2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who all has offered him?

Per his X, Cincinnati, Illinois, USC, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Central Florida, Arizona State, Memphis and other have offered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Per his X, Cincinnati, Illinois, USC, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Central Florida, Arizona State, Memphis and other have offered.

I just don't get it. Hugh goes toe to toe against the big boys for high school recruits. Why not the portal.... It's still early maybe he can land some big time transfers 

On 10/8/2023 at 3:46 PM, CR said:

I would see those two leaving as a positive at the QB position. If HG cant see the field after watching Thorne and Ashford that says a lot about his future. No way Id go into next season with Thorne as my presumed starter. Id be happy to keep Brown, bring Walker in and hit the portal again. Other than Fair maybe, Id say the same about WR. I hoped for average play from the QB and WR groups(maybe) and theyre not even close.

I think Geriner could be good, but isn’t the right fit for this offense. He was very much recruited to play in Harsin’s multiple/ pro style scheme. These quick reads and QB runs aren’t really his forte, and I think that’s holding him back. If so, everyone wins by him going to another program. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

I too am a little shaken about the G5 guys. Vandy guys played at the SEC level so not tripping over them. Just hope these guys don’t get signed and then are never heard from again 

That's fair.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I just don't get it. Hugh goes toe to toe against the big boys for high school recruits. Why not the portal.... It's still early maybe he can land some big time transfers 

"Big time guys" don't necessarily mean better guys, especially for inflated NIL price tags in a good number of cases.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

I do, but I don't know that I would agree that Vandy players are them. 

Probably was the best they felt they could land that filled the needs we had.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

"Big time guys" don't necessarily mean better guys, especially for inflated NIL price tags in a good number of cases.

That sounds like a quote from The Book of Harsin.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Are you ever wrong? LOL 

Lol.  Quite often & I've never claimed to be always right. We are just having a civil difference of opnion. IDC who is right. We will know one way or the other next year. PT will either ball out & Hugh will be right, or he wob't & you'll be right, or we get another QB who does well as QB1 & you're right again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That sounds like a quote from The Book of Harsin.

If anything, it's more akin to Billy Bean's As moneyball system.

10 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Other than Vandy

Our competition for the Vandy WR Sheppard is Texas A&M, Ole Miss, State, USCe, and Minnesota (so far)

If we want London Humphreys, which we apparently have reached out to, we will have to fight Georgia for him….he’s a Ladd McConkey type receiver…and his dad is a former AU all American track star.

But sure let’s just let them have those two since they are just “Vandy” players.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Our competition for the Vandy WR Sheppard is Texas A&M, Ole Miss, State, USCe, and Minnesota (so far)

If we want London Humphreys, which we apparently have reached out to, we will have to fight Georgia for him….he’s a Ladd McConkey type receiver…and his dad is a former AU all American track star.

But sure let’s just let them have those two since they are just “Vandy” players.  

Yep Vandy  cranks out them All Americans like nobody's business.  Nothing wrong with taking transfers from other SEC schools other than Vandy. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yep Vandy  cranks out them All Americans like nobody's business.  Nothing wrong with taking transfers from other SEC schools other than Vandy. 

Funny you said that, because Sheppard in fact is an All American.  

I bet you would have complained if we took Cam Ward from Incarnate Word a couple of years ago too…because it was just little lowly Incarnate Word he was playing at so he can’t be talented right? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Funny you said that, because Sheppard in fact is an All American.  

I bet you would have complained if we took Cam Ward from Incarnate Word a couple of years ago too…because it was just little lowly Incarnate Word he was playing at so he can’t be talented right? 

My point is fairly simple. We go after the Rolls-Royce of high school players. Coleman,  Thompson. Bolden etc. There is plenty of players in the portal who have proven they can play high level P5 ball. Let's go after them. Instead of unproven guys like the one from Bucknell or Shorter College. Sure u can maybe find a diamond in the rough. But if u have seen them play against P5 competition week in and out the chances of striking out are greatly reduced

Edited by NWALA Tiger

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup. Since he's from Bucknell it means he sucks.

Champ Anthony was a last second pick up from Tyler Junior College and played a good bit this year and played pretty well. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Champ Anthony was a last second pick up from Tyler Junior College and played a good bit this year and played pretty well. 

Last year Freeze had to take whoever he could get because of the circumstances.  I just look forward to the day that we have stacked high school classes and can cherry pick the portal. Like Bama, GA, OH St etc. I think we will get there in a couple yrs.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Last year Freeze had to take whoever he could get because of the circumstances.  I just look forward to the day that we have stacked high school classes and can cherry pick the portal. Like Bama, GA, OH St etc. I think we will get there in a couple yrs.

I agree completely 

• Like 2