What might have been in 2017 if Pettway had been able to keep his head out of his own ass

TitanTiger

Was rewatching some 2016 games like the MSU and Arkansas games where Pettway was carrying the load and just bruising defenses.  If I'm remembering right, Kerryon got hurt early vs MSU and Pettway came in and toted it like 39 times for a ton of yards, then did similar damage to Arkansas a week or two later in a 56-3 beatdown.  

Imagine what the SECCG and a possible playoff berth looks like if Pettway instead of sulking, loafing, cutting class, weed (?) and whatever else he did to get in the doghouse, had stayed hungry and been ready when KJ when down?  Frankly I think we beat UGA again and make the playoff and who knows what happens from there?

Sucks that we'll never know since KJ went down, Pettway wasn't an option and we had tomato cans at RB after them and thus zero run game.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Was rewatching some 2016 games like the MSU and Arkansas games where Pettway was carrying the load and just bruising defenses.  If I'm remembering right, Kerryon got hurt early vs MSU and Pettway came in and toted it like 39 times for a ton of yards, then did similar damage to Arkansas a week or two later in a 56-3 beatdown.  

Imagine what the SECCG and a possible playoff berth looks like if Pettway instead of sulking, loafing, cutting class, weed (?) and whatever else he did to get in the doghouse, had stayed hungry and been ready when KJ when down?  Frankly I think we beat UGA again and make the playoff and who knows what happens from there?

Sucks that we'll never know since KJ went down, Pettway wasn't an option and we had tomato cans at RB after them and thus zero run game.

Pettway had a 4 game streak that rivaled any AU RB.

• Like 2

Having Pettway on offense and figuring out how to cut off those sweeps where UGA did a good job of sealing them off (they learned a few weeks earlier they could not get between the tackles) would be more than enough to get that one. 

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I have eluded to this in more than one post over the years. I would have jumped out of my chair to see Pettway come into the game after halftime. No doubt in my mind we would have beat uga. I’m still not sure how the moral high ground helped us there. 

27 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

I have eluded to this in more than one post over the years. I would have jumped out of my chair to see Pettway come into the game after halftime. No doubt in my mind we would have beat uga. I’m still not sure how the moral high ground helped us there. 

Moral high ground or team discipline?

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

Nah, the Pettway situation wasn't on Gus and you can't make that choice without terrible repercussions for team discipline going forward.  It was on Kam being an immature, selfish dick.

Now what was on Gus was bad evals and such that led us to a thin RB room.  Pettway's life choices just made it worst case scenario.

• Like 1

Had KP kept his nose clean, we would’ve won it all in 2017. We would’ve had a working run game in the SECCG regardless of KJ’s status. If he was hurt, KP could’ve carried the load. But it’s even doubtful he gets hurt. We wouldn’t have needed to rely on him as much. And there’s a better chance he stays healthy, which means we would’ve had them both against UGA. 

Date Opponent Rushing Receiving
ATT YDS TD Long REC YDS TD Long
  Totals 76 305 6 38 3 32 0 16
9/9/2017 at Clemson 22 74 0 15 0 0 0 0
9/16/2017 Mercer 34 128 3 22 3 32 0 16
9/30/2017 Mississippi State 5 6 0 2 0 0 0 0
10/14/2017 at LSU 4 7 0 5 0 0 0 0
10/21/2017 at Arkansas 11 90 3 38 0 0 0 0

