America doesn’t need more God. It needs more atheists.

CoffeeTiger

3 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Can’t remember if I already replied to this. But 17 pages of comments is too much to read. America doesn’t need more god or more atheists. It needs more open mindedness. I know plenty of conservatives that think atheists are all awful people. But I also know plenty of atheists who claim to be open minded that say how bad all of the Christian’s are. To which I have to remind them… hello. I’m a Christian and I have more progressive views than you’re pigeonholing me into having. 
Just because you don’t believe in God doesn’t make you inherently a bad person. But organized religion is also not the ultimate evil. Atheists still have morals just like most religious groups do, Christian’s included. They are just guided more generally by society rather than directly from religious text. As for religious folks, not every Christian thinks LGBTQ folks are evil, abortion is a sin that condemns you to hell, etc. In fact data suggests that the percentage of Christian’s that think that way is actually starting to shrink. There were already a decent number of progressive Christian’s in the country and around the world. But, youngish progressives that left the church 10-15 years ago as teens and young adults are beginning to come back, and are bringing more inclusive, loving views of Christianity with them. In addition, many of them are bringing their children as well. 

In short, atheists don’t stereotype Christian’s. Christians don’t stereotype atheists. Everyone needs to ditch this “I have to be right” mentality and needs to start actually hearing out the people they disagree with. You want America to heal. That’s what needs to be done. Enough with the conspiracy theories and stereotyping the other side. Check your biases. Find others that have done the same, and listen to each other.

Fun little side fact, my faith has been shaped by non-religious folks and folks from other religions probably as much as it’s been shaped by pastors and Christians.

Very good post and I agree with you. 17 pages are a lot and understandable that you do not care to wade through it. If you did you would see clearly that a few “close minded” left progressives here. 

We have one individual that takes liberty to charge anyone referencing the Biblical teachings with worshipping the Bible and religion.

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

America needs to exhibit the principles of Jesus,,, love, grace, mercy, charity, forgiveness.

However, our true religion is capitalism.  Our true god is wealth/power.

You are very confusing and undoubtedly disturbed. You are saying that America needs more Jesus, God yet you facepalm Christian post and like or “belly up” to many things the agnostics and atheists say. 

25 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

yet you facepalm Christian post and like or “belly up” to many things the agnostics and atheists say. 

Think.  Perhaps that is due to just how far away from Jesus, "christianity" has moved.

9 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Think.  Perhaps that is due to just how far away from Jesus, "christianity" has moved.

There are plenty of us Christians who have not moved away from Jesus.  Just because we believe the Bible is the Word of God, doesn’t mean we don’t worship and follow Jesus.  We will never be in the Church of ICHY, denying Bible truth yet quoting from it regularly.  Perhaps you should be the one who needs to “think”.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

America needs to exhibit the principles of Jesus,,, love, grace, mercy, charity, forgiveness.

However, our true religion is capitalism.  Our true god is wealth/power.

I totally agree with this. ichy, when you are right, you are right.

That any child goes to bed hungry is wrong. When people have to decide between eating, rent, and meds, that is society's fault.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

There are plenty of us Christians who have not moved away from Jesus.  Just because we believe the Bible is the Word of God, doesn’t mean we don’t worship and follow Jesus.  We will never be in the Church of ICHY, denying Bible truth yet quoting from it regularly.  Perhaps you should be the one who needs to “think”.

And just what do you think God would say about America, the richest nation on the planet if He spoke directly to us today? Cant wait to hear this....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You are very confusing and undoubtedly disturbed. You are saying that America needs more Jesus, God yet you facepalm Christian post and like or “belly up” to many things the agnostics and atheists say. 

Is it Christian to turn our backs on the elderly? Is it Cristian to accuse and ridicule LGBTQ? Show me where Christ ridiculed unbelievers.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

23 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

And just what do you think God would say about America, the richest nation on the planet if He spoke directly to us today? Cant wait to hear this....

America has turned it’s back on Christian values as it has promoted the separation of church and state.  Does God admonish countries?  Can a country sin?

There are plenty in this forum that argue America was not founded on Christain values and should not be guided by religion.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

America has turned it’s back on Christian values as it has promoted the separation of church and state.  Does God admonish countries?  Can a country sin?

There are plenty in this forum that argue America was not founded on Christain valises and should not be guided by religion.

Count me in. I dont want to live under your Denomination's beliefs or under some Mormon's beliefs, or under some Catholic's beliefs. There are likely 100+ denominations out there. We dont have enough in common even as Christians. I, and I think most Americans, think that secular government should structure Freedom of Religion. You are either a believer or not, but our nation is not based on whether you are or not. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Count me in. I dont want to live under your Denomination's beliefs or under some Mormon's beliefs, or under some Catholic's beliefs. There are likely 100+ dominations out there. We dont have enough in common even as Christians. I, and I think most Americans, think that secular government should structure Freedom of Religion. You are either a believer or not, but our nation is not based on whether you are or not. 

So why would you think God has an opinion about America?

