Fox News settles lawsuit with Dominion for $787 million

TitanTiger

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Fox will be able to write off the entire amount.  The American taxpayer will help them cover this "expense".

IMO, payments made as the result of a lawsuit or, fines by government, should NOT be tax deductible.

I believe Dominion is going is going to help because they will have to claim the settlement as income and pay taxes.

Just to reiterate, defamation cases are very hard to win as plaintiffs so for Fox News to settle this case before trial meant they were very concerned of an adverse jury verdict against them for billions. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 7:19 PM, creed said:

I believe Dominion is going is going to help because they will have to claim the settlement as income and pay taxes.

I dont think Dominion owes any taxes on a court settlement.

13 hours ago, Didba said:

Just to reiterate, defamation cases are very hard to win as plaintiffs so for Fox News to settle this case before trial meant they were very concerned of an adverse jury verdict against them for billions. 

AND having their "talent" permanently damaged by explaining all those messages about how crazy trump and the election fraud really was on primetime.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Typically (I think)  if a settlement is from non physical injuries it is treated like income and taxable. Granted, I am sure they will find ways to offset it on paper. But considering this lawsuit settlement is orders of magnitude higher than their normal annual revenue that may be hard. I hope their employees get a heck of a bonus this year and send Fox a lot of fruitcake for Christmas.

Edited by wdefromtx

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

AND having their "talent" permanently damaged by explaining all those messages about how crazy trump and the election fraud really was on primetime.

No doubt that the threat of a public apology added major leverage in settlement negotiations. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

23 minutes ago, Didba said:

No doubt that the threat of a public apology added major leverage in settlement negotiations. 

I'm thinking this is a big reason why Dominion settled. The way Smartmatic is talking (and of course it could be bluster), their evidence is even stronger. Dominion may have just said "screw it, let's take the money and run" and let Smartmatic do the dirty work. If Fox ends up having to publicly apologize to Smartmatic, the public at large will just lump Dominion in with them.

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I think it depends on the type of damages.  Is there a lawyer in the house?