House Speaker -- help me understand

LPTiger

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

The agreement in 2017. There was a time that such a tenuous thing kept Labour out of power. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative–DUP_agreement

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

???

It’s called a pleasantry, ICHY

17 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

True. I would also suggest that if the democrats had the same margin you’d have the squad unleashed.

That's not what (recent) history "suggests".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's not what (recent) history "suggests".

I was expressing that the democrats have their own mess but I agree the republican maga issue is a much bigger one. So I bailed on this debate - you get your 1 time in 6 months that you’re right.😋

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:31 PM, AUDub said:

In European style parliaments they’d be throwing it back to the people. 

Hail to the king went away a long time ago 

• Facepalm 2

15 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Hail to the king went away a long time ago 

Parliaments are analogous to Congress. A parliamentary system can exist without a monarch lol. 

Um, if the number of representatives were reversed in the House, would a single Republican vote for a Democrat speaker? Of course not.

Thing is (JMO) if the top D were elected speaker, he could pull together all Democrats and the moderate Republicans to pass bi-partisan bills. Extremist Republican crazoids like Jordan ...... nope.

• Like 3

On 10/18/2023 at 1:32 PM, auburnatl1 said:

I was expressing that the democrats have their own mess but I agree the republican maga issue is a much bigger one. So I bailed on this de bate - you get your 1 time in 6 months that you’re right.😋

Now, now, let's not devolve into ad hominem attacks. I value you too much as a worthy opponent.  ;)

Edited by homersapien

The "Grand Old Party" no longer exists.  It has been taken over by radical, authoritarian extremists who are incapable of governing. Hopefully the American electorate will see that come next election.

If not, our system is in peril.

On 10/17/2023 at 4:24 PM, LPTiger said:

The old speaker bucks a few (4 or 5) radicals in his party and doesn't shut down the government.

In response those radicals try to kick him out and every single democrat votes for his ouster.

The republicans trot out Scalise and no democrat will commit to vote for him.

The republicans fall back to Jordan and today not a single democrat votes for him.

At every turn the democrats blame republicans 100% for the ouster and the failure to have a speaker when the world is close to falling apart.

I'm embarrassed by the fact that the republicans have radicals and can't find someone everyone will support.

Are any democrats embarassed by the fact that every single democrat voted for Jeffries knowing full well he cannot win?

What is more important (1) having a government than can function at this critical time or (2) being able to point fingers at republicans?

Can't we all just get along?    And please don't respond with "but, but Jeffries reached out...." 

On second thought, you’re right. Democrats clearly need to commit to doing better. Their inability to fill the leadership void created by the majority has now led to death threats.

IMG_8533.jpeg