Hunter 

Thorn

Riley

Riley, McPherson, and Puckett or Pritchett

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Hunter 

Thorn

Riley

Highly doubt Hunter will be in front of the media right now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Me either. Just trying to bring this summer dullness to life with a little tongue in cheek pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If it wasn’t for the video fiasco he would have been my number one pick though for sure.

• Like 1

I am a big fan of rewarding SRs who have been with the program for a good while.  So I wouldn’t pick a recent transfer or a younger star player.  So my picks are….  (with the qualifier that I don’t really know who the team leaders are at this point.  That obviously changes everything)

Puckett/Pritchett

Fromm/Deal

Chapman OR Steiner

• Like 5

I think Freeze should bring some team veterans even if there are no superstars in the group. Let the other teams grab the limelight while Auburn stays low key, and gets off to a good start to the begining of the season.

• Like 2

3 seniors to represent Auburn at SEC Media Days

The Tigers will take the stage Tuesday in Nashville

Nathan King26 mins

Hugh Freeze will be accompanied by a trio of seniors next week in Nashville.

Tight end Luke Deal, offensive guard Kam Stutts and defensive end Elijah McAllisterare Auburn's representatives for next week's SEC Media Days, the conference announced Monday morning.

The lone newcomer on the list for Auburn, McAllister already began taking up a leadership role this past spring with the Tigers after transferring over from Vanderbilt. The fifth-year senior had 16 tackles and a forced fumble last season.

Stutts started 11 games last season across both guard spots. The Peach State native was not a regular on Auburn's first-team offense in the spring, though.

One of two fifth-year seniors in a veteran tight end room, Deal had three catches for 34 yards last season.

Auburn's SEC Media Days representatives last year were edge rusher Derick Hall, running back Tank Bigsby and tight end John Samuel Shenker.

For the first time in several years, Auburn will not go on the final day of media days, as the Tigers will take the stage Tuesday in Nashville. The event gets under way next Monday morning.

2023 SEC MEDIA DAYS SCHEDULE

Monday, July 17

LSU

Missouri

Texas A&M 

Tuesday, July 18

Auburn 

Georgia

Mississippi State 

Vanderbilt

July 19

Alabama

Arkansas 

Florida

Kentucky

July 20

Ole Miss

South Carolina 

Tennessee

• Like 1

• toddc changed the title to SEC Media Days: 3 Seniors to Represent AU

So taking 3 guys who probably aren't starters.  Interesting.  I guess Luke is the "starter" blocking TE.  Good to reward some 5th year guys.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, toddc said:

3 seniors to represent Auburn at SEC Media Days

The Tigers will take the stage Tuesday in Nashville

Nathan King26 mins

Hugh Freeze will be accompanied by a trio of seniors next week in Nashville.

Tight end Luke Deal, offensive guard Kam Stutts and defensive end Elijah McAllisterare Auburn's representatives for next week's SEC Media Days, the conference announced Monday morning.

The lone newcomer on the list for Auburn, McAllister already began taking up a leadership role this past spring with the Tigers after transferring over from Vanderbilt. The fifth-year senior had 16 tackles and a forced fumble last season.

Stutts started 11 games last season across both guard spots. The Peach State native was not a regular on Auburn's first-team offense in the spring, though.

One of two fifth-year seniors in a veteran tight end room, Deal had three catches for 34 yards last season.

Auburn's SEC Media Days representatives last year were edge rusher Derick Hall, running back Tank Bigsby and tight end John Samuel Shenker.

For the first time in several years, Auburn will not go on the final day of media days, as the Tigers will take the stage Tuesday in Nashville. The event gets under way next Monday morning.

2023 SEC MEDIA DAYS SCHEDULE

Monday, July 17

LSU

Missouri

Texas A&M 

Tuesday, July 18

Auburn 

Georgia

Mississippi State 

Vanderbilt

July 19

Alabama

Arkansas 

Florida

Kentucky

July 20

Ole Miss

South Carolina 

Tennessee

I like it. We need great representation here. 

• Like 1

I love talkin' season! I'm sure CHF will get the usual questions, but I am excited to hear Jimbo get peppered with questions about Petrino. Will also be interesting to hear how CKS responds about UGA's personal disappointing off season.

No clue who Alexander is.  Maybe he’s a vocal leader?  Maybe he’s a guy we should be talking about?

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:29 AM, W.E.D said:

So taking 3 guys who probably aren't starters.  Interesting.  I guess Luke is the "starter" blocking TE.  Good to reward some 5th year guys.

It kinda speaks to the actual state of the program that 3 nonstarters, none superstar’s are representing AU at media days.  

