It's official: AU #1 in state

quietfan

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde...1440.xml&coll=2

Crimson and blue divide

More than 91,000 Alabamians display their loyalties on the backs of their vehicles with collegiate license plates. Using the tags as a barometer, the divide is nearly evenly split between the state's two sports giants, with Auburn taking a slight lead with 34,634 versus 33,740 for Alabama.

Revenue from Auburn's tag program rose from $204,000 in 1988 to $1.66 million from October 2003 through September 2004.

The University of Alabama earned $1.61 million from tag sales in that same period. It has received more than $14.4 million since the program's inception.

Of course, we already knew we were better. Now we have numbers to show that more of the state's population is willing to proclaim that on their car tags. Let's keep the margin growing!

[The article does say that Bama leads in number of counties buying Bama tags. Since we lead in numbers of people, that tells me that more of their supporters live in rural/farm counties--so who really deserves the nickname "Barners"?]

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde...1440.xml&coll=2
Crimson and blue divide

More than 91,000 Alabamians display their loyalties on the backs of their vehicles with collegiate license plates. Using the tags as a barometer, the divide is nearly evenly split between the state's two sports giants, with Auburn taking a slight lead with 34,634 versus 33,740 for Alabama.

Revenue from Auburn's tag program rose from $204,000 in 1988 to $1.66 million from October 2003 through September 2004.

The University of Alabama earned $1.61 million from tag sales in that same period. It has received more than $14.4 million since the program's inception.

Of course, we already knew we were better. Now we have numbers to show that more of the state's population is willing to proclaim that on their car tags. Let's keep the margin growing!

[The article does say that Bama leads in number of counties buying Bama tags. Since we lead in numbers of people, that tells me that more of their supporters live in rural/farm counties--so who really deserves the nickname "Barners"?]

176649[/snapback]

bama leads in those counties with a high ratio of trailors per capita where most folks don't even know where Tuskalooser is and a lot of them don't have tags of any kind :big:

man you guys are slipping.

you should have said something like:"we know there are probably more bama fans, but since these tags cost extra MONEY, there's no surprise who would be in the lead"

:sigh:

Then again, maybe its just that bama fans arent as over zealous about putting team crap all over their cars like you guys.

Or better yet, maybe its because when you're driving BMWs, Mercedes, etc...you dont want to dress it up with team gear...but when you are driving your 74 Gremlin, a team tag will only make it better. ;)

Or better yet, maybe its because when you're driving BMWs, Mercedes, etc...you dont want to dress it up with team gear...but when you are driving your 74 Gremlin, a team tag will only make it better. wink.gif

haha, thanks BG -- I almost had to buy a new monitor because of you, but thanks for the laugh!

you should have said something like:"we know there are probably more bama fans, but since these tags cost extra MONEY, there's no surprise who would be in the lead"

:sigh:

Then again, maybe its just that bama fans arent as over zealous about putting team crap all over their cars like you guys.

Or better yet, maybe its because when you're driving BMWs, Mercedes, etc...you dont want to dress it up with team gear...but when you are driving your 74 Gremlin, a team tag will only make it better.  ;)

176654[/snapback]

Pretty funny BG, but for those of us 20 years or more older than you, this turnabout seemed VERY unlikely when we were growing up. When I was a kid, the AU fans and the cars with AU "gear" were in a decided minority-- always superior, of course, but far fewer. ;)

I can honestly understand Auburn fans that are of the generation of my parents being excited about this news. As those fans were always comparing themselves, their loyalties, etc. to one thing -- BAMA.

As for me and my large circle of AU alumni, fans, etc., we tend to compare AU in a regional or national base...not just with BAMA. I could care less how many tags, merchandise, tickets, etc. that BAMA sells, as it won't change my decision to purchase and support AU.

To me, that is the biggest difference in fans that are my age (20-30) and the generation before us. I can't say that I blame them, but it is a different mindset altogether....

WAR EAGLE!

I can honestly understand Auburn fans that are of the generation of my parents being excited about this news.  As those fans were always comparing themselves, their loyalties, etc. to one thing -- BAMA.

As for me and my large circle of AU alumni, fans, etc., we tend to compare AU in a regional or national base...not just with BAMA.  I could care less how many tags, merchandise, tickets, etc. that BAMA sells, as it won't change my decision to purchase and support AU.

To me, that is the biggest difference in fans that are my age (20-30) and the generation before us.  I can't say that I blame them, but it is a different mindset altogether....

WAR EAGLE!

176662[/snapback]

I think you misunderstand your "elders." At least me, anyway. I've always compared AU regionally and nationally and have always thought it was the best University. But Bama had the "bandwagon" fans and now it appears AU does. That seemed very unlikely years ago. Doesn't mean much, except that things change, but it is a noticeable difference.

176654[/snapback]

Oh, BG, you shouldn't have gone there. Just a few years back...somebody, maybe Vandy...I forget...did a University study which said that the more affluent one was, in our state, the more likely one was to be an Auburn fan, rather than a Bamar fan. So POO POO ! :big:

:au::homer:

I can honestly understand Auburn fans that are of the generation of my parents being excited about this news.  As those fans were always comparing themselves, their loyalties, etc. to one thing -- BAMA.

