by and pick me up?  Every game is about the same distance for me.  🙃

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Either of you want to stop by and pick me up?  Every game is about the same distance for me.  🙃

Where you at? Mind two five year old boys yelling at you occasionally?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Where you at? Mind two five year old boys yelling at you occasionally?

You stop in and pick me up and that will be the least of my worries.   Jakarta, Indonesia

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, roe4christ said:

You stop in and pick me up and that will be the least of my worries.   Jakarta, Indonesia

I dont think I can make it there with my truck...and after a 16 hour flight, those two five year olds might be a bigger problem then you think 🤣 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I dont think I can make it there with my truck...and after a 16 hour flight, those two five year olds might be a bigger problem then you think 🤣 

I understand.  Can't seem to get anyone to come get me.  Every time we come back to the US, it's never football season, so I am unable to attend any games.  BTW......it is a 14 hour flight to Tokyo and then another 7 hour flight to Jakarta.  It is brutal, especially the older I get.  BTW......our daughter is likely close to you.  She started her junior year at Oklahoma State yesterday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

I understand.  Can't seem to get anyone to come get me.  Every time we come back to the US, it's never football season, so I am unable to attend any games.  BTW......it is a 14 hour flight to Tokyo and then another 7 hour flight to Jakarta.  It is brutal, especially the older I get.  BTW......our daughter is likely close to you.  She started her junior year at Oklahoma State yesterday.

Ah, I definitely underestimated the flight times. I've been to Bali, and was stationed in Okinawa for a while, so I have some idea of the long trek back, but not as long as you. Stillwater is like an hour and change from me. Eaten at Eskimo Joe's a few times on treks through.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Thank-you for spreading the Word my friend.   Are you there with wife and kids?   Give us your story please...   It ain't untoward when people are asking!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Thank-you for spreading the Word my friend.   Are you there with wife and kids?   Give us your story please...   It ain't untoward when people are asking!!!

Originally from Boaz, AL.  Have lived her for almost 18 years now.  Daughter was three when we moved here.  She is now a junior at Oklahoma State.  Why OSU?  We desperately tried to get into Auburn but because we had not lived there for years, they would not consider us Alabama residents, although everything about us is Alabama.  We grieved briefly but took it as the Lord shutting the door and opening up another.  She pretty much has a free ride at OSU, so it all worked out.  We are empty nesters now and loving it.  Love this forum.  Been hanging out in here for about 14 years or so.  Its my only connection to the team.  I still watch every game (albeit at midnight, 3:00am or 6:00am depending on kickoff).  Maybe one day I will actually get to watch a game in person.  A man can pray.......maybe the Lord will answer.

• Like 2
  • Love 1