John Fetterman Trolls Lauren Boebert, Ron DeSantis, Marjorie Taylor Greene Over Dress Code Freakout

aubiefifty

John Fetterman Trolls Lauren Boebert, Ron DeSantis, Marjorie Taylor Greene Over Dress Code Freakout

Lexi McMenamin
Thu, September 21, 2023 at 10:17 AM CDT·3 min read

0a32ab7d7c1fc87e84903b8561d3e485

Dress codes are often ways of policing standards around race and gender – so no wonder the Republicans are so upset about the end of dress codes on the Senate floor. In the ensuing dust-up, social media maven Sen. John Fetterman (D) of Pennsylvania, previously stuck voting from chamber doorways in order to remain in his signature hoodie and basketball shorts, has taken the opportunity to dunk on pissy Republicans from the stratosphere.

In 2023, only about 3 percent of American men and women wear “business” attire like suits on a regular basis to their jobs; in another poll, almost 60 percent of respondents said shorts like Fetterman’s are fine at work “at least some of the time.” (Not mentioned in much of this coverage: This policy change only applies to Senators, not to staffers, who will still be expected to adhere to dress code.)

After the announcement that Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer moved to end enforcement of the informal dress code on the Senate floor, Republicans sort of went berserk towards Fetterman, convinced he’s to blame, though Schumer didn’t give a reason; obviously some Democrats, like Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) – shocker – felt similarly. Their complaints claim dressing in more casual clothing undermines the sanctity of the Senate floor, as opposed to all the other (actually consequential) things Senators do that make them look unserious, not to mention the number of scandals regularly facing the Republican party, suit or no suit. One conservative commentator called Fetterman “a revolting slob” over the change

“They’re freaking out, I don’t understand it,” Fetterman told the AP on September 18. “Like, aren’t there more important things we should be working on right now instead of, you know, that I might be dressing like a slob?” Tongue-in-cheek, Fetterman has offered to “save democracy by wearing a suit on the Senate floor next week” if the House avoids a shutdown, currently a possibility due to the House’s inability to agree on funding.

When it came to their personal attacks and complaints, Fetterman was happy to play ball with them. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) claimed that “this guy from Pennsylvania” was “dumbing down” America’s standards; Fetterman replied, “I dress like he campaigns.” (DeSantis is currently floundering “on life support” in the New Hampshire presidential primary polls.)

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) said the policy change, which she called disgraceful, was “to appease Fetterman.” He quote-tweeted, responding, “Thankfully, the nation's lower chamber lives by a higher code of conduct: displaying ding-a-ling pics in public hearings.” The joke was in reference to Greene displaying explicit photos of Hunter Biden to a congressional committee over the summer.

In response to a Fox News tweet blaming Fetterman for “lowering the bar” with the policy, and with a nod to Colorado Rep. Lauren Boebert’s (R) current scandal over vaping and groping her seatmate at a Colorado performance of “Beetlejuice,” Fetterman wrote, “I figure if I take up vaping and grabbing the hog during a live musical, they'll make me a folk hero.”

As if that level of trolling wasn’t enough, Fetterman also launched merch this week poking fun at a right-wing conspiracy theory that he’s been replaced by a body double. (Yes. Seriously.)

Stay up-to-date with the politics team. Sign up for the Teen Vogue Take

Originally Appeared on Teen Vogue

i meant to post this on the snarky said but i am not moving it so i will behave........

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Dress codes are often ways of policing standards around race and gender – so no wonder the Republicans are so upset about the end of dress codes on the Senate floor.

The first line is an outright lie, something I would suspect from “Teen Vogue”.  It makes the rest of the article non-sense.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

John Fetterman needs to grow up.  As a U.S. Senator he is a representative of the people.  Accepting the Senate dress code would  demonstrate a mature acceptance of his important role.  It is clear he has not internalized the concept of service to his constituents.  The world doesn't revolve round him despite what he thinks.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

On 9/21/2023 at 12:48 PM, I_M4_AU said:

The first line is an outright lie, something I would suspect from “Teen Vogue”.  It makes the rest of the article non-sense.

Nah.  Even if you throw out that line, the rest of the article is on point.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Nah.  Even if you throw out that line, the rest of the article is on point.

100% of the members of the Senate were wearing suits up until Fetterman joined the Senate.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

100% of the members of the Senate were wearing suits up until Fetterman joined the Senate.

And?  I mean, yes, I think he should wear a suit and tie, unless some sort of fine motor skills disability makes buttoning a dress shirt or tying a tie too difficult.  That's my preference.  He dresses like a slob and workplaces should be able to set a dress code that is followed by those who work there.  

But the people he called out deserve the clapback he gave them.  The QAnon bimbos have zero standing to critique anyone for "lowering the bar" or calling someone else's behavior disgraceful.  If someone like Romney or the late John McCain or someone on that level were commenting, maybe you listen.  Coming from these jokes, nah.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And?

The article was a left baiting piece that has nothing to do with the fact Fetterman refuses to dress appropriately.  This article tries to paint a Senate dress code as some kind of blight on race and gender.  Ridiculous IMO.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The article was a left baiting piece that has nothing to do with the fact Fetterman refuses to dress appropriately.  This article tries to paint a Senate dress code as some kind of blight on race and gender.  Ridiculous IMO.

The article wasn't debating whether it was right or wrong for Fetterman to get a dress code exemption.  It was about who of all people felt like they had the standing to come at him over it and their startling and complete lack of irony.

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The article wasn't debating whether it was right or wrong for Fetterman to get a dress code exemption.  It was about who of all people felt like they had the standing to come at him over it and their startling and complete lack of irony.

You obviously believed the narrative as they pointed out how disgraceful the objectors were *outside* of congress in the case of Boebert.  Makes perfect since.

MTG is somewhat of a loose cannon.

Edited by I_M4_AU

Fetterman is a good example of a guy who needs to dress more appropriately for his position in our Congress. 

And Boebert is an example of how now matter how sharply you dress and how much your wardrobe costs, it is still embarrassing to represent our nation when you publicly grope and get groped on camera in a crowded theater, then lie about it.

How about they all clean up their act and ramp up their professionalism and behaviors?