Republicans and White Protestants are the ones most itching to be violent

TexasTiger

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Your point?  :dunno:

A subtle one. Are these people saying theyll save us from an external enemy or implying insurrection.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

A subtle one. Are these people saying theyll save us from an external enemy or implying insurrection.

Undoubtedly they'd say they are trying to save us from an internal enemy. :-\

"We have met the enemy and he is us." 

Edited by homersapien

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Undoubtedly they'd say they are trying to save us from an internal enemy. :-\

"We have met the enemy and he is us." 

Creepy. People need to pick up a few more hobbies.

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Not if gerrymandering and the Electoral College have anything to say about it. 

Yes, but beyond trying to gain an unfair advantage - more broadly, there are a growing group of people that believe that it’s their right to grab their 17 assault rifles and try to overthrow a gov that they don’t agree with. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Yes, but beyond trying to gain an unfair advantage - more broadly, there are a growing group of people that believe that it’s their right to grab their 17 assault rifles and try to overthrow a gov that they don’t agree with. 

Do you have an example of this?  Don’t give me JAN 6th as an example because there wasn’t an AR-15 in sight that day.  It is what the left want you to believe and it looks like you are buying into it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you have an example of this?  Don’t give me JAN 6th as an example because there wasn’t an AR-15 in sight that day.  It is what the left want you to believe and it looks like you are buying into it.

It’s not “the left”.  One of the justifications I read a few months ago (on even this site) for assault rifles was not just for hunting, not just for home defense (50 round mags? Come on - they are called “assault rifles”), but for rising up against a “totalitarian gov”.  

I’ll leave it at that and bailing on this subject. Always gets too weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, auburnatl1 said:

It’s not “the left”.  One of the justifications I read a few months ago (on even this site) for assault rifles was not just for hunting, not just for home defense (50 round mags? Come on - they are called “assault rifles”), but for rising up against a “totalitarian gov”.  

I’ll leave it at that and bailing on this subject. Always gets too weird.

Have you read the 2nd Amendment?  No mention of hunting at all.  Actually, no mention of protecting the home. It does mention the security of a free state.  Those are defensive words, not offensive.  I’ll leave it at that, too.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Have you read the 2nd Amendment?  No mention of hunting at all.  Actually, no mention of protecting the home. It does mention the security of a free state.  Those are defensive words, not offensive.  I’ll leave it at that, too.

This isn’t about a “free state”. Thats Shining Path path over throwing a dictator stuff. This is about overthrowing a democracy - like it or not, majority rules. Btw if the thinking is taking on a $750b military doing the Red Dawn thing… uh huh.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2023 at 3:26 PM, auburnatl1 said:

This isn’t about a “free state”. Thats Shining Path path over throwing a dictator stuff. This is about overthrowing a democracy - like it or not, majority rules. Btw if the thinking is taking on a $750b military doing the Red Dawn thing… uh huh.

A standing army was not part of the founders thinking at the time. 

They saw the second amendment as a way to insure the protection of our country - "a free state" - from other countries or threats, not to overthrow our own (democratic) government. 

Thus the preamble:  "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

The idea it was to protect us from our own government is pure invention.

Edited by homersapien

15 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Save us from invading Russians or people who don’t agree with us?

Our country is majority rules. Simple as that.

How about a home invasion? I've shot thousands of rounds from an AR and it simply isn't my choice for home defense, but everyone isn't an expert marksman. The AR platform does bridge a gap and up and until they are outlawed, people will choose them for that very purpose. 

9 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

You have given up on the Constitution as written.  That document was written so the majority doesn’t rule.  When the majority is not right cooler heads have to prevail.  As to taking on a $750 billion military, go ask the rice field tenders in Vietnam, the goat herders of Afghanistan and Hamas about that.

Do you really think the US Government is going to call air strikes on its own citizens?  There would have to be a great divide in this country for that to happen and I doubt we would ever see it.  So, that is an idle threat, at most, our President keeps on using.  Biden talks tougher about his own citizens than our enemies and that is worrisome.  It should bother you.

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

Heard this before, but never really see accurate statistics to back it up. Curious if you have any?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

You have given up on the Constitution as written.  That document was written so the majority doesn’t rule.  When the majority is not right cooler heads have to prevail.  As to taking on a $750 billion military, go ask the rice field tenders in Vietnam, the goat herders of Afghanistan and Hamas about that.

Do you really think the US Government is going to call air strikes on its own citizens?  There would have to be a great divide in this country for that to happen and I doubt we would ever see it.  So, that is an idle threat, at most, our President keeps on using.  Biden talks tougher about his own citizens than our enemies and that is worrisome.  It should bother you.

Well glad the revolution has been war gamed out. Help me out - besides self protection of property, where exactly does it say anywhere in the constitution that a minority has the right to overthrow a majority elected  gov? Must have missed it. Normally a group like that has a different classification - which the constitution does specifically address.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, auburnatl1 said:

Well glad the revolution has been war gamed out. Help me out - besides self protection of property, where exactly does it say anywhere in the constitution that a minority has the right to overthrow a majority elected  gov? Must have missed it. Normally a group like that has a different classification - which the constitution does specifically address.

Where did I say the minority can overturn the elected government?  That would be an offensive play and there are many other ways to show displeasure with the government.  As you said, these conversations get weird.  The electoral college, the way Congress is elected pushes back on majority rule, that was my point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Where did I say the minority can overturn the elected government?  That would be an offensive play and there are many other ways to show displeasure with the government.  As you said, these conversations get weird.  The electoral college, the way Congress is elected pushes back on majority rule, that was my point.

I sincerely do understand your sentiment, the problem comes when someone else takes your logic and then adds 3 dashes of nationalism crazy. Same problem I have with assault rifles, I have absolutely no issue with you and other “responsible gun owners” owning them. If you enjoy them and they give you peace of mind, I get it.  It’s the implications of a 50 round, no hesitation clip, with 2 more in a deep pocket, and an an angry person with 3 dashes of crazy. Every democracy has to weigh freedoms vs consequences. However, so long as a majority supports them - I will.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I sincerely do understand your sentiment, the problem comes when someone else takes your logic and then adds 3 dashes of nationalism crazy. Same problem I have with assault rifles, I have absolutely no issue with you and other “responsible gun owners” owning them. If you enjoy them and they give you peace of mind, I get it.  It’s the implications of a 50 round, no hesitation clip, with 2 more in a deep pocket, and an an angry person with 3 dashes of crazy. Every democracy has to weigh freedoms vs consequences. However, so long as a majority supports them - I will.

I have never gotten into tactical gear, bullet proof vests and the like and can understand the backlash to those that do.  This guy in Maine has lived and taught this stuff, he isn’t you typical *Red Dawn* enthusiast.  Very dangerous dude that snapped and not your typical mass shooter.

To the topic, I believe most *Republicans and White Protestants* (interesting category) are watching rather than doing at this point.  Surveys seem to go to the extremes.

12 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I have never gotten into tactical gear, bullet proof vests and the like and can understand the backlash to those that do.  This guy in Maine has lived and taught this stuff, he isn’t you typical *Red Dawn* enthusiast.  Very dangerous dude that snapped and not your typical mass shooter.

To the topic, I believe most *Republicans and White Protestants* (interesting category) are watching rather than doing at this point.  Surveys seem to go to the extremes.

I have no idea what the Protestant stuff means either. Guns are more about regional cultural heritage than religion. Whether somebody is catholic vs Lutheran is about a relevant as whether somebody prefers dogs vs cats.

• Like 1