What do you guys miss about Auburn football?

aubiefifty

i miss going to parades when they had them like jawja tech or homecoming. it was such a fun things with creative floats. i also miss you never get to see much of bands anymore which to me was always part of the deal. they also do not show the cheerleaders near as much and is there anything more beautiful than a woman in orange and blue? maybe golfs golf swing from what i here. i thought since it is slow me might look back or forward or whatever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I miss looking forward to the games. Planning my Saturday around them. Now, if the fish are biting or  I get a golf invite, I might not even record it. This is just the last two years. I might be getting this way towards sports as a whole.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i miss going to parades when they had them like jawja tech or homecoming. it was such a fun things with creative floats. i also miss you never get to see much of bands anymore which to me was always part of the deal. they also do not show the cheerleaders near as much and is there anything more beautiful than a woman in orange and blue? maybe golfs golf swing from what i here. i thought since it is slow me might look back or forward or whatever.

I miss the drill fields and the sea of tailgating you walked through on the way to the stadium. I miss the lively feel of Auburn's campus when you could easily access any part of it and park nearby. I miss the college feel of college street before it was swallowed by condos and boutique stores. I miss the simplicity of Jordan Hare stadium before they slapped that giant atrocity in the endzone. I miss burnt orange, big bruiser running backs and the I-formation. I miss feeling like you would at least get three years to watch a player grown up on the field in an Auburn uniform and the build-up with one signing day at the end of the season. 

I miss the complete lack of Saban and his minions from the SEC and I miss Steve Spurrier and Bobby Bowden coming to Jordan Hare. 

• Like 6

i wonder if they still have homecoming parades? those were fun but the wreck tech parades were the best. women in their pj's and football players dressed up like women with wigs. the sidewalks were just slammed full and i am not sure if i have seen or heard that many people laughing at those in the parade cutting up. and i still remember jumping out of my shoes when a tuba guy in the band got me right up against my ear and blasted me slap outta my shoes. he got me good.

• Like 1

I miss the honest to goodness feeling I had that we could win every game we played when Dye was coaching. I miss the old version of the Auburn Football Review when there was more game footage than commercials. I miss being able to go to a game when I got the urge to go by swinging by a Colonial Bank in Bham and purchasing tickets. I miss my golden age of Auburn football when players didn't celebrate sticking a guy twenty yards down the field after the pass rush and defensive line failed to do their job. I miss players who simply dropped the ball and went to the next play and let the referee signal the first down instead of themselves doing it. 

Yeah, I'm older and wiser and impatient and set in my ways but I do still love Auburn football and I'm not going to join the 47% who apparently have left the building per the stupid article in another thread. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I miss the Supper Club!

Tailgating at the amphitheater!

Winning!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

We win like we always do and you go have a nice diner with your date at Greeley's.  

I used to work with Bill Greeley. His wife managed the restaurant and we went there many times for lunch or drinks after work. Great place. Great times. 

I miss getting ready to watch the games with my dad when I was younger.  Most of you know he passed in 2012.  Now.  I got divorced last year and since then I’ve met this wonderful woman and yes a huge auburn fan.  She carried me to my first basketball game in auburn.  Now I have so much to look forward to.   You never know what good can come from such a painful time. 

• Like 4

1. Bo Jackson.

2. Pat Dye.

3. Jim Fyffe.

5. Stan White (already).

6. Those tough defenses of the 1980s and early 1990s.

7. Playing GA Tech (and the annual Wreck Tech Parade).

8. That run attack led by Nick Marshall and Tre Mason.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I miss the old cartoon covers of the great gameday programs with the Auburn Tiger doing something bad to the UA elephant, the Wake Demon Deacon, the GT Yellow Jacket, the UGA dog, etc. Always entertaining, especially as a kid going to games. Someone should do a coffee table book with a collection of all the cartoon covers. I would expect a lot of interest.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Watching Auburn be exciting on offense, having actual big play capability, not feeling like its over if we get down 10 pts, being physical up front on both lines of scrimmage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gr82be said:

I used to work with Bill Greeley. His wife managed the restaurant and we went there many times for lunch or drinks after work. Great place. Great times. 

It was very good!!!

3 hours ago, tigerchris said:

I miss getting ready to watch the games with my dad when I was younger.  Most of you know he passed in 2012.  Now.  I got divorced last year and since then I’ve met this wonderful woman and yes a huge auburn fan.  She carried me to my first basketball game in auburn.  Now I have so much to look forward to.   You never know what good can come from such a painful time. 

Happy for you brother!!!!    We don't always understand the Lord's plan for our life, but when we are in a relationship with him his plan is perfect.   I hope your new love lasts forever.

• Love 2

16 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I miss the old cartoon covers of the great gameday programs with the Auburn Tiger doing something bad to the UA elephant, the Wake Demon Deacon, the GT Yellow Jacket, the UGA dog, etc. Always entertaining, especially as a kid going to games. Someone should do a coffee table book with a collection of all the cartoon covers. I would expect a lot of interest.

Like this........Phil Neel was great

60tennessee-smaller.jpg

1960-Auburn-Ga-smaller.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Exactly! Thanks augolf for posting these classic covers. They bring back fond memories of AU football of my childhood. Could not remember Phil Neel's name. Does AU own the rights to these covers? Any idea how many years Neel drew the cartoon covers for the gameday programs and when they stopped?

• Like 1

winning. being respectable. not being embarrassed by the product on the field. being in the headlines for right reasons, and not wrong or embarrassing reasons. being able to compete with anyone, anywhere, anytime. Posts like this are the kinda things I love about this forum, and the Auburn family. I miss the good ole days and I'm not even 40 years old. Thanks for the trip @aubiefifty!

War Damn Eagle, boys! :wareagle:

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 2

is anyone here old enough to remember when the eagle was in a cage about halfway between downtown and the stadium? i used to go by often when i was a rugrat. in fact when my mother was a child she buried a dead kitten under or by the eagles cage. she says that was a true fact.