2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

L Gerquan Scott - From a Hattiesburg Newspaper

Scott is the first player to enter the portal (USM) , sharing his intentions with a post on X. With one year of eligibility remaining, Scott is a notable loss after starting 41 consecutive games for the Golden Eagles, mostly at left guard.

Link

BIO

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

So far, based off of Cole Pinkston’s thread, I see a bunch of shiny objects that won’t be worth much in this conference. 

Maybe take the Edge from Boston College and a couple of lineman.

I hope we see a good alpha G5 WR enter and not go to Bama, Georgia, Texas or Ole Miss.

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So far, based off of Cole Pinkston’s thread, I see a bunch of shiny objects that won’t be worth much in this conference. 

Maybe take the Edge from Boston College and a couple of lineman.

I hope we see a good alpha G5 WR enter and not go to Bama, Georgia, Texas or Ole Miss.

I'd take the Duke DL all day every day.

• Like 3

The WR’s from Miss St intrigues me. We know those guy has gotten plenty of route running experience. Lenny might turn some of those guys back though.

shamelessly stolen from another site.i assume it to bt true but if not i am sure someone will call me out..........

In addition we have already learned of these Transfer Portal additions
QB Will Rogers
QB Max Johnson
QB Ken Seals
QB Will Howard (Kansas State)
QB Maalik Murphy (Texas) expected to leave.
RT Spencer Brown (Michigan State)

Matt Zenitz
Miami QB Tyler Van Dyke has entered the transfer portal,
@chris_hummer and I have learned for @247sports

i have no idea about who is good or not bbut i know you guys like to talk about what qb;s you would like to getin the portal so here are a few you might want to discuss.

Auburn has not offered. Need immediate help on the DL

Also has offers from Florida, Missouri and TCU

F_fWZICXAAA9jO0.jpg

image.png

'I'm not a normal football recruit:' From the wrestling mat to CFB's No. 1 transfer, meet Penn Joey Slackman

Joey Slackman didn't go to college for football. A few years later, he's the top-rated player in 247Sports' 2024 transfer portal rankings and has racked up more than 20 FBS offers.

Chris Hummer16 mins

The thoughts came as Joey Slackman mechanically sliced turkey at a deli back home in Commack, New York. He'd, only a few months before, earned a starting spot as a true freshman on Penn's nationally-ranked wrestling team. The academic rigors of the Ivy league had begun to feel easier, too.

Then came the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, and Penn moved all classes online. So Slackman went home and sliced meat in his down time to make some extra cash. It's in those moments when Slackman's mind drifted to football.

He wasn't recruited for it. He didn't really focus on it in high school. But he couldn't get the sport out of his head.

"It was a buildup," Slackman told 247Sports. "It was literally turkey. I was slicing turkey and not very happy with the way things were going. Then I thought, 'Maybe I'll try this football thing out.'"

A little more than three years later, Slackman is among the most sought-after players in the early portion of the 2024 transfer portal cycle. He went from wrestler to an All-Ivy League selection for Penn, a 6-foot-4, 300-pound defensive tackle who posted a 90.1 PFF grade this season for the Quakers. 247Sports ranks Slackman as the No. 1 overall player in the portal for the moment with a 92 overall rating.

The offers are coming in fast, too. It took only a few days for Slackman to roll in more than 20 offers, including schools such as Florida, Washington and Missouri.

"Reminds me a lot of Braden Fiske from last year's cycle in many ways," 247Sports analyst and prospect evaluator Clint Brewster said. "He's a physically-imposing DT with shade-versatility and plenty of athleticism. Plays extremely hard with a brawler's mentality upfront. … He's the type of player that everybody wants in their foxhole."

Slackman's phone won't stop ringing. He calls it the greatest possible problem in the world, because Slackman never expected to be in this position.

It's not as if Slackman lacked a college football-esque profile as a high school recruit. He was big at 285 pounds, productive as an all-state player and won his state wrestling championship. Schools usually salivate over that type of player on the defensive line. But Slackman came from an OK high school football team in a lightly recruited part of the country. He didn't really attend camps, either.

