Offensive Analysis

LPTiger

My instincts are PT has hit a wall.  If people want to throw him out against uga’s defense have at it. My preference is to go all in on the run game and RA with the rpo. Neither option is great and chf will have to make a tough decision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

Ok u win LP. I see u just stat gathering and not watching the games. In the Cal game it just came on the screen and they were already reviewing a fumble by PT. Luckily they only got 3 when it should have been 7

I was in Cal in person. And, we won.    At A&M we were down 6-3 at half.   RA gets 3 of the first 4 possessions in the 2nd half and all are 3 and outs and suddenly we are down 20-6.   RA has 4 years on tape from HS to AU.   He is a career below 50% passer.   But, yes please let's opt for more 3 and outs.   At least he didn't "look scared" when he wasn't moving the ball.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

PT was at 50% and RA was at 25%.

I am not talking about RA. You are the only one discussing RA. I am talking about PT. If it were up to me neither PT or RA would be getting any more attempts until I tried HG and made the game plan very simple. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am not talking about RA. You are the only one discussing RA. I am talking about PT. If it were up to me neither PT or RA would be getting any more attempts until I tried HG and made the game plan very simple. 

That is certainly an option, but it doesn't seem like one our staff will embrace...

4 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

That is certainly an option, but it doesn't seem like one our staff will embrace...

That’s fine, if Montgomery wants to get fired for continuing to play PT, that’s his business. Not my circus, not my monkeys. However, you are kidding yourself if you are trying to convince us, this version of PT is the answer.  

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the answer to our issues is on the roster right now (haven't seen Holden, but I think we can all agree 😁 that it's neither Thorne nor Ashford).

At this point, the coaches just have to pick the guy they think gives us the best chance to be competitive and completely alter the offense to fit their strengths and abilities.

It's not where anyone thought we would be, but it's where we are.

Edited by TheDob06
  • Like 1

Naming your starting qb at the start of the season is maybe the biggest call any coach makes. And yet every late sept we always seem to be still figuring out which qb best.  Damn I hope this cycle is winding down.

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Is the staff and OL this year the same as last. To date RA has not been put in a situation to  run the entire offense. He has no turnovers but u would rather have a QB with a shaken confidence start against GA. 

I don't think it will make a difference if I come out of the stands and play against Georgia. I wouldn't throw Holden in there without having a couple of weeks of taking all of the snaps with the 1s. We have a week off before LSU, so I would stick with what we have until then. RA is NOT going to be a successful DIV 1 QB in my opinion. 

We knew at the end of last season that we didn't have a starting SEC QB on the roster. Freeze should have brought in someone better than Thorne. And when he didn't, he should have put all his support behind Thorne. In the press conferences and in the game. None of that QB carousel in the first few games. 

We now don't appear to have an answer on the roster. RA has never been an accurate passer. Geriner is the question mark but hasn't looked great either. 

I say we go all in on Thorne for the UGA game and maybe the next. That probably won't work out so then we give Geriner a shot. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

We knew at the end of last season that we didn't have a starting SEC QB on the roster. Freeze should have brought in someone better than Thorne. And when he didn't, he should have put all his support behind Thorne. In the press conferences and in the game. None of that QB carousel in the first few games. 

We now don't appear to have an answer on the roster. RA has never been an accurate passer. Geriner is the question mark but hasn't looked great either. 

I say we go all in on Thorne for the UGA game and maybe the next. That probably won't work out so then we give Geriner a shot. 

He should've gotten at least two guys. I never understood waiting for the "right" guy this late in the game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

He should've gotten at least two guys. I never understood waiting for the "right" guy this late in the game. 

A lot of us said that. But we were reassured that he have 2 QB guru's who know best, so just trust it. Kind of like we didn't want Keon Coleman because he's not a good fit for the culture the team is building. 

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

A lot of us said that. But we were reassured that he have 2 QB guru's who know best, so just trust it. Kind of like we didn't want Keon Coleman because he's not a good fit for the culture the team is building. 

So silly. And now he is dominating at FSU and I am pretty sure he did not want anything to do with this QB. That was red flag #1.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LPTiger said:

The score in Cal Washington sure looked bad for Cal.    It was made worse by a pick 6 and a TD on a punt return.   Overall the stats were fairly even Cal had 502 total yards of offense vs Washington at 539.   Cal had 28 first downs to Washington's 23.

I watched that game and it was 52-12 right after halftime. It could've been alot worse.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

There was no waiting for the right guys.  We initially went after a sub 50 IQ player who writes in Crayon, then missed on multiple people, then couldn't convince a half dozen guys to enter the portal and transfer here, then might have gotten one but it leaked and killed it, then we got Thorne.

Anyone saying we were waiting are just lying to themselves.  We were missing

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

So silly. And now he is dominating at FSU and I am pretty sure he did not want anything to do with this QB. That was red flag #1.

Right, it should have been. 

I know I'm being hard on Freeze and honestly I thought Thorne would be better myself. Freeze needs more time and I get it.

