2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

22 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

lacy is a gamer and baller but he is small/short

Here is a good article on Lacy. He makes explosive plays from the receiver position, something Auburn is struggling with.

South Alabama’s Caullin Lacy ‘really good at football, that’s for sure’

Published: Oct. 16, 2023, 10:35 a.m.

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com

Caullin Lacy is on a roll rarely seen anywhere, and certainly not at South Alabama.

The junior wide receiver has totaled a school-record five straight 100-yard games, a streak he’ll try to keep alive when the Jaguars (3-3, 1-1 Sun Belt Conference) host Southern Miss (1-5, 0-3) on Tuesday night at Hancock Whitney Stadium. South Alabama coach Kane Wommack expects the Golden Eagles to go all out to slow down Lacy, which few opponents have been able to do this season.

“When you look at game-planning for us, Caullin Lacy has to be a piece of what you’re trying to take away,” Wommack said. “And he continues to make plays, which is really awesome. … Caullin is so consistent and he’s in the right place so often, that he allows himself to be able to make a play, and then obviously make yards after catch. That’s what’s been really impressive about him. He’s just relentless in his consistency right now.”

After getting held relatively in check by Tulane (7 receptions, 60 yards) in the 2023 season-opener, Lacy has rolled off totals of 139, 104, 132, 132 and 156 yards in his last five games. He’s scored touchdowns in four of six games, twice in two of them.

In six games this season, Lacy has caught 39 passes for 723 yards and six touchdowns, an average of 120.5 yards per game and 18.5 yards per catch. Those numbers have put him in elite company nationally.

Lacy’s receiving yardage total is fourth among FBS players, behind only LSU’s Malik Nabers (860), Missouri’s Luther Burden (808) and Washington’s Rome Odunze (736). Nabers and Burden have played one more game than Lacy, however.

Caullin Lacy’s 2023 game-by-game stats

Opponent Rec Yards TD

at Tulane 7 60 0

SE Louisiana 8 139 1

at Oklahoma State 5 104 2

Central Michigan 6 132 2

at James Madison 6 132 0

at Louisiana-Monroe 7 156 1

Total 39 723 6

In receiving yards per game, he’s behind just Nabers (122.9) and Odunze (122.7). And of FBS players with more than 35 receptions this season, only South Carolina’s Xavier Legette has a higher yards-per-catch average (19.3).

Of Lacy’s six touchdowns this season, none have been cheapies. All have been what coaches term “explosive” plays, covering 35, 39, 44, 57, 72 and a school-record 84 yards vs. Southeastern Louisiana in Week 2.

“He’s really good at football, that’s for sure,” quarterback Carter Bradley said. “He stepped up into a huge role. … Caullin’s done an unbelievable job of taking that ‘Wide Receiver 1′ role and he’s helping that room tremendously. I can’t be more proud of him.”

Lacy’s development has been even more impressive — and more necessary — given the circumstances. He joined with Jalen Wayne and Devin Voisin in 2022 to form a highly productive receiver trio for the Jaguars, a group that totaled 187 receptions, 2,502 yards and 20 touchdowns as South Alabama went 10-3.

Wayne graduated, but Lacy and Voisin returned this year to form arguably the top receiving duo in the Sun Belt Conference. That changed in Week 2, however, as Voisin was lost with a season-ending knee injury.

“You graduate one, you lose one to injury, then suddenly one of your top three guys is remaining three games into the season. So that’s a shock,” offensive coordinator Major Applewhite said. “For Caullin to continue to produce that way, week-in and week-out, has been phenomenal and it’s something our offense needs. When you put the ball in 4′s hands, he makes plays.”

Said Lacy, “I’m just trying to take in what I can, try to do what I can. I really just want to step up for the team and play big, do what I can, what I’m supposed to do. I don’t want to change who I am. I just want to keep doing what I’m doing.”

The 5-foot-10, 190-pound Lacy came to South Alabama from just across town at Faith Academy, where he was a three-sport standout for the Rams. He was an all-state performer at running back, totaling 1,842 yards and 23 touchdowns as a senior.

Lacy had limited experience catching the football, however, something he struggled with initially when moved to receiver as a freshman at South Alabama in 2020. Nevertheless, he has blossomed into one of the best in the conference and in program history, with 155 receptions, 1,924 yards and 11 touchdowns in 3 ½ seasons.

Lacy credits wide receivers coach Michael Smith, a former All-American at Kansas State, with his development. Smith joined the Jaguars along with Wommack’s staff in 2021.

“I was just trying to get on the field (as a freshman), and I knew I had to get better as a receiver,” Lacy said. “My first year was really rough, because I didn’t know how receiver really worked, how to run routes. But when Coach Smith got here, I felt like a whole other person, because I was learning from a pro. I just learned from him and I’m still learning every day.”

Lacy is on the Watch List for the 2024 Reese’s Senior Bowl, so it’s possible this could be his last season at South Alabama even though he is eligible to return for a fifth year thanks to the COVID waiver granted all players for 2020. He is second in school history in receptions (behind Jalen Tolbert) and third in yardage (behind Tolbert and Wayne), and could hold both records by the time he’s done in college.

Lacy has been able to model pieces of his game after some of the top players in South Alabama history, who also happened to play his position. In addition to Wayne and Voisin, he said he’s been influenced by former Jaguars (and eventual NFL draft picks) Tolbert and Kawaan Baker.

“I took a lot from those guys,” Lacy said. “KB (Baker) was a big, strong receiver, ran good routes. Tolbert, I learned from his hands and his feet. I just learned from all of them.”

