Freddy Weygand, Lawyer Tillman and Alexander Wright

StatTiger

Lawyer had great hands and was just impossible to guard. Lawyer came right out of the box ready to go. Just built to catch the football. Nice guy also.

Ace was just blindingly fast. And strong as an ox for his size. One of the nicest individuals I have ever met.

Freddy was one of the most talented WRs I have ever seen. He was deceptively fast and had good hands. However his strength was the smoothest feet I have ever seen. He would just glide through his routes. To stand behind him and watch him run this routes made you envious of that ability. 

People forget that Freddy and Lawyer came along when AU was just starting to use WRs to actually catch the ball instead of just blocking. Their first season saw them split out with one hand on the ground.

Ace used to run neck and neck with Bo Jackson in the sprints. He was that fast. He developed into one of AU's best players with the ball in his hands.

Those highlights came as Pat Sullivan was brought in to move away from the wishbone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I loved Freddie and Lawyer.  I wish we could get even one with that type of talent.  Someone to go to when you absolutely must have a big play. Wright was the go to when we needed to take the top off the defense. If speed kills he had it.  Probably the fastest guy we ever had at the receiver position.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Lawyer had great hands and was just impossible to guard. Lawyer came right out of the box ready to go. Just built to catch the football. Nice guy also.

Ace was just blindingly fast. And strong as an ox for his size. One of the nicest individuals I have ever met.

Freddy was one of the most talented WRs I have ever seen. He was deceptively fast and had good hands. However his strength was the smoothest feet I have ever seen. He would just glide through his routes. To stand behind him and watch him run this routes made you envious of that ability. 

People forget that Freddy and Lawyer came along when AU was just starting to use WRs to actually catch the ball instead of just blocking. Their first season saw them split out with one hand on the ground.

Ace used to run neck and neck with Bo Jackson in the sprints. He was that fast. He developed into one of AU's best players with the ball in his hands.

Those highlights came as Pat Sullivan was brought in to move away from the wishbone.

I always look forward to reading your takes  Your insight and experience are unmatched here.

Freddy Weygand is my favorite receiver along with Terry. i loved to watch him play. he went to my old high school and was raised about five miles from where i was lived. i was older so i never got to meet him.

• Like 1

Wow, what memories! Lawyer was one of my favorites and so glad he didn't get that time out in the Iron Bowl. Cool composure knowing he wasn't supposed to run that play but he did it to perfection. Also I have to shout out the most underrated QB in my memory, Jeff Burger. Loved watching him play. He'd kick your butt on the field or off of it, it wouldn't have mattered to him. I remember him having to not start a game as punishment for the illegal hunting trip. Dye sent him in on second down instead. Probably not popular to many outside of Auburn but Dye didn't care. Later that year we shut out Bama 10-0 and when I came to work on Monday there was a huge banner hanging that said "War Eagle! 10-0, Burger went hunting!" 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I always look forward to reading your takes  Your insight and experience are unmatched here.

I appreciate that. I am just an old guy now. But I do have a lot of good memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

The 80’s Decade of Auburn Football was simply the best in my lifetime thus far.  I suppose being a victim of the 70’s has as much to do with it as anything.

Thanks, Stat!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Freddy Weygand is my favorite receiver along with Terry. i loved to watch him play. he went to my old high school and was raised about five miles from where i was lived. i was older so i never got to meet him.

That Emma Sansom team he played on was the best high school team I’ve ever seen. The beat my high school my junior year and that’s the best team Gardendale ever had.

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac
  • Like 1

I played against Weygand in high school. (Not very well I might add) He was deceptively fast. Much faster on the field than he looked on film. 

• Like 1

Tillman's TD catch against GT in 1986 was one of the best I'd seen to that point.

He had a much more important TD catch against the Jackets the next season...back of the end zone to pull that game out of the grease, and Jim Fyffe going nuts yelling "Tillman! Tillman! Tillman!" 

DC27168F-487C-4EB6-ACD4-ECA1840EBB2A.thumb.jpeg.24aa4b03b6b5c1f1015a1419b14ee59c.jpeg
Only jersey that I have is Lawyer’s. Bought it in the old Russell retail store in Alexander City, back in 1986.