As for me and my large circle of AU alumni, fans, etc., we tend to compare AU in a regional or national base...not just with BAMA.  I could care less how many tags, merchandise, tickets, etc. that BAMA sells, as it won't change my decision to purchase and support AU.

To me, that is the biggest difference in fans that are my age (20-30) and the generation before us.  I can't say that I blame them, but it is a different mindset altogether....

WAR EAGLE!

176662[/snapback]

Actually, I'm very happy to hear you say that. I'm looking forward to the day when, as I'm rocking in my nursing home chair, only a few old fossils my age will bombard me with ancient history like Bama's MNC's, Rose Bowls before my birth, and the legendary Mr. Bryant. Glad to hear all that is becoming lost in the mists of time to you.

Or better yet, maybe its because when you're driving BMWs, Mercedes, etc...you dont want to dress it up with team gear...but when you are driving your 74 Gremlin, a team tag will only make it better.  ;)

176654[/snapback]

I know a lot of BMW drivers that are not BMW owners. Used to work for a BMW dealer. Very few BMW DRIVERS are ever OWNERS. :big:

I think folks that have their identity tied to their car, or to a football team that they have no connection to, well that is just pathetic.

1974 Gremlin? I bet somewhere in the world there is a classic car collector looking for one now.... :big:

gremlin-premier.jpg

As for me, I would rather OWN the car I drive rather than DRIVE a car I owe my life on. Wannabe and myself OWN all our cars.

I think you just cant see all the bama tags because its always covered up with "#3" stickers all over the place :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major

176654[/snapback]

I have always heard that an expensive car is compensation for shortcomings in other areas of a person's masculinity. Any truth to that theory, BG?

I've always noticed more AU tags than spuat tags. Though I've started to notice more and more bama tags lately. But I actually agree with BGs first statement. There are still atleast twice as many bama fans than AU fans.

Just wait a year or two when all of those bandwagon fans don't renew. ;) This will go away as fast or faster than Pogs.

176661[/snapback]

I hate to tell ya but most Auburn folks don't take them off. We wear our stuff with pride, not just whem we win. Au contraire, even unbiased fols notice full well that a lot of bama stuff disappears when ya'll lose.

176654[/snapback]

I have always heard that an expensive car is compensation for shortcomings in other areas of a person's masculinity. Any truth to that theory, BG?

176719[/snapback]

Expensive cars are also used for other types of compensation. Wonder if BG played FB at bama? :big:

Just wait a year or two when all of those bandwagon fans don't renew. ;) This will go away as fast or faster than Pogs.

176661[/snapback]

I hate to tell ya but most Auburn folks don't take them off. We wear our stuff with pride, not just whem we win. Au contraire, even unbiased fols notice full well that a lot of bama stuff disappears when ya'll lose.

176724[/snapback]

That USED to be how it was. AU had a good year, thus the fair weather fans are trying to show off. Just wait for a regular season or two to pass. Everything will be back to normal, and only the hardcore will have their tags.

I've always noticed more AU tags than spuat tags. Though I've started to notice more and more bama tags lately. But I actually agree with BGs first statement. There are still atleast twice as many bama fans than AU fans.

176720[/snapback]

Well those Wal-Mart, McD's, Taco Hell Salaries dont let you have money for a vanity plate. That is how more fans/=more tag sales. Besides, buying all that #3 stuff has all their money already spent too. :big:

And BG, I didnt say :ua: grads had those jobs, I was talking about the Bama sidewalkers.

Does anyone know why almost all the alabama tags start with "APR" or "APN", and most of the Auburn tags are personalized? APN i guess might be Alabama plate number, no clue on APR, or why so few of the bama tags are personalized.

Does anyone know why almost all the alabama tags start with "APR" or "APN", and most of the Auburn tags are personalized? APN i guess might be Alabama plate number, no clue on APR, or why so few of the bama tags are personalized.

176746[/snapback]

I thought they all started UA****. Then again, I haven't had a non-personalized one since the last edition of plates. Why anyone wouldn't personalize it is beyond me (not just AU/UA, but all vanity plates). I mean, it's nothing extra after the vanity tag that I can remember.

176746[/snapback]

Alabama's Prototypical Rednecks

Alabama's Prized Nitwits

uaters have no need of purchasing "car tags". When they register their pick up truck with the DMV, they are issued a "toll ride" sticker, already stained with redman. :D:poke:

I am afraid the numbers are a little sqewed since you cannot buy a colligiate tag for a John Deer.

I thought they all started UA****. Then again, I haven't had a non-personalized one since the last edition of plates. Why anyone wouldn't personalize it is beyond me (not just AU/UA, but all vanity plates). I mean, it's nothing extra after the vanity tag that I can remember.

176762[/snapback]

I've often wondered why anyone wouldn't personalize their tag as well. Like you said there's no extra charge.

Archived