2016 Auburn Tigers Kamryn Pettway #36 All Purpose Game Log through 01/09/2017

Date Opponent Surface Result Rush Recv. Punt Ret. Kick Ret. Int. Ret. Plays Total Yards Yards/Play Yards/G
09/03/16 3 Clemson Grass L 13-19 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0.0
09/10/16 Arkansas St. Grass W 51-14 152 5 0 0 0 16 157 9.8 157.0
09/17/16 Texas A&M Grass L 16-29 123 0 0 0 0 20 123 6.2 123.0
09/24/16 19 LSU Grass W 18-13 61 0 0 0 0 17 61 3.6 61.0
10/01/16 La.-Monroe Grass W 58-7 Did not play
10/08/16 @ Mississippi St. Grass W 38-14 169 9 0 0 0 40 178 4.5 178.0
10/22/16 Arkansas Grass W 56-3 192 0 0 0 0 27 192 7.1 192.0
10/29/16 @ Mississippi Grass W 40-29 236 0 0 0 0 30 236 7.9 236.0
11/05/16 Vanderbilt Grass W 23-16 173 0 0 0 0 25 173 6.9 173.0
11/12/16 @ Georgia Grass L 7-13 Did not play
11/19/16 Alabama A&M Grass W 55-0 Did not play
11/26/16 @ 1 Alabama Grass L 12-30 17 0 0 0 0 12 17 1.4 17.0
01/02/17 + 7 Oklahoma Turf L 19-35 101 0 0 0 0 24 101 4.2 101.0
  Totals 1224 14 0 0 0 211 1238 5.9 123.8

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

If we’re talking about 2016 he pulled up with a hurt hammy on a long run against Vandy.  Sean was hurt and Auburn had zero healthy running backs heading into Georgia.  

I agree if that same player shows up in 2017 but he was a shell of his 2016 self.  I remember the Clemson game that year and him getting stuffed over and over.  Kam Martin was a good backup/change of pace back but didn’t have it to be a starter in the SEC.

Really could have gone back to back SECCG with healthy RBs and Sean White’s arm doesn’t fall off.

Pettway was one of my all time favs. I was devastated when he fell apart. I love bruiser style running backs. 

22 hours ago, CCTAU said:

I would have jumped out of my chair to see Pettway come into the game after halftime. No doubt in my mind we would have beat uga.

18 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Had KP kept his nose clean, we would’ve won it all in 2017. We would’ve had a working run game in the SECCG regardless of KJ’s status.

Completely disagree with these takes. Pettway feasted on below-average run defenses, gashing them up the middle.

If the middle was stuffed, so was Pettway. 

As stated above, Pettway was stuffed by Clemson, just 74 yards, 3.3 YPC.

Clemson averaged giving up 114.9 YPG.

Georgia averaged giving up 126 YPG.

The only way we had a shot at beating Georgia on essentially their home field was with a healthy Kerryon. It wasn’t going to be with Pettway, even at his very best.

Maybe if Gus spent more time game planning for the SEC Championship game instead of game planning for his contract extension AU has a solid chance of winning. Gus had plenty of time after the title game to get his contract worked out. I knew after that entire debacle Gus was on borrowered time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadow Tiger said:

Maybe if Gus spent more time game planning for the SEC Championship game instead of game planning for his contract extension AU has a solid chance of winning. Gus had plenty of time after the title game to get his contract worked out. I knew after that entire debacle Gus was on borrowered time.

Timing was everything though.  There was master level maneuvering by Jimmy Sexton as the Arkansas team tanked, Sexton HAD to puff up the "Malzhan to Arkansas" headlines to lofty heights so that Gus could then bend the AU Administration a barrel and scare the $#!t out of AD Leath.  They had to get that contract extension cleared and inked by the BOT.  

It simply had to transpire while Gus had Auburn winning big, otherwise the whole thing stood the chance of fizzling out after the SECCG.  Sexton/Malzhan's timing was absolutely perfect, and the 7 yr guaranteed contract was brilliant.  Leath/AU could sell the fanbase and likely the BOT that Gus had to have job security to justify the guaranteed contract, that Gus needed to be able to operate uninhibited by the annual 'Gus is on the hot seat' diatribe that fans regurgitated every year.  Sexton is the best of the best.  