His focus was wrestling. Slackman ranked in the top 12 nationally in his weight class as a senior. To get there, he wrestled year round.

"I wanted to be an All-American, national champion-level wrestler in college," Slackman said. "Football wasn't in the cards for me."

Slackman enrolled at Penn and remembers going to football games and strolling past some practices. Those moments always caused a bit of an itch. Then, when in-person schooling and wrestling was taken off the table during the pandemic — Slackman took a gap year from Penn in 2020-21 to protect his eligibility — Slackman couldn't keep football out of his head.

He liked being around teammates. He liked having a shared goal. He'd never won a team championship. That desire never went away.

"Funny enough, one of the Penn coaches asked if I wanted to play in my senior year of high school," Slackman said. "During COVID, when nothing was happening, I was sitting at home with my family. And they expressed, 50 years down the line, when you're looking back on things, you don't want to regret anything. I called the coach who asked me if I wanted to play and asked if there was a spot. He said, 'Yeah, we'd welcome you.'"

Slackman adjusted to football quickly after two years away. He picked up his first-career sack in Week 3. By the end of 2021, he was a key piece of the Quakers' D-line rotation. A year later, Slackman emerged as a starter an honorable mention All-Ivy selection.

It helped Slackman that his wrestling background translates to football. Hand fighting is the basis of wrestling. It's how you score. It's not that different along the defensive front, where hand fighting often decides whether a D-lineman wins a rep.

"Keeping guys off you and learning how to hand fight and get behind a guy to score a point in wrestling is pretty much the same thing I do as a defensive lineman," Slackman said. "It was a pretty seamless transition."

With one year of eligibility remaining as a graduate transfer, Slackman says his goals are straightforward: One, find a place where he can win. It's why he changed sports. Two, work toward a useful master's degree. Three, continue to develop with a hopeful eye toward the NFL.

As for whom Slackman might consider, he said that he hopes to have a list of top schools by the end of the week. At that point, he'll start to schedule visits.

Three years ago, Slackaman was slicing turkey. Now he's among the most popular names in all of college football recruiting. It's a journey that Slackman can only describe as unique.

Get football and recruiting scoop on your favorite college team for $1 for first month.

"I'm not a normal football recruit," Slackman said. "Unique in every sense of the word."

Duke defensive lineman Aeneas Peebles enters transfer portal

Peebles will become one of the most sought after graduate transfers in the country following his decision to enter the portal.

John WatsonNov 27th, 3:17 PM

The fallout from Duke Football's unexpected coaching change continued on Monday as one of the program's defensive cornerstones announced his intention to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Senior defensive tackle Aeneas Peebles announced his intention to enter the portal and to play out his final year of eligibility elsewhere.

Peebles will enter as a graduate transfer and will immediately become one of the most sought after defensive linemen in the country.

In 2023 Peebles appeared in all 12 of Duke's games, logging 40 tackles and 4.0 sacks with one forced fumble. He also added four quarterback hurries and two pass break-ups. Over the course of his career the 6-foot-1, 286 pound Raleigh (NC) native appeared in 47 games, compiling 84 tackles.

His best game of the year came against Connecticut in September when Peebles recorded four tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks as the Blue Devils won a fourth straight game to open the season.

Out of high school Peebles was rated as a three star prospect and the No.33 defensive tackle in the country according to the 247Sports.com rankings. He chose Duke over offers from a slew of programs following an upperclassman campaign at Knightdale High School in which he recorded 195 tackles, 27 sacks, 20 QB hurries, and two blocked field goals over final two seasons while taking home the state's 2019 Defensive 4A Player of the Year honor as a senior.

Following Mike Elko's midnight decision to take the Texas A&M job, Blue Devil athletic director Nina King addressed the media on Monday, stating the program would move forward under the leadership of interim head coach Trooper Taylor while simultaneously conducting a national search for the next full time head coach.

Following the midnight departure of former Duke head coach Mike Elko, Duke has now lost two known players as Peebles joins second year defensive back Jaden Watkins in the portal less than a day after Elko's resignation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

Duke defensive lineman Aeneas Peebles enters transfer portal

Peebles will become one of the most sought after graduate transfers in the country following his decision to enter the portal.

