NIL Discussion

NWALA Tiger

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You can’t “sort of” pay players. There’s no such thing as “sort of” pro sports. Everyone knew this is what we were signing up for because when any form of cash payment to players become legal, pay-for-play becomes inevitable.

Years ago, when NIL was barely even proposed, Herbstreit gave the perfect example. “Auburn may say to a kid, come to our school and we’ll have autograph sessions where you’ll get paid $5000 a pop. Alabama will counter with offering 10 grand a pop.”

And how could you stop it? How’s it even illegal? Technically they ARE getting paid for their likeness and name - just in a particular jersey. 

It just makes me mad when NIL advocates act surprised that the game is ruined. This is what was ALWAYS going to happen and what everybody warned against.

I'm not sure what to tell you. It's against NCAA rules to use NIL to entice someone to choose a particular school. Now, enforcement of that is another story. And I know it's happening left and right. Some states allow it for High schoolers. But, that doesn't change the fact thats not what NIL was intended to do. 

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not sure what to tell you. It's against NCAA rules to use NIL to entice someone to choose a particular school. Now, enforcement of that is another story. And I know it's happening left and right. Some states allow it for High schoolers. But, that doesn't change the fact thats not what NIL was intended to do. 

That’s the equivalent of saying the transfer portal wasn’t designed for free agency. Even if that wasn’t the intention, free agency IS a consequence of it.

The intent of NIL doesn’t matter. The results do. Everybody always knew this would be the result. No one was naive enough to think the NIL would just be a few kids getting McDonalds commercials and the rest of CFB would remain the same.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LPTiger said:

The prettiest girls on campus would take notice and finding a date was rarely an issue (same as with the golf team😀).  

This is very true I must admit. Averaged about 2 or 3 times a quarter falling in love but we golfers always had the prettiest girls not baseball, football or basketball guys.... everybody knows that

3 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Especially when every player has to start filing a 1099 as an independent contractor. That's no fun.

A former neighbor of mine was a pitcher for the Royals years back and I seem to remember his wife mentioning that if a paid athlete plays in any road games where state income tax is levied, then the athlete must also file a tax return in that state.  I'm not an accountant so I'm not familiar with current tax laws, but if this is still the case, it could get messy if a filing is missed.

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

This is very true I must admit. Averaged about 2 or 3 times a quarter falling in love but we golfers always had the prettiest girls not baseball, football or basketball guys.... everybody knows that

Touche'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Especially when every player has to start filing a 1099 as an independent contractor. That's no fun.

When they start????  What???

NIL is now over 2 yrs old, athletes have been paying taxes and filing 1099's the entire time.  Heck, most NIL collectives offer every athlete tax education and even tax prep as part of the package.  

Y'all act like this all just started when Hugh Freeze and Auburn recruiting started booming.  NIL is no longer in it's infancy and thank goodness Auburn finally caught up. 

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Could we please get back to the Topic of this thread which is Zaquan Patterson?  Tired of the NIL rhetoric.  Thank you.

Bro, this thread has diverted way off NIL 😳. Posts about Golf's love life are now being discussed

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, gctiger said:

A former neighbor of mine was a pitcher for the Royals years back and I seem to remember his wife mentioning that if a paid athlete plays in any road games where state income tax is levied, then the athlete must also file a tax return in that state.  I'm not an accountant so I'm not familiar with current tax laws, but if this is still the case, it could get messy if a filing is missed.

That is true. And it will likely hit NIL eventually. Hopefully, we’re in the process of getting Zaquan Patterson some OTV NIL love. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

That is true. And it will likely hit NIL eventually. Hopefully, we’re in the process of getting Zaquan Patterson some OTV NIL love. 

Good job Web... way to get the thread back on track🙃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Nothing says pretty like the old school LPGA. 

• ellitor changed the title to NIL & Golf Love Life Discussion
  • augolf1716 changed the title to NIL Discussion
5 hours ago, gctiger said:

Sounds about right. In my consulting days I had to file a tax return in every state that I worked with a client. 

9 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The ncaa slow played things, kicked the can down the road and wouldn’t address the issue. The SCOTUS ruled and now no matter how much time and wasted efforts legislators expend on drafting bills to regulate NIL, they’ll never make it past committee.

Edited by keesler

7 hours ago, JerryAU said:

When they start????  What???

NIL is now over 2 yrs old, athletes have been paying taxes and filing 1099's the entire time.  Heck, most NIL collectives offer every athlete tax education and even tax prep as part of the package.  

Y'all act like this all just started when Hugh Freeze and Auburn recruiting started booming.  NIL is no longer in it's infancy and thank goodness Auburn finally caught up. 

If I remember correctly, a few months ago there was a massive change on the front end of NIL collectives making them non-charitable organizations. Now that the IRS has ruled that they do not qualify for tax exemption, how will that affect the athletes benefitting from those funds? 

Will it change from reported income from a charitable organization to independent contractor income? If so, things are about to get really weird really quick. The tax ruling happened in June of this year, so a lot could change for a lot of people. 2 months and no seasons is very much something "in its infancy" in a grand scope. 

Thankfully Auburn was way ahead on all of this and listed our NIL collective as non-charitable donations from the beginning. 

On 8/23/2023 at 6:53 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

Cheating is now glorified.

This is why I wasn’t opposed to your boy getting the job. He did it well at Ole Miss. In fact, I said it was the top reason why I would be good with his hire. Go get those Treadwell’s and Nkemdiche‘s and pay em. Whatever it takes.

• Love 1

So anyone have any inkling of what is considered CHF scale? When is it worth it to go passed this scale? when is it not?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

So anyone have any inkling of what is considered CHF scale? When is it worth it to go passed this scale? when is it not?

When we get the recruit, he was within scale. 

When we don't, he was outside of scale. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Jan Stephenson!!!

I met Jan at Windermere CC a few times great looking and with that Aussie accent my old my........but nuttier then a fruit cake she had a addiction problem . She got herself cleaned and is now living in New Port Richey, FL

The remarkable story of golf disruptor Jan Stephenson ...

On 8/23/2023 at 6:09 PM, augolf1716 said:

Now we can agree on that........

Jan Stephenson on the cover of Sport magazine. For those who have never seen it, you're welcome. 

• Like 1