Fox News settles lawsuit with Dominion for $787 million

TitanTiger

Dominion was originally seeking double that amount ($1.6 illion) but holy smokes that a lot of money.  Will be interested to see what the terms are and what Fox had to admit to.

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/fox-news-dominion-trial-04-18-23/index.html

Put another way, there's no way you settle for almost $800M if you really believe you had a good defense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• TitanTiger changed the title to Fox News settles lawsuit with Dominion for $787 million

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Dominion was originally seeking double that amount ($1.6 illion) but holy smokes that a lot of money.  Will be interested to see what the terms are and what Fox had to admit to.

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/fox-news-dominion-trial-04-18-23/index.html

Put another way, there's no way you settle for almost $800M if you really believe you had a good defense.

Can't blame Dominion a bit for settling on this...it's probably what we all would have done....but it's obviously disappointing. This lets Fox News control the narrative to those they already have in thrall (which of course they're already doing) and the talking heads that were the worst offenders don't have to admit to a thing. 

And the wheels go round....

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Did Dominion have help from other media sources?  Interesting.

Irrelevant. Fox lied. Fox knew they lied. Fox knew they were likely to lose big.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Irrelevant. Fox lied. Fox knew they lied. Fox knew they were likely to lose big.   

I don’t think it was irrelevant to Fox.  The case was only going one way, but for the Dominion lawyer to publicly thank other media organizations draws a distinction line between conservative news organizations and others.  Its almost as if the other media organizations wanted to get rid of Fox and quell dissenting voices.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t think it was irrelevant to Fox.  The case was only going one way, but for the Dominion lawyer to publicly thank other media organizations draws a distinction line between conservative news organizations and others.  Its almost as if the other media organizations wanted to get rid of Fox and quell dissenting voices.

No it was to draw a distinction between actual news organizations and those cosplaying at it like Fox. It was to draw a distinction between those reporting the truth about this matter and Fox, who lied about it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No, it is absolutely relevant in how potential jurors view the case. Let's not be naive. 

Look, they misrepresented evidence and paid for it. Personally, I wish this would become the norm, but pardon me if I'm doubtful. Lies are told daily on MSM with no repercussion. Hopefully this sends a message. Again, I'm doubtful.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

No, it is absolutely relevant in how potential jurors view the case. Let's not be naive. 

Look, they misrepresented evidence and paid for it. Personally, I wish this would become the norm, but pardon me if I'm doubtful. Lies are told daily on MSM with no repercussion. Hopefully this sends a message. Again, I'm doubtful.

No it isn’t relevant. The other news orgs told the truth, both about the election and about the false claims Fox made. It’s too bad if the truth biases people. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Because clearly Fox didn't influence how any jurors viewed it, right?

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No it isn’t relevant. The other news orgs told the truth, both about the election and about the false claims Fox made. It’s too bad if the truth biases people. 

Wrong. It's relevant as previously mentioned. People perceive what they desire. That's uncontrollable and witnessed daily. Other news organizations lie overtly with no repercussion. To bury one's head in the sand is also a desire.  

And again, I hope this sets a standard, but I'm doubtful.

11 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

That was the right kind of influence. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Sure they did. But that doesn't answer the point. So you're not swayed by your news of choice? 

45 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:
23 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I mean it sounds like she’s thanking the media for covering the court case and providing coverage for what was happening in it…..reporting factual information. 

i can see how conservatives might not ‘like’ other networks covering the admitted lies and fabricated stories of the largest Conservative News network in the country, but that doesn’t make other media wrong or bad for reporting on what was factually happening with Fox and Dominion. 

This is a problem of Fox’s own making.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Wrong. It's relevant as previously mentioned. People perceive what they desire. That's uncontrollable and witnessed daily. Other news organizations lie overtly with no repercussion. To bury one's head in the sand is also a desire.  

And again, I hope this sets a standard, but I'm doubtful.

If the other news orgs said anything untrue, Fox is welcome to sue them. 

Wanna take odds?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

If the other news orgs said anything untrue, Fox is welcome to sue them. 

Wanna take odds?

I'm trying to recall a case of a news org suing another. Remind me.

No, I wouldn't take odds on any news org suing another.

Facts have an anti-Fox bias. 

Can we add a Joy Behar emoji?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I mean it sounds like she’s thanking the media for covering the court case and providing coverage for what was happening in it…..reporting factual information. 

i can see how conservatives might not ‘like’ other networks covering the admitted lies and fabricated stories of the largest Conservative News network in the country, but that doesn’t make other media wrong or bad for reporting on what was factually happening with Fox and Dominion. 

We can agree it was their own making. They deserved what they got.

But you do not have to be conservative to acknowledge the daily lies of MSM. One would hope as an American you would call it out and not just agree because it fits your narrative. And we aren't specifically speaking to a single topic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I'm trying to recall a case of a news org suing another. Remind me.

No, I wouldn't take odds on any news org suing another.

I’m trying to recall a situation where someone had reason to. 

Unless you have something to show the other mainstream news orgs said something untrue about this case , this complaint rings hollow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

When she says thank you for being with us through this journey and helping expose what we could; does not sound like just covering the court case especially since they settle before really going to court.

17 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

If Fox was the only network spewing untruths I could agree with this, but we all know that’s not the case.  Is Trump an actual Russian agent?

19 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The only thing you said I can totally agree with.

• Like 1

I’m trying to recall a situation where someone had reason to. 

Unless you have something to show the other mainstream news orgs said something untrue about this case , this complaint rings hollow. 

So no answer. Noted.

I could literally write a book as could you if one were honest. And stop with "this case" nonsense. Lying by MSM is basically a daily recurrence. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Fox News Most Trusted and Most Watched Even After Dominion Revelations, Latest Poll Shows

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-most-trusted-and-most-watched-even-after-dominion-revelations-latest-poll-shows/

That poll does nothing but tell you that conservatives watch and trust Fox News almost exclusively over any other news networks while liberals and independents split their ‘watched and trusted’ votes among all the other contenders. You can tell this because the total of the percentages in the chart add up to well over 100%. People could pick one or multiple options. Fox got all the conservatives votes while all the other options had to ‘share’ the rest of the respondents.

heres a Yougov survey from Aug 2022 that shows Fox News being one of the least trusted news sources in the country, only Breitbart performed worse. https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/04/05/trust-media-2022-where-americans-get-news-poll

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

So no answer. Noted.

I could literally write a book as could you if one were honest. And stop with "this case" nonsense. Lying by MSM is basically a daily recurrence. 

All that’s relevant to this settlement is this case. Either the other news orgs knowingly lied about what Fox did or they didn’t. If they did, Fox has grounds for a suit.  If they didn’t, then shut the **** up. 

• Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Fox News Most Trusted and Most Watched Even After Dominion Revelations, Latest Poll Shows

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-most-trusted-and-most-watched-even-after-dominion-revelations-latest-poll-shows/

Conservatives would rather believe lies. Details at 10. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1