John WatsonNov 27th, 3:17 PM

The fallout from Duke Football's unexpected coaching change continued on Monday as one of the program's defensive cornerstones announced his intention to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Senior defensive tackle Aeneas Peebles announced his intention to enter the portal and to play out his final year of eligibility elsewhere.

Peebles will enter as a graduate transfer and will immediately become one of the most sought after defensive linemen in the country.

In 2023 Peebles appeared in all 12 of Duke's games, logging 40 tackles and 4.0 sacks with one forced fumble. He also added four quarterback hurries and two pass break-ups. Over the course of his career the 6-foot-1, 286 pound Raleigh (NC) native appeared in 47 games, compiling 84 tackles.

His best game of the year came against Connecticut in September when Peebles recorded four tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks as the Blue Devils won a fourth straight game to open the season.

Out of high school Peebles was rated as a three star prospect and the No.33 defensive tackle in the country according to the 247Sports.com rankings. He chose Duke over offers from a slew of programs following an upperclassman campaign at Knightdale High School in which he recorded 195 tackles, 27 sacks, 20 QB hurries, and two blocked field goals over final two seasons while taking home the state's 2019 Defensive 4A Player of the Year honor as a senior.

Following Mike Elko's midnight decision to take the Texas A&M job, Blue Devil athletic director Nina King addressed the media on Monday, stating the program would move forward under the leadership of interim head coach Trooper Taylor while simultaneously conducting a national search for the next full time head coach.

Following the midnight departure of former Duke head coach Mike Elko, Duke has now lost two known players as Peebles joins second year defensive back Jaden Watkins in the portal less than a day after Elko's resignation.

Sounds like he needs to be on our radar if he's not already. I didn't realize Trooper was at Duke now. Talk about a blast from the past.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2023 at 9:25 PM, W.E.D said:

We don't have any yet on campus that are developable

We have Bo Jackson and Charles Barkley’s love child.

Jackson Barkley has potential I tell ya.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Paladin said:

He’s already picked up offers from the likes of Clemson and Penn St as well. Must be really good. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 9:58 AM, W.E.D said:

Our OL isn't that bad.  Lots of sacks on the QB

Ok, I'll just have to disagree. The numbness of how awful the OL has been prior to this year may have made this year seem like they weren't bad but they weren't good. I could buy into improved or better but that's just my opinion.

• Like 3

image.png

South Carolina WR Antwane Wells plans to enter NCAA Transfer Portal

South Carolina wide receiver Antwane Wells plans to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal as a graduate transfer.

Alex Jones114 mins

South Carolina wide receiver Antwane Wells plans to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal as a graduate transfer, according to a report from TheBigSpur’s JC Shurburtt on Thursday morning.

Wells missed a majority of the 2023 season after suffering a foot injury during preseason and only played in three games. In those three games, Wells caught three passes for 37 yards and one touchdown.

Wells was coming off a strong 2022 season where he tallied 928 yards and six touchdowns on 68 passes in 13 games played. For his performance, Wells was a first team All-SEC selection by the coaches and a second team selection by the AP. The 2022 season was Wells first year with South Carolina after transferring from James Madison.

Here’s more on Wells from his profile on Gamecocksonline.

2022 (Junior)
Named First-Team All-SEC by the SEC Coaches, PFF and Phil Steele… earned Second Team All-SEC honors from the Associated Press… was a Phil Steele honorable mention All-American… named the Steve Spurrier Offensive MVP Award winner… Gamecocks’ top receiver with 68 catches for 928 yards and six touchdowns… had more catches and receiving yards than the next two receivers combined… ranked third in the SEC with 5.23 receptions per game and fourth with 71.38 receiving yards per game… his 68 receptions and 928 receiving yards both ranked as the eighth-best single-season marks in school history… recorded four 100-yard receiving games, including three in the last four regular season games… led all SEC players with 555 yards after the catch…named the East-West Shrine Bowl Breakout Offensive Player of the Week at Arkansas after hauling in eight catches for a career-high 189 yards – tying for the 10th-most receiving yards in a single game in program history… logged four catches for 110 yards and two touchdowns against Vanderbilt… put together a career performance in the upset win over Tennessee, corralling a career-high 11 receptions for 177 yards… scored the first rushing touchdown of his career in the win… hauled in nine of his 11 targets for 131 yards and two touchdowns, including a season-long touchdown reception of 72 yards, in the win at Clemson… combined for 20 receptions, 308 yards and two touchdowns in the last two regular season games against Tennessee and Clemson.

