2023 4* FIU Transfer SG Denver Jones Signs With AU!

ellitor

12 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Is a commut better than a commit?😂😂

🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Tigger1985 said:

Is a commut better than a commit?😂😂

Just means he's bringing his dog too and it's a mixed breed.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Haha 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 4* FIU Transfer SG Denver Jones Commits to AU!
6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Very nice 

Wo wo there! Tone it down some now. Don’t get too excited!!! 😂😂

929EBAEF-6263-4232-AC91-E7235A5A1DB6.gif

• Haha 1

Seeing KD Johnson’s reaction kinda makes me think he’s coming back regardless.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lotto said:

Yes and he’s cool with being a backup and his minutes still staying not that high.  He played well at the end of the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lotto said:

He actively recruited the guy here and is presumably a part of the Oquendo recruiting 

• Thanks 2

I'd say this officially makes us a contender for next season, and I got a feeling Bruce is just getting started.

Hats off to Steven, too. He keeps coming up big in places where he needs to come up big if he wants serious consideration for taking over when Bruce steps down, whenever that might be.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He actively recruited the guy here and is presumably a part of the Oquendo recruiting 

I just want a sniper at the 3 even if we had to sacrifice some defense. Sec basketball was awful to watch this past year because you had 2 good offenses and a bunch of junky trash offenses. And really a lot of the sec defenses got overrated because you were always going up against a bad offense unless you played mizzou or bama. College basketball it’s a lot easier to play good defense because of no defensive 3 seconds. You can take chances on guys who are not plus defenders who are shot makers and/or 3 point snipers. Buuuuut Bruce always places a premium on defense so I’m sure if baby flan leaves which seems pretty likely a clone of his in terms of style of play instead Oquendo will be towards the top of his wish list as a replacement…. I’m not saying have all traffic cones on defense buuuut it’s ok if we have a couple of guys who aren’t known for their defense if they are knock down shooters.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m not say have all traffic cones on defense buuuut it’s ok if we have a couple of guys who aren’t known for their defense if they are knock down shooters.

I agree completely. As long as they're willing to try on defense, I feel like Bruce and the assistants can work with them and make them at least serviceable on that side of the ball.

Bare minimum, Jones seems likely to play up to his 3 point percentage from a year ago, being that he's such a lengthy guard and he (hopefully) will not have to be the primary scoring threat (by the time we're finished building next year's team) for us... and even if he *is* the primary scoring threat, his subsidiary weapons will be more substantial than they were last season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m not say have all traffic cones on defense buuuut it’s ok if we have a couple of guys who aren’t known for their defense if they are knock down shooters.

I'm good with that. It reminds me of the first time I heard something similar and it was in baseball. Rafael Beliard barely hit above the Mendoza line but he was the one best defensive shortstops around. Bobby Cox said he could forgive his batting average because of the runs he saved with his defense. If we get a guy who can knock down threes and we happen to trade them for twos on defense then we win a lot of games. By the way, don't want traffic cones on defense either but I'd settle for one of those big barrels out there. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'm good with that. It reminds me of the first time I heard something similar and it was in baseball. Rafael Beliard barely hit above the Mendoza line but he was the one best defensive shortstops around. Bobby Cox said he could forgive his batting average because of the runs he saved with his defense. If we get a guy who can knock down threes and we happen to trade them for twos on defense then we win a lot of games. By the way, don't want traffic cones on defense either but I'd settle for one of those big barrels out there. 😁

Well, I will say that with 8 position players batting (not to mention one of the better hitting pitching staffs in MLB history), Bobby Cox could afford a sub-par offensive player a little more easily than Bruce can afford a sub-par defensive player out of the five he puts on the floor, so we need more than just a dud on defense, and I feel confident that if Bruce wants to bring a player in, they're going to be willing to put forth at least a little bit of effort toward playing D.

Besides, don't I remember hearing talk of NBA scouts loving the defensive skills they get out of Bruce-coached players? One would think that any player good enough on offense that any college team would want him regardless of defensive skill is good enough to warrant a shot at the Association, and thus improving their defensive skills would only enhance their chances, but I'm not going to pretend I understand what goes on in the heads of some of these kids.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I'd say this officially makes us a contender for next season,

Not unless we get a good starting 3. Also need a veteran PG to seal us as contenders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not unless we get a good starting 3. Also need a veteran PG to seal us as contenders.

We're not done building the team yet, no, so maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but I'm taking this to mean that most signs are pointing up for AU basketball right now...and even with an average starting 3, which I can't imagine we'll fall short of, having Jones with Broome and Jaylin would make us contenders for the SEC, at least, wouldn't it? Or am I still putting too tall of expectations on Jaylin's shoulders?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I thought you said earlier we weren't going to bring in anyone at PG for this year besides AH? Has that changed?

If we need a veteran PG, go get Cryer and let him run some point.

Edited by KansasTiger

16 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Would Cryer be willing to be a role player for us, should Aden live up to his McDonalds High School All-American status and take over the PG position? I presume that's the issue with bringing in a quality experienced PG, or for that matter with Wen sticking around another year...

P.S. Is it bad that I associate you with basketball because you're from Kansas, and that's the only money making sport UKa has ever been particularly good at?

Edited by Rednilla
Adding the P.S.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Would Cryer be willing to be a role player for us, should Aden live up to his McDonalds High School All-American status and take over the PG position? I presume that's the issue with bringing in a quality experienced PG, or for that matter with Wen sticking around another year...

P.S. Is it bad that I associate you with basketball because you're from Kansas, and that's the only money making sport UKa has ever been particularly good at?

While I do post in football and recruiting, I'm more active here, and living in basketball country for as long as I have now definitely plays a part in that.

Yeah getting an experienced PG to essentially fill gaps while Aden comes along is going to be tricky. Would have been perfect if we had someone like Mark Sears to fill that role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

We're not done building the team yet, no, so maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but I'm taking this to mean that most signs are pointing up for AU basketball right now

To soon to say right now.

having Jones with Broome and Jaylin would make us contenders for the SEC, at least, wouldn't it?

As with everything else in college basketball it all depends on PG play.

Or am I still putting too tall of expectations on Jaylin's shoulders?

Sounds more likel you are assuming PG play will be good. It may be but is not a given because as good as Tre was on O in the NCAA Tourney he hasn't been so good on D in his career so far. Also while Aden is listed as a PG by recruiting sites, most of his AAU & HS career he has been a SG. It's a tall ask for any true freshman to be a good PG in the SEC, much less one that hasn't played the position. Those are the reasons why I say we need a vet PG but I haven't really heard us looking for 1 yet.

@KansasTiger

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

That's what he wants to play but our staff apparently doesn't like him as a PG.

• Like 1