2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'd like to think so, but (as per usual, admittedly) I'm a little nervous about if we can close this one. tOSU, Miami and USCw are also looking (though they'll likely take Will Howard, Malachi Nelson and Jordan McCloud).

Freeze recruited Salter to Liberty.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Viper said:

Freeze recruited Salter to Liberty.

I would pass on Salter. He is a decent CUSA QB but not SEC level. Look at what Oregon did to him when he played a top tier defense. 

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

Freeze recruited Salter to Liberty, not sure if Freeze would reach out to him or would wait for a bigger name.

Playmaker. Grab him and I can tell some of you guys didn't even watch the Oregon game. Stat watching just like some of y'all did with Thorne.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Playmaker. Grab him and I can tell some of you guys didn't even watch the Oregon game. Stat watching just like some of y'all did with Thorne.

I agree, this kid can make something happen when a play breaks down. Got great skills with his arm and his feet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BJH3324 said:

I would pass on Salter. He is a decent CUSA QB but not SEC level. Look at what Oregon did to him when he played a top tier defense. 

Was that a function of Salter individually, or his OLine and receivers?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BJH3324 said:

He looked great on the 1st drive. Tough to beat a P5 team on your own. They were 18-point dogs.

He scored 7 total TDs against New Mexico State in 2 games this season. How many did Thorne score?

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Crypto Dentist said:

Was that a function of Salter individually, or his OLine and receivers?

Both. I know people are going to say but but Peyton Thorne , however his WRs had several drops and one drop that led to an interception. Also he plays for Liberty , so not much you can do when you are playing the pac 12 runner ups. Let’s compare like opponents between the two. 

Edited by DAG

4 hours ago, CR said:

I think that was KJ Bolden?

Dang it. I believe you are  correct. I conflated the two I was reading up on. Thank you for the correction. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

however his WRs had several drops and one drop that led to an interception.

So he would be familiar with the Auburn offense?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

So he would be familiar with the Auburn offense?

In more ways than one.

• Like 1

Top Liberty defensive back entering as well. 

39 minutes ago, BJH3324 said:

He didn't panic agInst Oregon and his receivers dropped a lot of balls. Once they got behind they basically had no running game and dline laid ears back and came after him. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

Both. I know people are going to say but but Peyton Thorne , however his WRs had several drops and one drop that led to an interception. Also he plays for Liberty , so not much you can do when you are playing the pac 12 runner ups. Let’s compare like opponents between the two. 

I watched the game and the CUSA championship. Kid has skills but they didn’t transfer to big time ball. He is not much different than Robbie. 

1 minute ago, BJH3324 said:

I watched the game and the CUSA championship. Kid has skills but they didn’t transfer to big time ball. He is not much different than Robbie. 

Run skills looked close, but Liberty QB seemed to be better passer. Remember he began at UT.

4 minutes ago, BJH3324 said:

Yeah, and Bo Nix sucked because he got shut down by GA. 

Come on man. 

I guess it's a good thing that NFL GM's don't give a damn where guys play football, or Walter Payton would have never been drafted. 

Lots of talented players come from schools like Liberty it just takes skilled talent evaluators to recognize them, and not armchair fans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BJH3324 said:

What? You lose all credibility with this man. RA has never been the passer that Salter is... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

What? You lose all credibility with this man. RA has never been the passer that Salter is... 

He is a better passer that RA but has not faced SEC level defenses or a schedule like ours is my main point. I think there are better options we should be looking at that was it. 

also thanks for assessing my creditability…

6 minutes ago, BJH3324 said:

He is a better passer that RA but has not faced SEC level defenses or a schedule like ours is my main point. I think there are better options we should be looking at that was it. 

That is fine to say you think there are better options, but when you say he is similar to Robby when they are entirely two different type of athletes (not even going to go into QB play),  that is questionable.

Edited by DAG

6 minutes ago, BJH3324 said:

Salter is a qb , Robby is a big guy with Hback / hybrid running back potential. Robby can play LB if he wanted to. Excellent athlete. Not a QB.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BJH3324 said:

What are the other options?

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What are the other options?

Other than changing somebody’s mind that’s already committed it’s getting pretty thin. 🤔🤞🏼

Personally I hope we bring Salter in, but what do I know. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1

I get Freeze telling our QB room that he won't go after a portal QB, but after seeing no progress against Maryland he needs to sit them down and be honest. Thorne and Geriner made no strides with the bowl practices and who knows about Brown. He threw some beautiful throws, but Maryland had backups in at that point. At this point if there is someone available who can come in and make the team better, then bring them in. Bring on the competition and either let iron sharpen iron or separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Like 3

I wouldn't waste any significant money trying to reruit this Liberty QB, but if he can be brought in at a reasonable rate, it would be worth the competition. I think the portal has too many once again seeing G5 players with a heavy dose of orange bias, but I don't think we have an SEC level QB currently on the roster, so the competition would be welcome. 

• Like 1

Just found out his major is the same as McCall’s…can we still take him?

Edited by AUwent