But I'm so tired of watching Auburn make passing offense look like the most difficult thing in the world. And I keep wondering, why can the D get to this level so quickly and the offense can't? Year after year. Especially when we keep hiring offensive minded coaches?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

There was no waiting for the right guys.  We initially went after a sub 50 IQ player who writes in Crayon, then missed on multiple people, then couldn't convince a half dozen guys to enter the portal and transfer here, then might have gotten one but it leaked and killed it, then we got Thorne.

Yep. PT was not HF first, second or third choice and it is blatantly obvious or else I am really questioning coaching acumen around here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, e808 said:

Final score was 51-33. I believe.

It was 45-12 at half. 52-12 barely into the 3rd qtr. Cal struggled last week with freaking Idaho. Cal isn't this team that has totally turned it around through the portal from the crap team they've been the last few years. No matter how our insiders or reporters try to spin it. Cal is a bad team and we are a bad team. It was an ugly game between 2 bad teams. We escaped with a W.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What’s crazy is money doesn’t usually miss.  Would an extra $500k be worth it to get out of this mess?  An extra mil?  Missed on guys at UK, Tulane, Duke.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

What’s crazy is money doesn’t usually miss.  Would an extra $500k be worth it to get out of this mess?  An extra mil?  Missed on guys at UK, Tulane, Duke.

Laughing at the people thinking Hugh knew Leary wasn't worth it.  How do you feel now? Especially knowing he'd be here for Spring...which I think is 50% of our PT issues 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cbo said:

Right, it should have been. 

I know I'm being hard on Freeze and honestly I thought Thorne would be better myself. Freeze needs more time and I get it.

But I'm so tired of watching Auburn make passing offense look like the most difficult thing in the world. And I keep wondering, why can the D get to this level so quickly and the offense can't? Year after year. Especially when we keep hiring offensive minded coaches?

What’s especially concerning is we’re going against the most 5* loaded defense in the country and on national television in 6 days.  With a ton a recruiting prospects coming. And we’re debating who’s the least bad qb option.

May be freezes biggest week so far.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Laughing at the people thinking Hugh knew Leary wasn't worth it.  How do you feel now? Especially knowing he'd be here for Spring...which I think is 50% of our PT issues 

It's Football 101 that QB is the most important position. And we didn't have one. But we were too smart to pay as much as noted football powerhouse UK? Didn't make sense at the time and doesn't now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

I was in Cal in person. And, we won.    At A&M we were down 6-3 at half.   RA gets 3 of the first 4 possessions in the 2nd half and all are 3 and outs and suddenly we are down 20-6.   RA has 4 years on tape from HS to AU.   He is a career below 50% passer.   But, yes please let's opt for more 3 and outs.   At least he didn't "look scared" when he wasn't moving the ball.  

I hate to admit this but I think we just have a bad QB room this year just like we had a bad QB room last year. Holden couldn't get on the field when Harsin was our HC, when Caddy was or interim HC and now with Freeze as our HC. Robby gets on the field this year but doesn't look like he has progressed at all with his accuracy from last year, even though we have Freeze, Montgomery and Kent Austin on staff as QB guru's. Robby is a great athlete but not a QB. Payton Thorne is here because of his high football IQ, being a leader and having played in big games according to Freeze. Well, se haven't even sniffed the "big games" yet and Thorne looks like a deer in headlights with his decision making. I'm still waiting on his "high football IQ" to kick in. 

We have a bad QB room and we had a bad QB room last year. I'm already wondering about the plan for next year at QB. I doubt Freeze rolls with Walker White as QB1 as a true freshman. Does our trio of QB Guru coaches suddenly make Thorne into a QB that can lead us to being an 8 or 9 win team and competing in the SEC next year? Texas and Oklahoma also come in next year to the SEC so they're gonna compete for sure with everybody. Is Robby here next year or does he transfer down like TJ did? Will it suddenly click with Holden Geriner and he understand this offense and see the field enough to have us competing next year? Is he even here next year?

I'll say this, if Freeze goes the portal route again for a QB, he doesn't need to wait like he did. He knew McCall couldn't transfer here before us fans knew it. He then, according to our insiders and reporters, passed on Power 5 starting QB veterans for the smallest of reasons, if it's even true that he passed on them. We are told he waited for "his guy" which was Payton Thorne?? Thorne even said in an interview 2 weeks ago "if you told me a week before I transferred that I would be entering the portal, I would've said you're crazy. But things didnt go like I thought so I jumped in the portal." He was beat out by Kim, a true freshman. Let's stop trying to spin it. MSU fans all said he was beaten out by Kim and even ESPN announcer Beth Mowins said the same thing. We made excuses for Thorne, me included, but the guy was beaten out and never expected to be so he left. 

Which means Freeze wasn't ever "waiting for his guy Thorne" the whole summer to enter the portal. If Thorne didn't know 1 week before he entered the portal, Freeze damn sure didn't know Thorne was entering. That's just the AU media spinning things because Freeze didn't get a portal QB but meanwhile Kentucky got Leary, Hartman went to Notre Dame, Kiffin got a whole room of veteran starting QB's but we just sat idle for whatever reason. It was a bad decision and then as soon as Thorne entered the portal, Freeze jumped because he knew he was in trouble and needed somebody. 

If Freeze ever goes the portal route for a QB again, he better not drag his feet or be nearly as picky as he "supposedly" was.

• Like 2