Oliver Anthony speaks out about his music at the GOP debate, clarifies he isn’t conservative and slams both political parties.

Didba

First off, I’d like to say I was wrong about this guy, turns out many of you were wrong about him too. He’s not a conservative like many assumed  

Second he harshly criticizes the use of his music for political purposes  

Third he states that his song was about those people on stage at the GOP debate.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/oliver-anthony-video-politics-gop-debate-slams-conservatives-liberals-1235704887/amp/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Didba said:

First off, I’d like to say I was wrong about this guy, turns out many of you were wrong about him too. He’s not a conservative like many assumed  

Third he states that his song was about those people on stage at the GOP debate.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/oliver-anthony-video-politics-gop-debate-slams-conservatives-liberals-1235704887/amp/

Not limited to party. Most in politics.

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Saying you were wrong is hard.  Fourth, he is refusing to profit off of it. 

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I will have to question his sanity if he actually turned down an $8 million signing bonus with a record label like I read somewhere.  He will regret that one day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I will have to question his sanity if he actually turned down an $8 million signing bonus with a record label like I read somewhere.  He will regret that one day.

How much is your soul worth?

Just now, DKW 86 said:

How much is your soul worth?

I don't think he will look back and think he saved his soul.  I do believe that he will look back and regret not cashing in when the opportunity presented itself.  I don't think you have to sell your soul when your bank account increases.

12 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I don't think he will look back and think he saved his soul.  I do believe that he will look back and regret not cashing in when the opportunity presented itself.  I don't think you have to sell your soul when your bank account increases.

You so funny. He plainly says in the video, you didn't bother to watch, that HE will produce his own music etc etc etc. He is doing what many artists wait years to do. Ask Taylor Swift  She is celebrating re-doing her own music and making scads of money ON HER ART. She really does resent losing control of her work. OA is not going to do that it seems. What will he earn? Let's wait and find out.

Edited by DKW 86

10 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

You so funny. He plainly says in the video, you didn't bother to watch, that HE will produce his own music etc etc etc. He is doing what many artists wait years to do. Ask Taylor Swift  She is celebrating re-doing her own music and making scads of money ON HER ART. She really does resent losing control of her work. OA is not going to do that it seems. What will he earn? Let's wait and find out.

I wasn't implying that anything was wrong with whatever he wants to do.  I was simply stating that, in my opinion, he will regret turning down that kind of money.  It is just about perspective.  When someone is young, they tend to believe that opportunities will always be there.  Unfortunately, they won't.  Taylor Swift can do her own thing now and not be living in a trailer worrying about how the power bill gets paid.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I wasn't implying that anything was wrong with whatever he wants to do.  I was simply stating that, in my opinion, he will regret turning down that kind of money.  It is just about perspective.  When someone is young, they tend to believe that opportunities will always be there.  Unfortunately, they won't.  Taylor Swift can do her own thing now and not be living in a trailer worrying about how the power bill gets paid.

AU93, I've probably absorbed as much info on Oliver as anyone here because I find him compelling.   I view this issue of $$$$ from a different perspective.  How many 20ish year old's who are fairly poor, could walk away from $8MM in guaranteed money and instant fame?  I promise you as a second year law student with student loans piled to the sky, I would have jumped on it back then.    I don't think he necessarily believes "opportunities will always be there," and that is the reason why he turned down the money.   I think he turned it down because if the opportunities are not there he will be just fine being who he always has been.   He is struggling right now with all of this attention, and he wants to take his time and most of all be true to who he really is.    Pretty remarkable really.  

5 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

AU93, I've probably absorbed as much info on Oliver as anyone here because I find him compelling.   I view this issue of $$$$ from a different perspective.  How many 20ish year old's who are fairly poor, could walk away from $8MM in guaranteed money and instant fame?  I promise you as a second year law student with student loans piled to the sky, I would have jumped on it back then.    I don't think he necessarily believes "opportunities will always be there," and that is the reason why he turned down the money.   I think he turned it down because if the opportunities are not there he will be just fine being who he always has been.   He is struggling right now with all of this attention, and he wants to take his time and most of all be true to who he really is.    Pretty remarkable really.  

He is a follower of Christ and as such he is leery of giving into temptation as he has been there before.  Bravo for this man, stay strong and live your life.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I don't doubt that at all.  I just cautioned that he may one day regret that decision.  In the end, it is his to make and I fully respect that.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 6:49 PM, LPTiger said:

I was wrong about him being a conservative. I still think all the other stuff about the song.