23 hours ago, Win4AU said:

No clue who Alexander is.  Maybe he’s a vocal leader?  Maybe he’s a guy we should be talking about?

I don’t feel so bad now, I didn’t know who he was either.  

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

It kinda speaks to the actual state of the program that 3 nonstarters, none superstar’s are representing AU at media days.  

Maybe they’re the ones leading the locker room. You don’t have to be a superstar to represent your team.

• Like 3

• Like 1

5 questions for Hugh Freeze at SEC Media Days

Freeze and the Tigers' three player representatives take the stage Tuesday afternoon in Nashville

Nathan King13 hrs

For the first time since 2017, Hugh Freezewill take the stage at SEC Media Days. 

On Tuesday in Nashville, Freeze will return to the epicenter of “talking season," as he’ll face an army of media members eager to hear about his return to the conference following his stint at Ole Miss. Things are much different in the league six years later, of course, but there’s no denying Freeze’s new Auburn team had a successful offseason of roster management and recruiting, as he looks to rebuild the program over the next couple years following the failed Bryan Harsin regime.

As wild as SEC Media Days can be, they signal that the college football season is on the horizon, and provide the final opportunity for coaches to tout their team’s improvements before preseason practices are kicked off. On that note, here are five subjects Freeze is likely to address in Nashville — both about himself and his 2023 Tigers.

1. A welcome back to the big leagues

Freeze’s last trip to media days featured plenty of drama. The day before he and Ole Miss spoke, former Rebels coach Houston Nutt sued the program, and Freeze stepped down seven days later amid the university’s investigation into his personal misconduct.

It's obviously expected to be smoother sailing this time around for Freeze, who has addressed his transgressions with the Rebels on several occasions since taking the Auburn job. But this week provides a platform for inquiries from reporters and media outside the Auburn market, and there’s no doubt those opportunities will be taken.

“I have spent the last six years trying to earn the respect and trust of my family, teams, administrations — everyone that was around me,” Freeze said in his introductory press conference. “That’s the lesson that I have probably learned is just keep working to earn people’s trust and when they get to know you, a lot of that comes when they get to know you if they give you that chance to earn that trust.”

Whether Freeze repeats himself from the past several months or will alter some of his responses now that he’s been on the job and is about to start the season, he’ll ultimately be looking to put the Ole Miss scandal behind him once and for all. It won’t be surprising if he takes a proactive approach and addresses it in his opening remarks.

(Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

There are a few familiar faces scattered, but for the most part, it’s a wildly different SEC landscape than the one Freeze exited in 2017. As a rare returnee to the league and now two-time SEC head coach, that should be an intriguing subject for him to be questioned on, as well.

But most importantly, Freeze has an opportunity to pitch the Auburn program’s future, and why the Tigers are being steered back onto the right path under his guidance, regardless of what the SEC — which is holding its final media days before expanding to 16 teams next year — looks like moving forward. 

2. Any clarity on bizarre suspension situation?

In mid-May, Auburn University issued a statement to reporters that said at least one member of the program had been suspended for violation of team rules.

"We are aware of the situation and take this matter very seriously," the statement read. "The appropriate offices are conducting a thorough review. Indefinite suspensions have been issued for violation of applicable Auburn Athletics department policy. No further comment will be provided at this time."

The nature of “the situation” was not elaborated upon, however, and comment was made or has been made by Auburn's football program, as the statement came from the university. When asked by Auburn Undercover whether "indefinite suspensions" means multiple student-athletes are currently suspended from team activities, the university did not provide a response. And Freeze offered no update later in the month at SEC spring meetings.

Starting running back Jarquez Hunter was the target of social media allegations in May from a now-suspended Twitter account, which posted explicit videos and claimed they were recorded and shared without consent of at least one of the participants. Hunter was not and has not been named in any statement, however, and the university later sent a follow-up email to Auburn Undercover, saying, "There is no 'Jarquez Hunter statement'," and that the initial message was "the official Auburn University statement regarding this issue."

If the murky situation is still being handled by the university, Freeze’s hands may be tied in terms of how much he can comment or clarify. But fans are anxious for resolution on not only Hunter’s status, but other players possibly affected, as well. 

3. Setting the table for QB competition

The competition between incumbent starting QB Robby Ashford, Payton Thorne and possibly redshirt freshman Holden Gerineris now just a few weeks away from commencing in fall camp.

Auburn hasn’t had a quarterback win the starting job after being absent for spring practices since Nick Marshall in 2013, but the combination of Thorne’s immense advantage in experience, plus Freeze’s track record with transfer QBs, makes for a strong argument for the Michigan State transfer.

