Fairweather

LPTiger

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We did randomly give out a mid season scholly last week to a walk on WR.  Looked at the participation from PFF from yesterday

Jyaire Shorter - I'd assume you say
Nick Mardner - Didn't play.  So I guess him

The rest of our WRs on scholly played yesterday
Ja’Varrius Johnson - Played Yesterday
Shane Hooks - Played Yesterday
Koy Moore - Played Yesterday
Malcolm Johnson Jr. - Played Yesterday
Camden Brown - Played Yesterday
Omari Kelly - Played Yesterday
Jay Fair - Played Yesterday
Caleb Burton - Played Yesterday

Some interesting facts -- Kelly, according to AU Football's website, has played in 18 games at AU and has 5 catches -- 3 last year and 2 this year. M. Johnson has played in 8 games this year and has 5 catches for 100 yards.  Hooks had one reception against State and none yesterday.  For the year he has 9 receptions in 9 games.  Moore was one of our "better" receivers last year with 20 receptions for 314 yards and this year he has played in 7 games and has 3 receptions for 24 yards.   Brown has 8 receptions for 78 yards.    That is 5 receivers each with 9 receptions or less for the year.  3 with 5 or fewer receptions.   The 5 have combined for 27 catches. this year   Fair leads the group with 28 receptions for 284 yards.   Fairweather is next with 27 for 277.

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Some interesting facts -- Kelly, according to AU Football's website, has played in 18 games at AU and has 5 catches -- 3 last year and 2 this year. M. Johnson has played in 8 games this year and has 5 catches for 100 yards.  Hooks had one reception against State and none yesterday.  For the year he has 9 receptions in 9 games.  Moore was one of our "better" receivers last year with 20 receptions for 314 yards and this year he has played in 7 games and has 3 receptions for 24 yards.   Brown has 8 receptions for 78 yards.    That is 5 receivers each with 9 receptions or less for the year.  3 with 5 or fewer receptions.   The 5 have combined for 27 catches. this year   Fair leads the group with 28 receptions for 284 yards.   Fairweather is next with 27 for 277.

Our WRs are mid

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I’m not going to make character judgments. I don’t know the guy. All of the receivers and tight ends have just been very inconsistent. I don’t know if this is our current coaches versus linger effects from Harsin. But I’m starting to think it is our current coaches. Even the newer guys are struggling. I’ll say this. Marcus Davis is on the hot seat. Hate it when that happens to a former player. But the position group has to do better than this.

He coach the TE’s?

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

He coach the TE’s?

I’m not in practice, but I’d bet he’s going through some of the wide receiver catching drills. He’s being used in kind of a hybrid role. They flex him out a lot.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 5:33 PM, LPTiger said:

What an inconsistent game.   He catches our longest pass of the year and then drops 2 in a row and misses a block on a DB.  He also didn't even attempt to come back to the ball on the pick 6.   I wonder if consistency and effort was the reason he wound up at FIU to begin with.

I went back and watched the pick-6 play. RF squatted on the route, then started backing away from the ball.  Half of that pick was on him not going to get the ball. I don’t know wth he was thinking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I went back and watched the pick-6 play. RF squatted on the route, then started backing away from the ball.  Half of that pick was on him not going to get the ball. I don’t know wth he was thinking.

100%.   He was very lazy on the play.    You have to protect your QB particularly inside the 15.   Maybe it will be a learning moment for him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

@AUght2win posted about learning how to win.   This is an example.   In that situation your tight end has to make sure no one but him catches the ball.  It is a bunch of seemingly "little things" that lead to a culture of always winning.

9 hours ago, Chuck4334 said:

I’m watching these same receivers every week drop pass after pass but they still play the same guys. 
Yet you get Jyaire Shorter and he doesn’t play not one snap. 
Coach Davis has been telling me and my son a different story every week. 
Play someone else and see what happens. 

Based on your other post…your son just needs to play better in practice and he’ll get more playing time?

23 minutes ago, Chuck4334 said:

Well when the HC tells you that you had the best practice during game week then you get no playing time what should a player do??

That's tought, man. Hopefully he has a other good week and get a chance to light it up vs Arkansas 

• Thanks 1

I would be trying every one at WR, what’s it going to hurt? We might find someone that wants to catch the ball and won’t loaf when they are supposed to block. Put Robby in and throw it to him

1 hour ago, Chuck4334 said:

Well when the HC tells you that you had the best practice during game week then you get no playing time what should a player do??

Unfortunately, playing time in college can sometimes be tied more to politics and favoritism than talent. It’s been that way for a long long time. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Unfortunately, playing time in college can sometimes be tied more to politics and favoritism than talent. It’s been that way for a long long time. 

@CCTAUDo you  think Saban plays kids that are politically connected?   His best receiver this year slapped a young woman up beside the head last year.  Do you think Saban plays him because he is connected or because Saban likes him?  Negative, he plays him because the kid has skills.  And, Dabo lost 4 games this year because of favoritism?    Football is the ultimate meritocracy.   Coaches get judged by wins and losses and not much else.   The great coaches can evaluate talent, cultivate that talent, select which players should play on Saturday and win on Saturday.  The coaches that get fired are the ones who fail at these things.   Your theory is correct for youth league daddy ball, but it doesn't happen much, if at all, at the higher levels.   Above all, these coaches are paid to win. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

@AUght2win posted about learning how to win.   This is an example.   In that situation your tight end has to make sure no one but him catches the ball.  It is a bunch of seemingly "little things" that lead to a culture of always winning.

