House Speaker -- help me understand

LPTiger

The old speaker bucks a few (4 or 5) radicals in his party and doesn't shut down the government.

In response those radicals try to kick him out and every single democrat votes for his ouster.

The republicans trot out Scalise and no democrat will commit to vote for him.

The republicans fall back to Jordan and today not a single democrat votes for him.

At every turn the democrats blame republicans 100% for the ouster and the failure to have a speaker when the world is close to falling apart.

I'm embarrassed by the fact that the republicans have radicals and can't find someone everyone will support.

Are any democrats embarassed by the fact that every single democrat voted for Jeffries knowing full well he cannot win?

What is more important (1) having a government than can function at this critical time or (2) being able to point fingers at republicans?

Can't we all just get along?    And please don't respond with "but, but Jeffries reached out...." 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3

22 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The old speaker bucks a few (4 or 5) radicals in his party and doesn't shut down the government.

In response those radicals try to kick him out and every single democrat votes for his ouster.

The republicans fall back to Jordan and today not a single democrat votes for him.

At every turn the democrats blame republicans 100% for the ouster and the failure to have a speaker when the world is close to falling apart.

I'm embarrassed by the fact that the republicans have radicals and can't find someone everyone will support.

Are any democrats embarassed by the fact that every single democrat voted for Jeffries knowing full well he cannot win?

What is more important (1) having a government than can function at this critical time or (2) being able to point fingers at republicans?

Can't we all just get along?    And please don't respond with "but, but Jeffries reached out...." 

Clearly the Democrats fault after Republicans acted on the motion to vacate they insisted on simplifying when they spent 15 votes (modern record!) just to appoint a guy temporarily. Clearly the Democrats fault the Republican caucus is wholly dysfunctional and incapable of governing. Thank God the Republicans required the Democrats to behave when they held the same slim majority with differing factions. Republicans really held those Democrats in line. It’s truly sad the Democrats can’t do the same.

It takes some deeply, deeply imbedded partisanship and a truly twisted sense of logic to put this mess at the Democrats feet, but, by gosh, you clearly have what it takes! 👏👏

• Like 2

The Democrats have their guy and they’re right to be behind him and only him. They’ve no obligation to resolve the cracks in the R caucus. 

If the Rs want a favor from the Dems, the Dems aren’t obligated to do it for free. The Rs needs to make some compromises. 

Edited by AUDub

Just now, AUDub said:

The Democrats have their guy and they’re right to behind him and only him. They’ve no obligation to resolve the cracks in the R caucus. 

If the Rs want to a favor from the Dems, the Dems aren’t obligated to do it for free. The Rs needs to make some compromises. 

Your seem to be suggesting the Republicans act like responsible adults deserving of a governing majority and that’s simply not fair!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Your seem to be suggesting the Republicans act like responsible adults deserving of a governing majority and that’s simply not fair!

It’s funny how over a barrel the Freedom Caucus has the Republicans at large. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Clearly the Democrats fault after Republicans acted on the motion to vacate they insisted on simplifying when they spent 15 votes (modern record!) just to appoint a guy temporarily. Clearly the Democrats fault the Republican caucus is wholly dysfunctional and incapable of governing. Thank God the Republicans required the Democrats to behave when they held the same slim majority with differing factions. Republicans really held those Democrats in line. It’s truly sad the Democrats can’t do the same.

It takes some deeply, deeply imbedded partisanship and a truly twisted sense of logic to put this mess at the Democrats feet, but, by gosh, you clearly have what it takes! 👏👏

This is solid problem solving.

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Jim Jordan's quote today.... "Republicans have no interest in any type of coalition governing structure with the Democrats."

I'm certain that there are a few Republican candidates that could work out some agreement to get the few Democratic votes needed.  They haven't been an option yet.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Why should the dems have to do anything.  Not enough adults in the room in the R caucus? 

• Like 1

What should have been a midterm Republican red wave became a maga fizzle. A razor thin majority like this gives way too much power to whackies.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

What should have been a midterm Republican red wave became a maga fizzle. A razor thin majority like this gives way too much power to whackies.

