What do you guys miss about Auburn football?

aubiefifty

55 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

is anyone here old enough to remember when the eagle was in a cage about halfway between downtown and the stadium? i used to go by often when i was a rugrat. in fact when my mother was a child she buried a dead kitten under or by the eagles cage. she says that was a true fact.

Yep, it got taken down either my first or second year (2001-2002), and then it was the parking loop for the Tiger Transit.

Edited by j0hnnyRingo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

is anyone here old enough to remember when the eagle was in a cage about halfway between downtown and the stadium? i used to go by often when i was a rugrat. in fact when my mother was a child she buried a dead kitten under or by the eagles cage. she says that was a true fact.

Yes, I remember that.  I was a student there at the time.

Someone back then told me a story about a cat getting in the eagle's enclosure and, well...supposedly the eagle ate a good, fresh meal that day.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, WillMunny said:

Yes, I remember that.  I was a student there at the time.

Someone back then told me a story about a cat getting in the eagle's enclosure and, well...supposedly the eagle ate a good, fresh meal that day.

i am glad you remember the cage!  my memory plays tricks on me all the time. i guess maybe they moved it thinking some idiot would hurt the bird or maybe lose a finger trying to pet it. i cannot remember why my mom buried the cat under or i guess by the cage. catch me next time for a story of me and my cousin at the flush waiting on footlongs pulling gum out from under the table and chewing the hell out of it.lol. man our parents were furious. thanx for replying...............

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I remember the one next to the stadium, but don't recall one closer to downtown?

• Like 1

Just now, The Freak said:

I remember the one next to the stadium, but don't recall one closer to downtown?

it was about halfway between the stadium and downtown. i always found it odd. there were tons of flowers planted in that area as well.

Meeting up at the NROTC tail gate before the game with or without a date.  Watching a great defense and Bo, little train and other running their buts off.  Coming out horse from yelling so much and then hitting up the band parties with my friends.  Great times...oh and being pissed a UGA fans who we had to hose when they wouldn't leave the stadium...good times...

I miss being respected as an opponent and not looking like The Little Giants. I also miss having a quarterback that I didn't have to cuss out the whole game. To be fair, we have only had a QB like that for like 4 of the years I've been alive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This wont be popular among some of you younger folks but...

I miss the days of playing Tennessee early in the season and it was the gauge for how your season was going to go. 

I miss Amen Corner because Auburn gave out as much pain and suffering and they took and there was not only a great chance that we'd take two of the three but a pretty good chance we could win all three. 

As Bigbird pointed out earlier, teams used to fear us, now they don't. Gotta change that. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

it was about halfway between the stadium and downtown. i always found it odd. there were tons of flowers planted in that area as well.

I actually thought it was more towards the drill fields and where Magnolia and Donahue meet. May be wrong on the location, but it was very small.

1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

I actually thought it was more towards the drill fields and where Magnolia and Donahue meet. May be wrong on the location, but it was very small.

i do not remember streets other than east glenn where my parents lived. but yes it was a very small cage.

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I remember it being here near the stadium. I walked past it on the way from Haley Center to Parker Hall. 

Screenshot_20230425-231705~2.png

I miss hanging out on Haley Square with a group of hippie girls in little halters (or alling out of them), getting high, and cheering on our team with more mind-altering celebratory chemicals. Because ...... hahahaha ...... not conformists.

I know, this is not what was expected.

I miss smuggling a zip bag full of liquor into JHS, passed the ticket takers, to the concession stand, to get a coke and get to my seat before the bag starts leaking. 

I miss watching the game from the student section. 

I miss Coach Dye. 

I miss going to games and seeing a stadium 🏟️ full of people wearing every color of shirt and cap under the Sun with no pre-selected color scheme. And I miss cranking up Louie Louie in the 4th quarter when we had secured a big win. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

In the early 70's I think it was on the corner where the ROTC bldg is now. Thatch and Donahue?? 

For my time in school it was between Haley and Parker. formed a nice backdrop for all the nut jobs preaching / screaming at the wayward coeds

Edited by EastAl_Tiger

22 hours ago, The Freak said:

This is the one that I remember. I remember in the early 80s going and petting the eagle outside the stadium. Wow- what a Great memory. 

1 hour ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

In the early 70's I think it was on the corner where the ROTC bldg is now. Thatch and Donahue?? 

For my time in school it was between Haley and Parker. formed a nice backdrop for all the nut jobs preaching / screaming at the wayward coeds

That sounds about right; back near Donahue. That would be close to the drill fields. Not far from Cary Hall?

On 4/24/2023 at 2:06 PM, j0hnnyRingo said:

Yep, it got taken down either my first or second year (2001-2002), and then it was the parking loop for the Tiger Transit.

if you are driving past toomers corner and driving past the university a few blocks down on the left is an old concrete building that was painted white. my mother and father met there in the very early fifties. and it was a club with a band. i often wonder if it was still there. my grandfather would take me to the park on eat glenn acoss from the fire station and let me play. they had an old log bridge that was not very big but he would tell me to run as fast as i could because a troll lived under that bridge and if he caught me he would eat me. i was also told my grandfather james V clayton taught horseback riding for aubufn rotc but have never found anything. he was in the cavalry in world war 1.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

if you are driving past toomers corner and driving past the university a few blocks down on the left is an old concrete building that was painted white. my mother and father met there in the very early fifties. and it was a club with a band. i often wonder if it was still there. my grandfather would take me to the park on eat glenn acoss from the fire station and let me play. they had an old log bridge that was not very big but he would tell me to run as fast as i could because a troll lived under that bridge and if he caught me he would eat me. i was also told my grandfather james V clayton taught horseback riding for aubufn rotc but have never found anything. he was in the cavalry in world war 1.

Not much if anything original remains on the left once you pass Smith Hall and the Chapel. Maybe some of the older homes on down and across from the arboretum. The park you visited would be Felton Little and remains in tact. Not sure about a bridge. Did log a lot of time there in the 90s with t ball and coach pitch.

I don’t recall the eagle cage being toward town. I was thinking it was toward the drill field. Do know when it was located on the Haley Center side of the stadium that the WGLE record spinner would get stoned and offer prizes to first person that could get  the Eagle to move off perch. He got reprimanded for encouraging Eagle harassment.

• Love 1