NIL Discussion

NWALA Tiger

What a world we live in . Cheating is now glorified.  I can remember a time when 180k was supposedly offered. We had everyone from Pat Forde to Mark Slaubaugh to the NCAA snooping around AU.

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

“It’s only cheating when the other schools do it.”

After a decade of watching others build and prop up dynasties through the same ways, it's about damn time we started playing by the same rules.  

Many that complain about NIL are the same that were complaining that we weren't keeping up with the Bama and UGA's.  I'm glad we have a coach that understands the new landscape of the college game

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

My point is NIL is being abused. It wasn't ever meant to be used as an enticement to get high school recruits. I'm all for someone benefitting off NIL AFTER they have done something to earn it.  Now,  the REC and others under the table $ etc is a different matter. That's gone on for years including at AU. I'm strictly talking about the abuse of NIL. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

After a decade of watching others build and prop up dynasties through the same ways, it's about damn time we started playing by the same rules.  

Many that complain about NIL are the same that were complaining that we weren't keeping up with the Bama and UGA's.  I'm glad we have a coach that understands the new landscape of the college game

Finally you post something worth reading

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yep you win some and you lose some. It is what it is. Without NIL I doubt we are flipping anyone from Bama or UGA

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My point is NIL is being abused. It wasn't ever meant to be used as an enticement to get high school recruits.

Maybe not from the NCAA's POV it wasm't but anyone with simple comprehension skills knew this is where it would go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe not from the NCAA's POV it wasm't but anyone with simple comprehension skills knew this is where it would go.

Like most other things where $ is involved.  The abuse of it follows close behind. They should scrap NIL and just make student athletes employees.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

17 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My point is NIL is being abused. It wasn't ever meant to be used as an enticement to get high school recruits. I'm all for someone benefitting off NIL AFTER they have done something to earn it.  Now,  the REC and others under the table $ etc is a different matter. That's gone on for years including at AU. I'm strictly talking about the abuse of NIL. 

And auburn is a part of that too. My issue is when we are only upset when we may a lose a recruit but I never see these post when we flip someone 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

And auburn is a part of that too. My issue is when we are only upset when we may a lose a recruit but I never see these post when we flip someone 

My opinion goes for all. Perry Thompson,  Riddick ..everyone.. If they wanna payem out of high school, that's cool. Just make them university employees.  That's what it's going to come to anyway. Just don't hide it under NIL , call it what it is. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My opinion goes for all. Perry Thompson,  Riddick ..everyone.. If they wanna payem out of high school, that's cool. Just make them university employees.  That's what it's going to come to anyway. Just don't hide it under NIL , call it what it is. 

NWA, one issue I see with making athletes employees is unionization.   I believe that would end college football as we know it.   We are already painfully close to free agency -- see e.g. our transfer QB, 2 year captain up and leaves.   In all of history, man is undefeated at corrupting every thing that was once pure and good.

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

NWA, one issue I see with making athletes employees is unionization.   I believe that would end college football as we know it.   We are already painfully close to free agency -- see e.g. our transfer QB, 2 year captain up and leaves.   In all of history, man is undefeated at corrupting every thing that was once pure and good.

Yes it would. The players were on the right track trying to get unionized , normalized healthcare and get a cut of the TV money, which freaked out the ADs. Ultimately, they were placated by the NIL.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes it would. The players were on the right track trying to get unionized , normalized healthcare and get a cut of the TV money, which freaked out the ADs. Ultimately, they were placated by the NIL.

My opinion only.  NIL is only temporary.  Within the next 5 - 6 years the players will be unionized, represented by a hot shot attorney like Marvin Miller was for Major League Baseball many years ago.  They will then get a share on the BIG pie, including TV revenues as well as booster $$$.  The business of college sports, mainly football, has gotten so huge the NIL $$ players are now getting is only a drop in the bucket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