In European style parliaments they’d be throwing it back to the people. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Problem solving is impossible when those empowered to both create and solve problems fail to take responsibility for either. Republicans blew it up. Republicans can easily find enough bipartisan votes if they choose to be bipartisan. They refuse. Absolutely refuse. Not an inch. So you say Democrats need to bail out the irresponsible. You don’t take that approach in most aspects of your life, do you? Sounds more like coddling than conservatism, don’t it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Problem solving is impossible when those empowered to both create and solve problems fail to take responsibility for either. Republicans blew it up. Republicans can easily find enough bipartisan votes if they choose to be bipartisan. They refuse. Absolutely refuse. Not an inch. So you say Democrats need to bail out the irresponsible. You don’t take that approach in most aspects of your life, do you? Sounds more like coddling than conservatism, don’t it?

True. I would also suggest that if the democrats had the same margin you’d have the squad unleashed.

• Dislike 1

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

True. I would also suggest that if the democrats had the same margin you’d have the squad unleashed.

They had a very thin majority last go around and Nancy Pelosi kept them in line. If the squad is the D equivalent to the freedom caucus, you wouldn’t know it from how Pelosi got them in lock step  

Can’t be said enough how skilled a politician Pelosi was. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

You can suggest that all you want. I’ll simply point to the fact they had the same margin and that didn’t happen, so My reality v. Your unsubstantiated biased belief. 😉

• Like 1

Just now, TexasTiger said:

You can suggest that all you want. I’ll simply point to the fact they had the same margin and that didn’t happen, so My reality v. Your unsubstantiated biased belief. 😉

Heh. “But in MY hypothetical-“

”aight i’ma stop you right there”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I don’t give two craps about parties in any context anymore. Our system is corrupt as hell and the label they use to get into office is irrelevant to me. We desperately need sound minded, rational leaders and have very few on either side of the aisle. So my finger pointing is directed at all of them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t give two craps about parties in any context anymore. Our system is corrupt as hell and the label they use to get into office is irrelevant to me. We desperately need sound minded, rational leaders and have very few on either side of the aisle. So my finger pointing is directed at all of them. 

image.png.cf1a3e9604b7c0b3367ba8090f13f90e.png

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, AUDub said:

In European style parliaments they’d be throwing it back to the people. 

There’d be more parties and a coalition government and the extremists would get little attention.

16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

There’d be more parties and a coalition government and the extremists would get little attention.

A good recent example of that not happening was the British Conservatives forming a coalition with the DUP recently to avoid another election though. DUP is an extremist party (by English standards)

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

A good recent example of that not happening was the British Conservatives forming a coalition with the DUP recently to avoid another election though. DUP is an extremist party (by English standards)

Are you referring to this?

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/dup-only-party-outside-tories-to-support-pm-in-no-confidence-vote/41850723.html

The Republicans cannot "govern" themselves.  They are experts at governing the country.

Therefore,,, for the good of the country,,, Democrats should vote for a Republican.

Now let's all get behind Jordan and Trump,,, for the country.  USA, USA, USA.

I guess the house Democrats just aren't very patriotic.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, LPTiger said:

With all due respect, instead of asking “why don’t Dems support this spectacularly bad candidate a significant number of Republicans can’t stomach,” the thing that should be troubling you is 200 Republicans voted for this guy. How crazy is that? Why do the radicals get to bully the caucus into near submission? How about someone who’s actually shepherded at least one meaningful law thru congress? That ain’t Jordan. How about someone who hasn’t taken up residence in Trump’s colon? How about a Republican who’s not an election denier or coup planner? Here’s where the Dems are actually willing to do the Republicans a HUGE political favor. If the Republicans nominate a Reasonable Republican, especially one that won a Biden district, they show they can govern responsibly and one of the biggest campaign arguments against them goes up in smoke. If Republicans coalesce around Gym, the odds of them holding on to house goes down appreciably.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1