2021 (Sophomore)
Started all 14 games at wide receiver… earned FCS second-team All-America honors from Stats Perform and HERO Sports… also named a HERO Sports FCS Freshman All-American for the second time… Phil Steele listed him on the FCS fourth-team All-America and Freshman All-America lists… earned first-team All-CAA honors for the Dukes… named the VaSID University Division Offensive Rookie of the Year and first-team all-state… logged 83 receptions for 1,250 yards and 15 touchdowns… tied the JMU single-season record for receptions and set the record for single-season receiving yards and receiving touchdowns… led the country in receiving touchdowns while ranking 10th in the FCS in total touchdowns, 16th in receiving yards per game (89.3) and 18th in receptions per game (5.9)… tallied six games of at least 100 receiving yards and eight games of at least 75… scored two or more touchdowns in five games… reeled in five or more catches in 10 games… had four catches of at least 40 yards… was the CAA Offensive Player of the Week after his performance against Maine in which he caught eight passes for a career-high 179 yards with two touchdowns, including a career-long 73-yard reception… added eight catches and two scores the following week against Weber State… posted six catches for 125 yards at Richmond… collected eight receptions for 114 yards and two TDs against Elon… had a career-high nine receptions for 134 yards against William & Mary and came back the following week with nine receptions for 107 yards and a career-high three touchdowns against Towson… had six catches for 123 yards and three scores in the FCS second round playoff matchup with Southeastern Louisiana… helped JMU to a 12-2 overall record, including a 7-1 mark in the CAA… the Dukes reached the FCS semifinals where they were eliminated by eventual national champion North Dakota State.

2020 (Freshman)
Played in all eight games, making four starts during the 2020 FCS season that was played in the spring of 2021… the Dukes went 7-1 and reached the FCS semifinals where they were eliminated by eventual national champion Sam Houston State… named a HERO Sports FCS Freshman All-American… was on the VaSID first-team all-state squad… caught 33 passes for 603 yards with six touchdowns, leading the Dukes in all three categories… averaged 18.3-yards per catch… ranked ninth nationally and led the CAA in receiving touchdowns… also ranked 26th in the FCS and led the league in yards per reception… was 32nd in country and second in CAA in receiving yards per game (75.4) and eighth in CAA in receptions per contest (4.1)… turned in two 100-yard games, including a season-high 143 receiving yards and two touchdowns on seven catches in FCS quarterfinals vs. North Dakota… had first career 100-yard game in FCS First Round with four receptions for 132 yards and a score vs. VMI… had 92 yards on four catches vs. Richmond… tallied a season-long 63-yard touchdown vs. UND… had three catches of at least 50 yards… scored first career touchdown vs. Robert Morris… tallied four or more catches in five games… had at least 85 receiving yards in five games… earned a spot on the CAA Football Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll.

• Like 1

On3 made a point that a lot of guys will wait till that Dec 4 portal window to open.  They also said that a lot of the guys announcing early aren’t players Auburn would be interested in.  They also said that Auburn already had visits set up with a couple of guys.  Who knows 

2 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

Is it possible that it could be ghost accounts posing as Auburn fans?  I wouldn’t put it past some of the opposing fan bases. 

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Is it possible that it could be ghost accounts posing as Auburn fans?  I wouldn’t put it past some of the opposing fan bases. I’m 

It would make no sense for Auburn fans to do that. It would make sense for a fan of another school recruiting him to do that, or just Auburn haters.

• Like 1