Maher: Andrew Cuomo as guest, "Defund the police were the three dumbest words ever said by members of the Democratic Party."

DKW 86

While I detest Cuomo and his handling, or non-handling of COVID, he is so close to my version of the Dem Party that it shocks me honestly. 

Let’s face it he’s right about “defund the police.” 

as I’ve said repeatedly for years the dems are bad at messaging. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Let’s face it he’s right about “defund the police.” 
as I’ve said repeatedly for years the dems are bad at messaging. 

True, but I don't think its reasonable to label "defund the police" as a Democratic Party message any more than labeling "Jews will not replace us!" as a Republican Party message.

Republicans excel painting Democrats with a "broad brush" - easy to do with the greater diversity of Democrats.

I hope Democrats do a better job of making the actual Republican Party message - Trump authoritarianism/fascism - the key distinction in 2024.

• Haha 1

I've never heard or read a quote by any Democrat advocating to defund the police anywhere, anytime. But I've encountered a lot of Republican attack ads claiming that Democrats want to defund the police. And all the "fact check" articles I've read bear that out.

Funny thing, though, if you delve into the Libertarian literature, there is a lot about how police and security forces should all be private enterprises (along with most government public services like fire departments, water and sewage, etc). Because, hey, unbridled capitalism is the solution to everything. 😬

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AURex said:

I've never heard or read a quote by any Democrat advocating to defund the police anywhere, anytime. But I've encountered a lot of Republican attack ads claiming that Democrats want to defund the police. And all the "fact check" articles I've read bear that out.

Funny thing, though, if you delve into the Libertarian literature, there is a lot about how police and security forces should all be private enterprises (along with most government public services like fire departments, water and sewage, etc). Because, hey, unbridled capitalism is the solution to everything. 😬

Depends on how far left you go. There’s a damned good reason Joe Biden never uttered the phrase during the 2020 campaign. 

He never uttered it because that was never anything the Democrats wanted or espoused. Even the most progressive Democrats never proposed defunding the police. This was just a tight wing propaganda campaign.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

9 hours ago, AURex said:

He never uttered it because that was never anything the Democrats wanted or espoused. Even the most progressive Democrats never proposed defunding the police. This was just a tight wing propaganda campaign.

Listen to some of your so called progressive Democrats blow your statement out of the water:

This liberal mantra:  its not happening, why do you care and its good that it is.  

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cuomo has always been more mainstream than what some on the right have wanted to paint him as being.  He made some mistakes during Covid, but he was at least trying and not ignoring the problem. He also did a lot right.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Cuomo has always been more mainstream than what some on the right have wanted to paint him as being.  He made some mistakes during Covid, but he was at least trying and not ignoring the problem. He also did a lot right.

He panicked and put the elderly in harms way.  He didn’t understand the virus at that stage, but he was not removed from office for that mistake.

20 hours ago, AURex said:

What you said above is complete bovine excrement. Some, not most, but defintely some very prominent and active Dems loudly and proudly supported DTP. 

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Listen to some of your so called progressive Democrats blow your statement out of the water:

This liberal mantra:  its not happening, why do you care and its good that it is.  

That was one of the most brutal rebutals ever shown on this forum.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

He panicked and put the elderly in harms way.  He didn’t understand the virus at that stage, but he was not removed from office for that mistake.

He wasn't removed from office.  He resigned.

9 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Defund was more a leftist progressive movement  and not a mainstream democrat position (that I ever heard).

It always nice to profit from something while being able to disassociate from it at the same time...

Just how I classify. I don’t think of progressives as classical democrats or maga as classical republicans. But yes, both parties have let them … in, so you have a point.

Edited by auburnatl1

On 11/1/2023 at 9:41 PM, auburnatl1 said:

Defund was more a leftist progressive movement  and not a mainstream democrat position (that I ever heard).

No, it wasn't a "movement". I was a slogan (at best).

But it's the Republicans who actually are trying to do it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/06/expect-rough-two-weeks-speaker-johnson/

Commerce, Justice, Science: Johnson proposed bringing this bill — which funds the Justice Department, among other agencies — directly to the floor this week since it hasn’t even made it out of committee. The bill is controversial because it cuts FBI funding by 9 percent, which the White House has warned would cost up to 673 FBI agents their jobs. (Former president Donald Trump’s attacks on the agency have made it a conservative target.)

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

No, it wasn't a "movement". I was a slogan (at best).

But it's the Republicans who actually are trying to do it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/06/expect-rough-two-weeks-speaker-johnson/

Commerce, Justice, Science: Johnson proposed bringing this bill — which funds the Justice Department, among other agencies — directly to the floor this week since it hasn’t even made it out of committee. The bill is controversial because it cuts FBI funding by 9 percent, which the White House has warned would cost up to 673 FBI agents their jobs. (Former president Donald Trump’s attacks on the agency have made it a conservative target.)

San fran, Portland, Minneapolis, ect. For about 6 months after Floyd it was way way more than a slogan. I won’t bother pasting links about bills but …. come on.

34 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

San fran, Portland, Minneapolis, ect. For about 6 months after Floyd it was way way more than a slogan. I won’t bother pasting links about bills but …. come on.

And Republicans are going after the FBI which affects everyone in the country.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Classic Whataboutism.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

You’re stretching. Completely different motive and impact. Ps But another  example of fringe extremism.

On 11/6/2023 at 3:46 PM, DKW 86 said:

Classic Whataboutism.

And perfectly appropriate considering Republicans - and others - are trying characterize Democrats as solely representing the party of "defund the police".

One might say that's "classic hypocrisy".  :-\

On 11/6/2023 at 4:57 PM, auburnatl1 said:

You’re stretching. Completely different motive and impact. Ps But another  example of fringe extremism.

I would argue that the Democrats you referenced have a much purer motive than Republicans, since the latter are clearly after retribution because the FBI did their job - only against "dear leader".