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gctiger said:

Is it possible that it could be ghost accounts posing as Auburn fans?  I wouldn’t put it past some of the opposing fan bases. 

@gctiger Charlie5 is real. He's on some AU podcasts sometimes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paladin said:

Wow 91 catches. Had 65 in 2022

Played at Faith Academy in Mobile.

had a ton of great performances for me in fantasy. I'm biased in terms of life experiences and locale, but alot of those Mobile dudes have a real chip on their shoulder

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paladin said:

He’s going to be a much wealthier college student very soon. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

He’s going to be a much wealthier college student very soon. 

IDK. A&M supposedly gave him a great NIL deal.

51 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Walter Nolen, anyone?

Would love to have him, but so will everyone else. Big time bidding war I bet.  

Potential contenders for Walter Nolen, the top-ranked player in the 247Sports Transfer Portal

247Sports caught up with the Nolen camp early Monday morning, the first day the NCAA Transfer Portal was officially open.

Steve Wiltfong21 mins

The No. 1 ranked prospect in the 247Sports Transfer Portal is Texas A&M defensive lineman Walter Nolen, who on Sunday night announced that was the direction he was headed.

Nolen made the announcement shortly after it became public that defensive line coach and co-defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson was moving on to Syracuse to join Fran Brown and that new staff.

“You think he was Coach E’s son the way they vibed with each other,” Nolen’s father Walter said.

New head coach Mike Elko and the Aggies remain in the picture moving forward for Nolen who will see what else is out there.

“Most definitely,” the elder Nolen said. “That was home. That is home. I think part of it is, nothing is really set in stone at A&M. They don’t know exactly what they’re good do. They haven’t announced an OC, they haven’t announced a DC. They have Elko, that was a great hire if you ask my opinion.”

Tennessee was the runner-up for Nolen when he committed to the Aggies as the nation’s No. 2 prospect back in the 2022 cycle. Michigan was also strong in there. Both could be contenders again this time around, particularly the Vols. We'll see if the Wolverines circle back.

“Iron sharpens iron,” the elder Nolen said. “He wants to play with kids that are going to make him better. That’s going to be a big part of it.”

Nolen hasn't officially gone in the portal yet. His family is expected to meet with Elko on Monday and we'll see what happens beyond that.

“I can say the ones that previously had a chance,” Walter Sr. said. “I don’t want to say every SEC school but quite a few SEC schools. Some College Football Playoff .”

Georgia, LSU, Oregon and Texas figure to be a few of the others that take a swing at Nolen.

"I don't know who he like right now," Walter Sr. said. "I didn't want to go into detail with him. My main question was are you sure, are you sure. He said 'yeah.'"

In two seasons with the Aggies, Nolen certainly flashed his potential. Across 12 games this season, he recorded 37 tackles, 8.5 tackles for a loss and four sacks. Nolen impressed as a true freshman as well, totaling 29 tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss and one sack across 10 games in 2022.

image.png

Michigan State Starting Defensive Lineman Entering Transfer Portal

This is going to continue until the dust settles...

Matthew Lounsberry

Nov 29, 2023 2:20 PM EST

Michigan State's football roster continues to be gutted by the NCAA transfer portal as the Spartans transition to a new era under head coach Jonathan Smith. Players recruited to East Lansing by previous coaching staffs, with no ties to Smith or the coaches he'll hire as assistants, are weighing their options in how and where to continue their college careers.

On Wednesday, one of Michigan State's top defensive players decided he would test the waters of outside interest. Redshirt sophomore and Detroit native Derrick Harmon is the latest Spartans to enter the transfer portal, announcing his decision on social media this afternoon.

"First and foremost, I want to thank God for allowing me to play the game I've loved since I was a child," Harmon wrote in his post. "Next, I want to thank my paretns for their support and assistance throughout this journey. I'd like to thank my teammates, y'all my brothers for life. I'd like to thank Coach [Mel] Tucker for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to play at this level in my home state. Next, I'd want to thank the Michigan State fans! You have shown nothing but love and appreciation!!! With that being said, I will be entering the transfer portal."

Harmon appeared in 28 games with 17 starts during his three-year Michigan State career, including all 12 this past season. The redshirt sophomore recorded 71 tackles, including 6.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks, as well as two pass deflections, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. Harmon has been one of the Spartans' best defensive players of the last two seasons, and he has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

image.png

Vanderbilt football defensive end Nate Clifton to enter transfer portal

Aria Gerson

Nashville Tennessean

Vanderbilt football defensive end Nate Clifton is entering the transfer portal, he announced on Instagram on Wednesday.

"I would like to thank God and Vanderbilt University for blessing me with the opportunity to do what I love over the past 5 years," Clifton said in a statement. "I want to thank Coach Derek Mason for giving me the chance to play in my hometown in front of friends and family. Next, I would like to thank Coach Clark Lea for helping me grow as a player as well as taking part in shaping the man I am today. Lastly, I want to thank my teammates, my loved ones and all of the Vandy fans for the constant love and support over the years."

Clifton appeared in 43 games over five seasons at Vanderbilt, with 37 starts. In 2023 he led the team with 5.5 sacks, also putting up 7.5 tackles for loss, 30 total tackles and an interception. That was a vast improvement after recording five tackles for loss and two sacks from 2020-22. He is the second team captain from 2023 to enter the portal after linebacker Ethan Barr.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

For y'all's comedic relief. My mind when trying to keep the portal threads organized.

We appreciate you, E.  This place would be lost with out you and your OCD. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1