Freeze’s starting quarterbacks for all five of his seasons at Ole Miss were transfers — first Bo Wallace, a JUCO prospect, for three years, then Clemson transfer Chad Kelly. The two averaged 3,266 passing yards per season, with 112 combined touchdown passes to 62 interceptions across five seasons. Auburn transfer Malik Willis then led Freeze’s offense at Liberty from 2020-21, accounting for 47 touchdowns through the air and 27 more on the ground.

“I think I have a pretty good feel of how to get a kid ready and what he can do, and then kind of playing to those strengths,” Freeze said earlier this offseason. “We've had success with that. And now you're getting one that's probably more proven than any I've had before.”

Thorne comes to Auburn as a late portal entry in the second transfer window, with 49 career touchdown passes and 26 starts to his name on the Power Five level. Those figures obviously dwarf Ashford’s experience level, and most are projecting Thorne to be the leader of the Tigers’ passing game.

But the same was also said last offseason about the now-departed Zach Calzada, who transferred in from Texas A&M. Although he didn’t hold onto it, not many predicted T.J. Finley to win the job in fall camp.

Thorne appears to have more factors working in his favor, but Ashford showed tons of promise last season as a dynamic, dual-threat player, and his supporting cast at receiver and on the offensive line were subpar, to say the least. Throw in the fact that Ashford played through several injuries by the end of the season and was present in spring practice to get an early jump on the new offensive scheme, and it would be foolish to assume Thorne has the gig locked up. 

Whether Freeze would be comfortable playing both quarterbacks early in the season is a worthwhile question, and in what ways he likes to evaluate the progress of QB competitions from practice to practice. 

4. How much progress has been made on new schemes?

Freeze was honest even before the spring about the difficulties presented by implementing new systems on both sides of the ball — especially on offense, where Freeze started from the very bottom with coordinator Philip Montgomery, starting with learning shared terminology and naming schemes before ever thinking of installing said plays.

As is usually the case, especially with new staffs, Auburn’s defense was a consistent winner early and often in the spring. But over the final couple weeks of practice, more and more sessions turned in favor of the offense. A good portion of the credit for those performances was handed to the offensive line, which features three transfers who all settled into first-team roles. That unit helped improve a ground game that rushed for 147 yards on only 22 carries in only three quarters in the spring game.

Then the summer gave Freeze, Montgomery, defensive coordinator Ron Roberts and the rest of the staff time to tinker away at their systems, and analyze what did and didn’t work in the spring.

Auburn has 19 incoming transfers who represent a significant insertion of experience, but they’ll be put in much better positions to succeed as the coaching staff continues to get on the same page on both sides of the ball. Doing so will also allow Auburn to more efficiently identify its top playmakers that need to step up in 2023.

5. Have expectations shifted at all?

Freeze has taken a realist’s approach to many aspects of the Auburn job over the past eight months, and he’s always been measured in terms of how he’s assessed position groups or general expectations about the team.

But that was, for the most part, early after being hired, when the roster situation was still in need of major patchwork, or back in the spring, when the Tigers and their new coaches were still getting their feet under them in a multitude of areas.

Now that Auburn has shored up several important spots, namely quarterback, and the coaches have had more time to develop chemistry and a blueprint for the 2023 campaign, will Freeze be bolder with his evaluations?

Of course, Freeze has stated the obvious that Auburn’s expectation is to be back within SEC contention and in the race for the College Football Playoff. That stems from recruiting, and he’s well aware, saying in the spring that “if we’re not in that top-10 (recruiting) range, they’ll probably be firing me in Year 4 or Year 5.”

Media days are a prime spot for more general questions about the future of a program, especially when it comes to first-year head coaches. 

“I think it's too early to tell how much we've closed the gap on the ones that we have to close the gap on,” Freeze said this offseason, making one of several references to the current talent gap between Auburn and SEC elites like Alabama and Georgia.” The one thing I know is that I feel confident in saying that we've improved our roster. 

“How much? I don't think we'll know until we play some games.”

Freeze will take the main stage in Nashville at 1 p.m. CST, broadcast on SEC Network.

• Thanks 1

Tune into today for CHF and his Auburn SEC Media Day debut!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to SEC Media Days: AU Updates

Auburn WR signee likely headed to JUCO

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze did not express optimism about Daquayvious Sorey's chances of making it to campus.

Christian Clemente20 mins

NASHVILLE, Tennessee — After not enrolling over the summer with his 2023 classmates, wide receiver Daquayvious Sorey appears set to take the JUCO route. While head coach Hugh Freeze told local reporters he felt confident that JUCO defensive lineman Quientrail Jamison-Travis arriving ahead of fall camp, he did not express the same optimism about Sorey's chances.

