2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Also not necesailly with Bama and FSU. They have 5* QBs coming in.

Saban and Norvell probably have an idea if they can play next year. Who knows. I just know they will probably want this Pratt kid to an extent if he does enter the portal.

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Also not necesailly with Bama and FSU. They have 5* QBs coming in.

And Tennessee and USC each have 5* QBs sitting on the bench….really don’t see them needing to bring in a transfer either. 

UT will have Iamaleava and USC has Malachi Nelson.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, woodford said:

Not necessarily coaches, but I would bet those teams I listed all have better offensive line talent in 2024 than we do. Yeah, we could end up with multiple 5* WRs in the 24 class, but I'm still worried about the consistent OL play going forward. We'll see what they can scrape together in the portal.

Exactly.  All of those teams are built better and ready for a 1 year transfer QB.  It's a nice have, but people are really overselling the idea of 1 or 2 5* TrFr guys as being a massive selling point for a Grad Transfer

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

but people are really overselling the idea of 1 or 2 5* TrFr guys as being a massive selling point for a Grad Transfer

Not what I was saying or implying FWIW. I was saying because those teams have 5*s they may not go portal QB shopping.

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not what I was saying or implying FWIW. I was saying because those teams have 5*s they may not go portal QB shopping.

Okay?  If you are talking about QBs elsewhere then my general statement talking about ppl overstating TrFr WRs wasn't about you.

On 11/2/2023 at 3:42 PM, ellitor said:

@woodford So you think all of those teams have coaches better with QBs than we do or will? At the very least I would take Freeze & Austin before Bama's coaches. Also depending how this class & portal work out, WRs could go from a weakness to a strength for us.

Maybe do, maybe they don't. What teams like Bama do have is a consistent record of proven success with money. We have potential with money. We will see how it all plays out. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Anyone heard that Ty Simpson may want to transfer to us?

@Tigger1985 No & not sure we would want him with other guys we are likely targeting.

Yeah Simpson and Buchner both looked like flaming hot trash against USF. And it looked like neither had what it took to be competitive while Milroe was still learning the ropes. If they struggled that bad under Saban with luxury of their program, coaches, all the skill players, and high-rated players that Bama has, then chances are they won’t be successful anywhere until they go somewhere where the competition level is considerably lower. 

8 minutes ago, woodford said:

When does the portal open for guys to sign to enroll in the Spring?

When Can Athletes Enter the Transfer Portal?

Any athlete wanting to enter their name into the transfer portal must give notice to the NCAA. While athletes can announce their intentions to transfer at any time, undergraduate transfer portal athletes won’t be officially announced in the portal until the academic season’s window opens.

Those transfer portal windows are listed here:

2023 Fall College Football Transfer Portal Window

FBS Football
Opens: Monday, December 4, 2023
Closes: Wednesday, January 17, 2024

FCS Football
Opens: Monday, November 20, 2023
Closes: Thursday, January 4, 2024

2023 Spring College Football Transfer Portal Window

Opens: Monday, April 15, 2024
Closes: Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Source

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Tulane QB Pratt has accepted invite to participate in Senior Bowl….so assume he is out for the college folks. 

@TigerPAC Can't find definitive proof but pretty sure he can be in the game & stay in college now.

56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Believe I heard it somewhere recently.

Underclassmen can participate but I can’t find anything definitive on whether or not that impacts their college eligibility afterwards. It does state they have until January 15 to declare for the draft so it sounds like they can participate in the all star games then decide to return to college. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-to-allow-college-all-star-game-participation-for-draft-eligible-underclassme#:~:text=The NFL has informed all,reported on Wednesday%2C citing sources.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Underclassmen can participate but I can’t find anything definitive on whether or not that impacts their college eligibility afterwards. It does state they have until January 15 to declare for the draft so it sounds like they can participate in the all star games then decide to return to college. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-to-allow-college-all-star-game-participation-for-draft-eligible-underclassme#:~:text=The NFL has informed all,reported on Wednesday%2C citing sources.

Participants get paid to play in the Senior Bowl. College players are supposed to be amateurs. I'd like to see something that says they can outright get paid for playing football and still return to amateur status. Legally, NIL money is in a different category.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who are we targeting 

You know you’re going to have to go through an act of congress to get him to answer that question. 

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

@TigerPAC Can't find definitive proof but pretty sure he can be in the game & stay in college now.

I don’t think they can. They get paid to olay in Senior Bowl and has nothing to do with NIL.

6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You know you’re going to have to go through an act of congress to get him to answer that question. 

I answered. Just no names. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Will these be guys we could get so they can go thru spring practice?

Sure as hell hope the staff has learned from last year & make it a priority to get that done.

• Like 2