brodie in the past scrimmage

Erik81

The poor offensive output left both Croyle and his offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach scratching their heads and wondering what happened.

"That was not what we wanted to have happen today," said Dave Rader. "It's our worst day of the entire fall camp. It just ticks you

off. Penalties and turnovers lost any type of continuity we might have had.

"If one of the people were here today from Middle Tennessee or Southern (Miss), I'd be pretty pumped up to play us."

"We felt confident going into it this morning," Croyle said of the Tide offense. "Then, to have this happen, we're kind of confused as to what's going on, but we're not going to make that big a deal about it. It's a scrimmage. Things happen. It's a bad practice. What do you do about it? You just come back the next day and get back to the drawing board.

"It all starts at the top, and I'll take the blame for what happened out there today."

For the day, Croyle hit on 16-of-34 throws for 137 yards. In addition to the Prothro scoring strike, freshman cornerback Lionel Mitchell picked off a Croyle aerial and would have gone 48 yards to paydirt had the play not been blown dead.

B'ham News:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...0100.xml&coll=2

Defense owns Tide scrimmage

Sunday, August 21, 2005

STEVE KIRK

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - Dave Rader took a swig from a bottled sports drink, tugged at the bill of his red Alabama cap and shook his head following Saturday's two-hour scrimmage at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

"If I'm one of the people here today from Middle Tennessee or Southern Miss, I'm pretty pumped up to play us," said Rader, the Crimson Tide's offensive coordinator, referring to the season's first two opponents.

The Tide's defense, which ranked No. 2 in the NCAA last season, dominated most of Saturday afternoon's second scrimmage of the preseason in front of approximately 5,000 fans.

A combination of second- and third-team defenders held No. 1 quarterback Brodie Croyle to 16-of-34 passing for only 137 yards, and even scored a touchdown when freshman signee Lionel Mitchell intercepted a Croyle pass and returned it 47 yards.

"It was our worst day of the entire fall camp," Rader said.

The first-team offense scored only one touchdown in 11 possessions, but that came late in the day when coaches let it start from the defense's 15-yard-line and Croyle hit Tyrone Prothro on a 16-yard sideline route.

Saturday's lowlights:

Fullback Tim Castille dropped a wide open pass across the middle.

Two holding penalties on the offensive line negated positive gains, including what would have been Croyle's longest pass of the day, down the sideline to Keith Brown.

The quarterbacks failed to make anything happen. Besides Croyle's struggles, backup John Parker Wilson was 6-of-14 for 26 yards and one interception, while Marc Guillon was 5-of-9 for 25 yards.

"There are still some mistakes overall at the quarterback position, even with Brodie, that we can't have," Alabama head coach Mike Shula said. "He threw the one interception, and there were a couple of (bad throws) down in plus-territory where he can't afford to force the ball.

"This will be a good little wake-up call for (Croyle) and for all of us."

Perhaps the lone bright spot for the offense was a 33-yard run by junior tailback Kenneth Darby and 40-yard days for freshmen Roy Upchurch (on six carries) and Glen Coffee (on nine carries). Upchurch also had a 26-yard touchdown run for the third-team offense against the third-team defense.

This day, featuring 109 plays from scrimmage, will be remembered for offensive ineptitude, however. And that's something Croyle said he never saw coming.

"I'd throw a bad ball, we'd have a drop, we'd have a holding penalty," Croyle said. "It seemed like every time we were fixing to get something going, we'd have a setback."

Certainly not a good omen for their (cough) "national championship" run. On the other hand, any team can have one bad scrimmage, even :au: . Champions, however, better not have one bad day in a real game.

One thing I haven't thought about until now is the penalty effect of a young, inexperienced line. I had been thinking mostly about them having trouble protecting Brodie or opening holes for the run. But inexperience means more penalties, and penalties--holding, illegal blocks, off-sides or motion--have killed more drives than QB sacks have.

"The first-team offense scored only one touchdown in 11 possessions, but that came late in the day when coaches let it start from the defense's 15-yard-line and Croyle hit Tyrone Prothro on a 16-yard sideline route. "

Only one touchdown on ELEVEN possesions!?!? And even on the lone touchdown, they let them start 15 yards till the goal line. Im thinkin maybe the O-line might have something to do with this?

If Brodie doesnt have adequate protection, he will rush passes, the runners wont run, and plays will be broken up.

Well it was just a scrimmage and it doesn't really matter if you complete all of your passess or don't completete even one. What counts is the atual season games, and something tells me Brodie is gonna get hurt again this season. Brodie can't stay healthy for a full season and the Tide will finish 7-5 and say if Bride had stayed healthy, if, if, if, if. That's all the Tide has been for the past 2-3 years now.

Just wondering... What are the Alabama fans going to talk about when Brodie graduates? Who are they gonna say "if only he was healthy?" The backfield thats always in urgent care? Just a wonderin'.