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

I totally agree with this. ichy, when you are right, you are right.

That any child goes to bed hungry is wrong. When people have to decide between eating, rent, and meds, that is society's fault.

Thank you.  Exactly, we have made the choice of power over principles.  We are NOT a Christian nation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Thank you.  Exactly, we have made the choice of power over principles.  We are NOT a Christian nation.

So are you saying if we were a Christian nation then no child would go to bed hungry and that no one would struggle with rent, meds,…

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

So why would you think God has an opinion about America?

I think he has an opinion on everything. I just dont think he is enamored with America like He did once when we were freeing the slaves and beating the Nazis. What are we doing now? The Rich get richer and more powerful and the MiddleClass suffers more each day. That is not Christ like thinking. We worship $$$, capitalism, power, nationalism, etc. No Christ in that at all.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I think he has an opinion on everything. I just dont think he is enamored with America like He did once when we were freeing the slaves and beating the Nazis. What are we doing now? The Rich get Richer and more Powerful and the MiddleClass suffers more each day. That ia not Christ like thinking. We worship $$$, capitalism, power, nationalism, etc. No Christ in that at all.

I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but it seems when America had Christian ideals He was more enamored with America.  We still had the rich getting richer back then.

You ask *what are we doing now*?  We have taken God out of the classroom and replaced the vacuum of structured ideals with ideologies.  What did you expect would happen?

How can you have Christ like thinking if you don’t teach Christ like ideals?  Christianity and church attendance has wained in the last decade or so and Christ like ideals are hard to uphold if the youth are only subjected to Christ like thinking only one day a week and most of our youth are not exposed to any.

Our schools have become undisciplined and run by people who are afraid to discipline a child and the parents, who used to back a teacher, are more than likely to undercut any discipline in the classroom.

We have a President that likes to state *this is not who we are as Americans* and he is the one that is eroding American values on a daily basis.

Obama said he wanted to *fundamentally transform America* and I have often wondered what he meant by that.  Now I know and it doesn’t seem to be a good thing.

If there is an issue with putting Christ back in schools, well that is a good argument for school choice.

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but it seems when America had Christian ideals He was more enamored with America.  We still had the rich getting richer back then.

You ask *what are we doing now*?  We have taken God out of the classroom and replaced the vacuum of structured ideals with ideologies.  What did you expect would happen?

How can you have Christ like thinking if you don’t teach Christ like ideals?  Christianity and church attendance has wained in the last decade or so and Christ like ideals are hard to uphold if the youth are only subjected to Christ like thinking only one day a week and most of our youth are not exposed to any.

Our schools have become undisciplined and run by people who are afraid to discipline a child and the parents, who used to back a teacher, are more than likely to undercut any discipline in the classroom.

We have a President that likes to state *this is not who we are as Americans* and he is the one that is eroding American values on a daily basis.

Obama said he wanted to *fundamentally transform America* and I have often wondered what he meant by that.  Now I know and it doesn’t seem to be a good thing.

If there is an issue with putting Christ back in schools, well that is a good argument for school choice.

Exactly what Christ like ideals do you want to teach?

Discipline in schools? That is worldwide and not exactly Christian. 

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Exactly what Christ like ideals do you want to teach?

The same ideals that were taught that lead to freeing the slaves and defending freedom in WWII.

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Discipline in schools? That is worldwide and not exactly Christian. 

You’re right, it isn’t Christian and that is why need it back.

I’m sure you meant it another way.

Once you lower that standards, it’s hard to get them back.

On 11/10/2023 at 1:17 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Not showing an adequate amount of tribal discipline? :-\

Perhaps some of those "Christian post" are not really Christian in nature?

Perhaps some of the "things the agnostics and atheists say" reflect true Christian values?

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

You do not impose the principles of Jesus.  You cannot instill them by decree.  You have to practice those principles through a spirit of lover, mercy, charity.

Perhaps the church itself has lost touch with the principles of Jesus.

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

You do not impose the principles of Jesus.  You cannot instill them by decree.  You have to practice those principles through a spirit of lover, mercy, charity.

Perhaps the church itself has lost touch with the principles of Jesus.

Ideology is being imposed on our youth right now.  The reason the left have no problem with it is that it is not a religion, but is more damaging to our youth than a religion that uplifts people.

• Dislike 1

23 hours ago, homersapien said:

Not showing an adequate amount of tribal discipline? :-\

Perhaps some of those "Christian post" are not really Christian in nature?

Perhaps some of the "things the agnostics and atheists say" reflect true Christian values?

Thanks for attempting to explain. Just the world according to ICHY I suppose.

19 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I am speaking for myself, thank you.  Always do, for that matter.

(You need to evict ICHY from your head. It's not healthy to let someone else dwell there.)

• Haha 1

When we look to the love of Jesus in our hearts for guidance,,, we will usually do what is right.

When we look to worldly power/authority,,, we will further the problems of this world.

21 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

No sir.  However, I will not diminish the message of Jesus with religion.