• Like 1

If I'm Leath I'm not buying what Jimmy is selling. Gus is gonna leave AU one game away from cashing in on the playoffs for Arkansas? Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't see how Gus had the capital to do that after the 2014 to 2016 seasons. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shadow Tiger said:

If I'm Leath I'm not buying what Jimmy is selling. Gus is gonna leave AU one game away from cashing in on the playoffs for Arkansas? Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't see how Gus had the capital to do that after the 2014 to 2016 seasons. 

Everyone that mattered apparently got caught up in the euphoria of pounding Georgia into submission and beating Bama by the largest margin of victory since 1969. Gus was in the right place at the right time for the extension, as crazy as the extension was. Winning those two games like we did was very un-Auburn like in his tenure and Auburn had paid a heavy price in more ways that one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

Completely disagree with these takes. Pettway feasted on below-average run defenses, gashing them up the middle.

The only way we had a shot at beating Georgia on essentially their home field was with a healthy Kerryon. It wasn’t going to be with Pettway, even at his very best.

KP was finally healthy by the end of the season. After KJ had tried his best to bruise up uga, KP would have been just the fresh legs needed. Agreed, with a healthy KJ, we win.  Had KP taken some of the load off of KJ, we easily win (maybe Gus doesn't ride KJ into the ground). KP was gone after the season either way, we should have used him.

Its not like we haven't played players at AU in the past that had not been flying straight. Another trip to a championship would have quelled any issues that might have arisen.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Everyone that mattered apparently got caught up in the euphoria of pounding Georgia into submission and beating Bama by the largest margin of victory since 1969. Gus was in the right place at the right time for the extension, as crazy as the extension was. Winning those two games like we did was very un-Auburn like in his tenure and Auburn had paid a heavy price in more ways that one. 

I agree with everyone being caught up in the moment. It was just hard for me to believe Gus was going to stay consistent over the long haul. 

6 hours ago, gr82be said:

Sexton did a fine job of sensationalizing that Arkansas was a serious consideration for Gus, which it wasn’t.  Gus wasn’t stupid, he knew AU was the best job he’d ever have in his career and he leveraged it for a massive payout.  

Gus hated the constant chitchat about him on the hot seat and he claimed it put a huge damper on his ability to recruit the players he needed.  He effectively secured his job at Auburn and thought hig priced guaranteed buyout would shut up the fans and critics for good.

As it ended up, 1 season removed from signing the extension and the rumor mill cranked right back up in 2018.  Wasn’t it Jay Tate and Josh Moon that were providing the play-byplay directly from the halls of the AD as allegedly Herbert and Gus were behind closed doors “reducing” Gus’ buyout?   Lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

As it ended up, 1 season removed from signing the extension and the rumor mill cranked right back up in 2018.  Wasn’t it Jay Tate and Josh Moon that were providing the play-byplay directly from the halls of the AD as allegedly Herbert and Gus were behind closed doors “reducing” Gus’ buyout?   Lol

That sounds right. 

11 hours ago, Viper said:

If Pettway is available, we would have had a healthy Kerryon. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CCTAU said:

KP was finally healthy by the end of the season. After KJ had tried his best to bruise up uga, KP would have been just the fresh legs needed. Agreed, with a healthy KJ, we win.  Had KP taken some of the load off of KJ, we easily win (maybe Gus doesn't ride KJ into the ground). KP was gone after the season either way, we should have used him.

Its not like we haven't played players at AU in the past that had not been flying straight. Another trip to a championship would have quelled any issues that might have arisen.

You’re still not coping with the fact that Pettway was a 1-trick pony who Clemson ate up and spit out. 3.3 YPC. 0 TDs. Georgia would have done the exact same. He was not Kerryon Johnson nor anywhere in the same galaxy.

And no, wasn’t guaranteed we beat Georgia again with a healthy Kerryon. Gus shot his wad the first matchup. Kirbs had his defense ready the 2nd time and shut Gus down. Most of the passing plays (the bubble to Ryan Davis for example) that were successful the 1st outing were not the 2nd time. Plus the 2nd outing wasn’t in JH. They were the team with a 70% fan advantage the 2nd time and it showed on both sides of the ball.