DAG, Sadly, I suspect we will likely get there in our lifetime.   As a walk-on baseball player I didn't have any scholarship money, room and board etc.   We all got about $100 for away SEC series.   We got AU sleeves, t-shirts, personalized luggage/bags, personalized jackets that all in were probably worth $350.    I still have all of that in my closet and every time I see one of them it makes me smile.    No one in their right mind would have given me much of an NIL deal.    But, man I received something so much richer.   For about 50 days out of the year, I was allowed put on something that only 34 other people on campus were allowed to wear.   That feeling was as pure and as good as any I have ever felt.   When you make a play and the crowd goes wild....   Those were some of the best of times.   Even the very best players on our team (save for BO because he had a football scholly) had only about 1/3rd of their expenses paid for.   But, no one even talked about it.   No one cared.    We were getting to do what we loved with other players we loved and for a coach that always (well almost always) made us feel special.  We were AU baseball players and that was more than we deserved and more than we needed.  Eventhough we were the third most popular sport, many on campus recognized us going to class, in class, at parties, etc.  The prettiest girls on campus would take notice and finding a date was rarely an issue (same as with the golf team😀).   So there were many unseen benefits that were not monetarily related.   As people age they often think back about the "good ole days."   I am guilty.    I wish we were still in a time where the top players came to Auburn simply because it was Auburn.   We aren't.   And, we must move on if we wish to remain relevant.   I hope we don't go so far as to totally ruin it.  

Great post 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The kicker will be when Uncle Sam wants his cut from the NIL deals. That's coming! 

methinks this is a big reason, if not the main reason, this whole thing was started in the first place

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The kicker will be when Uncle Sam wants his cut from the NIL deals. That's coming! 

cant get here quick enough, i think they will start cutting back a little

41 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Especially when every player has to start filing a 1099 as an independent contractor. That's no fun.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My point is NIL is being abused. It wasn't ever meant to be used as an enticement to get high school recruits. 

It very much was, though. Everyone who’s ever advocated for it knew that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

DAG, Sadly, I suspect we will likely get there in our lifetime.   As a walk-on baseball player I didn't have any scholarship money, room and board etc.   We all got about $100 for away SEC series.   We got AU sleeves, t-shirts, personalized luggage/bags, personalized jackets that all in were probably worth $350.    I still have all of that in my closet and every time I see one of them it makes me smile.    No one in their right mind would have given me much of an NIL deal.    But, man I received something so much richer.   For about 50 days out of the year, I was allowed put on something that only 34 other people on campus were allowed to wear.   That feeling was as pure and as good as any I have ever felt.   When you make a play and the crowd goes wild....   Those were some of the best of times.   Even the very best players on our team (save for BO because he had a football scholly) had only about 1/3rd of their expenses paid for.   But, no one even talked about it.   No one cared.    We were getting to do what we loved with other players we loved and for a coach that always (well almost always) made us feel special.  We were AU baseball players and that was more than we deserved and more than we needed.  Eventhough we were the third most popular sport, many on campus recognized us going to class, in class, at parties, etc.  The prettiest girls on campus would take notice and finding a date was rarely an issue (same as with the golf team😀).   So there were many unseen benefits that were not monetarily related.   As people age they often think back about the "good ole days."   I am guilty.    I wish we were still in a time where the top players came to Auburn simply because it was Auburn.   We aren't.   And, we must move on if we wish to remain relevant.   I hope we don't go so far as to totally ruin it.  

But don’t you know the only thing of value in life is money???

But seriously, thanks for sharing this!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Especially when every player has to start filing a 1099 as an independent contractor. That's no fun.

I assume all of the various collectives throughout the country will be filing, what is it, a w-9, where entities report income paid to non-employees.    

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It very much was, though. Everyone who’s ever advocated for it knew that.

No, it wasn't.  It's turned out that way, but it wasn't the original intention 

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

No, it wasn't.  It's turned out that way, but it wasn't the original intention 

You can’t “sort of” pay players. There’s no such thing as “sort of” pro sports. Everyone knew this is what we were signing up for because when any form of cash payment to players become legal, pay-for-play becomes inevitable.

Years ago, when NIL was barely even proposed, Herbstreit gave the perfect example. “Auburn may say to a kid, come to our school and we’ll have autograph sessions where you’ll get paid $5000 a pop. Alabama will counter with offering 10 grand a pop.”

And how could you stop it? How’s it even illegal? Technically they ARE getting paid for their likeness and name - just in a particular jersey. 

It just makes me mad when NIL advocates act surprised that the game is ruined. This is what was ALWAYS going to happen and what everybody warned against.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2