If brodie was healthy???? haha. Lets look at when brodie has been healthy instead. Brodie Croyle is 7-9 as a starting quarterback with no wins that are considered quality wins. He is a 54% career passer which isn't to impressive considering the way he is thought to be a savior in Tuscaloosa. Croyle is a pretty boy loser end of story. If he is healthy, they will still lose. Croyle has been healthy in many 4th quarter big game situations and has failed to be the leader that his team has needed to win the game. Remember 2003??? Croyle went to overtime games and stayed in games until the 4th quarter against teams such as Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Arkansas, but lost ALL of them.

you know I was thinking that in a way I kind of feel sorry for Brodie-he was very highly tauted out high school but he "had to stay home at Alabama"-bottom line is that he doesn't have the kind of coaching that we are so fortunate to have-I don't think there is a coach at bama that can develop a QB. Brodie would be a really good QB in Borges' system and the talent around he would have around him. I know he has been hurt but that is because his line can't protect him and a coaching staff that doesn't know how to condition players to be tough enough to play in this league.

he said himself that he wishes Alabama was Auburn :big:

but I wouldn't trade Cox for Brodie :thumbsup:

he said himself that he wishes Alabama was Auburn :big:

175360[/snapback]

I think he mostly meant he wishes Bama was 15-0, but who wouldn't wish that for their own school.

In any case,

While it is hard to judge a whole season by one bad scrimmage, I am a little surprized by the number of Bama fans I know & Bama boards I've read that are beginning to show real concern about their OL. Even some hard-core koolaid drinkers who normally follow the "never say anything bad about the Tide" school of thought are restless and worried and saying so.

When some of my hard core Bama friends who were previously talking about their travel plans to Atlanta start lowering their expectations to "Well, hopefully we have enough patsies on the schedule to still be bowl eligible", I start really believing there's trouble.

Guys dont down Brodie. He is likely a symptom of the :ua: problem, lack of quality depth. The O-line at :ua: is not looking good. Go visit some bama sites and you will hear exactly that.

I would be terrified if we looked that bad against the 2nds and 3rds. And remember, these are depleted 2nds and 3rds. :blink:

Brodie and Watts are almost like victims of the Bama Hype Machine. There is really almost no way they can live up to the fans expectations from the day they sign. Watts was supposed to win TWO HEISMANS! Brodie was never gonna lose to :au:

The problem is that all that assumes great coaching and surrounding talent. Watts never had the coaching, and Brodie never had the surrounding talent.

Dont blame the guys, blame the fans and press.

Croyle is a pretty boy loser end of story.

175350[/snapback]

Brodie may be injury prone but has heart & is anything but a loser. I'd bet he has more character than you.

"Do not revel in the misfortunes of your enemies."

:au::homer:

"Do not revel in the misfortunes of your enemies."

:au:   :homer:

175426[/snapback]

Re: Act with Class.

4) Leave the Players Alone. They are 18-22 year old kids. If they sometime act like kids, hey, thats what they do. If they have an off day, give them some grace. If you talk about a situation, I would refer to positions. Saying that the "WRs underperformed." That is very different from saying "Joe Smith sucks!"

Why is BC even being talked about here? What does it matter? Who cares? I hope he stays healthy all year. Then, when UAT still goes 4-7,what will the excuse be? <_<

Why is BC even being talked about here? What does it matter? Who cares? I hope he stays healthy all year. Then, when UAT still goes 4-7,what will the excuse be?  <_<

175469[/snapback]

I agree...I could care less what BC or any other Bama player is doing right now....it's interesting to read some of the Bama Fans comments, but I don't care how well they are or aren't performing until the end of the season....

Who is this brodie guy? :huh:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Why is BC even being talked about here? What does it matter? Who cares? I hope he stays healthy all year. Then, when UAT still goes 4-7,what will the excuse be?  <_<

175469[/snapback]

If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete.

- Sun Tzu

Why is BC even being talked about here?

175469[/snapback]

Well...I'll give it a shot:

1. Hes the star qb on our rival team

2. Its college football season, we are talking college football now

3. He wasnt so hot last scrimmage, were gonna talk about it

4. Hes been "hyped" for awhile....we will talk about that "hype" machine

5. Hes on an SEC team, we play this team

6. His progress determines how the West will be won for our team, & Lsu in my opinion...just like our progress at qb determines the same thing

Tried to make it simple 4 ya! :big:

By the way, your so positive, I love it :lol:

Why is BC even being talked about here?

175469[/snapback]

Well...I'll give it a shot:

1. Hes the star qb on our rival team

2. Its college football season, we are talking college football now

3. He wasnt so hot last scrimmage, were gonna talk about it

4. Hes been "hyped" for awhile....we will talk about that "hype" machine

5. Hes on an SEC team, we play this team

6. His progress determines how the West will be won for our team, & Lsu in my opinion...just like our progress at qb determines the same thing

Tried to make it simple 4 ya! :big:

By the way, your so positive, I love it :lol:

175537[/snapback]

Keep worrying about UAT. If that's all you have to do, you lead a boring life. No one asked you to try and makes things simple, you should keep that for your day to day activities. Worrying about when BC takes a crap each day is about as productive and does the Auburn team as much good as wearing your lucky charm to each game. (I have no idea what "snapback" means)

PS- I bet you were singing "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger" after UAT wasted us 31-7, a few years back, right? Now that's being positive!!

Why has everyone got their underpanties in a wad????

We are all exctied about the upcoming season, and if that means we discuss our biggest rival and hteir misfortunes, then we do. If you don't like it, then don't read this topic!!!

Screw all the talk and hype, im just ready to watch some ball. All this talk about Brodie this and Brodie that....blah blah blah.....doesnt mean anything until game day.

Archived