Yep, and I know it’s 50/50 hindsight ($1 to PFD), but when you’re that close to your own endzone, you have to attack a shallow flat throw if for nothing other than cutting off the defenders angle to the ball.  

Receiving 101.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

@CCTAUDo you  think Saban plays kids that are politically connected?   His best receiver this year slapped a young woman up beside the head last year.  Do you think Saban plays him because he is connected or because Saban likes him?  Negative, he plays him because the kid has skills.  And, Dabo lost 4 games this year because of favoritism?    Football is the ultimate meritocracy.   Coaches get judged by wins and losses and not much else.   The great coaches can evaluate talent, cultivate that talent, select which players should play on Saturday and win on Saturday.  The coaches that get fired are the ones who fail at these things.   Your theory is correct for youth league daddy ball, but it doesn't happen much, if at all, at the higher levels.   Above all, these coaches are paid to win. 

When all else is equal, yes. 

14 hours ago, CCTAU said:

When all else is equal, yes. 

With all being equal, I’d think he would have a tendency to favor the guys he brought in, yet we still have a high number of Harsin recruits playing at the skill positions.

Shorter not playing more baffles me; but there is another that isn’t playing and we’ve been told why (on podcasts) over and over since spring.

I've been told that it's a requirement to douse both hands in melted butter before you can check into the game at WR or TE at AU. Not sure why keep that tradition going. 

15 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Yep, and I know it’s 50/50 hindsight ($1 to PFD), but when you’re that close to your own endzone, you have to attack a shallow flat throw if for nothing other than cutting off the defenders angle to the ball.  

Receiving 101.

Yes that was a lot of it. The other part was Thorne looking right into the sun and the Vandy CB was in the shadows wearing a black jersey. I just watched the CHF presser from today and it verified what I had thought happened. When Thorne was coming off the field he made no excuses about the sun or anything else and told CHF, "Coach, I didn't even see him." Freeze said he told him, "don't throw blind" and they moved on.

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes that was a lot of it. The other part was Thorne looking right into the sun and the Vandy CB was in the shadows wearing a black jersey. I just watched the CHF presser from today and it verified what I had thought happened. When Thorne was coming off the field he made no excuses about the sun or anything else and told CHF, "Coach, I didn't even see him." Freeze said he told him, "don't throw blind" and they moved on.

Yeah, but he sure was shading his eyes when the tv camera was tracking him on the sidelines, like he was making sure everyone knew he was battling the sun on that throw...🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Yeah, but he sure was shading his eyes when the tv camera was tracking him on the sidelines, like he was making sure everyone knew he was battling the sun on that throw...🤣

Yeah he did, lol.

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:45 PM, IronMan70 said:

I'm a fan of Fairweather but we have to be honest. With the drops, missed blocks, holding on offense, holding on special teams, most negating big gains, it's not possible for a TE to have a worse game. He probably agrees with that too, so hopefully it's just an anomaly.

It’s like some of y’all never lived through the Tommy Trott years.

• Haha 3

On 11/5/2023 at 12:43 AM, CCTAU said:

He catches it when you throw it to him. And at 6’ 30”, he can reach up and grab it out of the air. I’ll put money on him.

Besides, how fast you gotta be to go 8 yards and turn around!

If I’m not mistaken, he has an insanely fast 40 time. Might take him a while to get going but he’s supposed to actually be fast. 

On 11/5/2023 at 9:26 AM, Mikey said:

What does coaching have to do with simply catching a ball? Either a guy has good hands or he doesn't. I cannot see blaming the dropseys on a coach. Route running, blocking, carrying out other assignments, those things are coaching. Dropping a well thrown ball? That's that's the player's own problem.

No, it’s like a direct result of coaching emphasis. If guys don’t take BP, they won’t hit as well. If guys don’t practice free throws, they won’t make as many. If receivers don’t get on the jugs machine, run basic traffic drills, and practice high pointing, they won’t catch as many.

If MD wanted to put an end to the drops, he could. I’d have them out there all damn day getting basic reps until they got sick of it. Anything hand-eye HAS to constantly be reinforced.

On 11/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, Chuck4334 said:

Yes the WR that transferred to auburn from Hawaii left the team for some time alone. This is the young man that came here with Coach Davis. 
Now do you really think nothing is going on in the receiver room. 

All due respect, we have about two, maybe three, Power 5 level wide receivers on this team. Varrius Johnson is one. Hooks is debatable. Need to see more. Jay Fair has the talent to create separation but is too inconsistent with his hands. 

Everybody else is too young or just hasn’t gotten a chance to improve. The latter you can blame on MD. The rotation is crazy. You don’t play 10 wideouts. Ever. But especially when you’re strapped for talent. Find 4-5 and stick with them and let them develop.