"Not quite as much (Confidence) about Sorey," Freeze said.

Auburn Undercover had previously reported that Sorey was not expected to enroll, with sources close to him noting that while he did walk at graduation, he had not actually graduated and had inadequate test scores. Sorey recently updated his Instagram bio, putting #JUCOPRODUCT in.

Originally a Georgia commitment very early on in his recruiting process, the younger cousin of Georgia linebacker Xavian Sorey eventually backed off that pledge and opened things up. Over the course of the spring and last summer, Sorey narrowed it down to Auburn, Alabama, Florida and Miami, committing to Ike Hilliard and Auburn on Aug. 26.

When Bryan Harsin was fired and Hilliard was not retained after taking over as co-offensive coordinator, Sorey stuck with his commitment and signed with the program in December on early Signing Day.

"And then Sorey, what a big-time — I think has a chance to be a big-time receiver," Freeze said in December when Sorey signed with the program. "Long, and athletic. And hopefully get in our system and develop."

With Sorey not making it to campus, Auburn signed four different receivers out of the transfer portal this cycle adding Nick Mardner, Shane Hooks, Jyaire Shorter and Caleb Burton. All three of Mardner, Hooks and Shorter are one-year graduate transfers, while Burton arrives with all four years of eligibility.

Could Auburn look to re-recruit Sorey down the road?

"We’re going to revisit every year in recruiting whoever the best players are in the country," Freeze said. "We’re going to try to go after them and if he’s one of them, sure."

Auburn has considered giving freshman athlete JC Hart a look at receiver before slotting him at defensive back, but Sorey was the only true wide receiver that Auburn signed in the 2023 class.

Sorey was ranked in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 471 player, No. 63 wide receiver and No. 85 player from Florida. 247Sports ranked Sorey higher as the No. 33 wide receiver and No. 46 player from The Sunshine State.

Let the quarterback battle begin at Auburn

Auburn's Hugh Freeze talks about the competition between Robby Ashford, Holden Geriner and newcomer Payton Thorne for the starting quarterback spot for the Tigers.

Jason Caldwell22 mins

NASHVILLE, Tennessee—Heading into his first season as the head coach of the Auburn Tigers, Hugh Freeze knows there will be lots of eyes on the quarterback battle in preseason camp with Robby Ashfordreturning as a starter, redshirt freshman Holden Geriner back, and the addition of Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne.

With a whole lot that goes into making that decision heading into the 2023 season, Freeze said he’s got some specific things in mind that will go into naming a starter. The first is narrowing things down to a workable number in practice and going from there.

“I told Kent (Austin) and Philip (Montgomery) that they need to present to me a plan by next week,” Freeze said. “Hank Brown, I love, he can make every throw but realistically you can’t get four kids reps in camp. Probably going to be those other three the first 10 days trying to get enough reps to where we can get it down to at least two guys and go from there.”

A 6-3, 218 redshirt sophomore, Ashford is back after getting the first playing time of his career in his third season of college football. Completing 49 percent of his passes for 1,613 yards and seven touchdowns with seven interceptions while rushing for 710 yards and seven scores, Ashford showed signs of being a dynamic playmaker but the consistency has to continue to improve.

“We’ve challenged Robby since I have been here to elevate what comes with being the quarterback at Auburn,” Freeze said. “I think he’s responded, mostly positive with that. We haven’t been in the fires yet. We haven’t been in the competition yet to see how he’s going to respond.

“It’s not just Robby, it’s everyone. How do they handle it? This is life. On great teams you’re never going to be the only guy that should be competing. Hopefully he handles it well because I do think Robby Ashfordhelps us win football games.”

Robby Ashford is ready to compete this preseason. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburnundercover, 247Sports)

Wearing No. 1, the 6-2, 203 Thorne has integrated himself well since arriving at Auburn in June. A three-year starter for the Spartans, Thorne completed 60.9 percent of his passes for 6,494 yards and 49 touchdowns for Michigan State. He brings that experience to the Plains, something that Freeze said he’s excited to bring to his room this season.

More than that, Freeze said he’s seen a guy that has come in wanting to do the right things, both on and off the field.

“I can’t watch them throw, but what I have been impressed with is his attention to detail, his desire to learn the system, to be a leader and have position group meetings,” Freeze said. “He has those leadership qualities. One of the first questions he asked me was could I get someone to get him a picture of everyone that works in the building and their name because he wants to know their name.

“He’s got some intrinsic things about him that you really like that I know is going to enhance that room,” he added. “I haven’t coached him a single practice yet. It would be unfair for me to even act like I knew where everybody stood. I absolutely love what I have seen from him in the leadership world.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1