Eerily similar to 2022-2023

ArgoEagle

On 11/8/2023 at 10:51 AM, ArgoEagle said:

Nothing "lazy" about the comparison. Spot on if you stay in context with my original post.  I know this team is different in many ways & am sure we won't keep coming up short in this type game.

You have to understand something if you’re going to post stuff up in here. It wouldn’t matter if Bruce had his team wash their hands pre-game with axle grease, it would be the right thing to do. Criticism of, or non-conformance to, anything short of “We’re a freaking Blue Blood, baby!”  will get you ostracized and deemed to not be a true Aubren man.

• Dislike 1

The two main differences Auburn faded at the end game in my opinion are that

1. Baylor played two very close scrimmage games vs. preseason #11 Gonzaga and #15Texas A&M while Auburn played AUM and Furman. Baylor has a good team and their experience vs. two good teams prior to our game helped them tremendously.

2. Down the stretch we had to use Aden Holloway, a true freshman, at PG because of Tre Donaldson's foul trouble. It is not fair to expect Aden (who may end up as the best PG ever at Auburn) to be able to outperform Baylor at the PG spot in his first ever college game.

This Auburn team is going to be really good and REALLY fun to watch. Let's enjoy the ride!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You have to understand something if you’re going to post stuff up in here. It wouldn’t matter if Bruce had his team wash their hands pre-game with axle grease, it would be the right thing to do. Criticism of, or non-conformance to, anything short of “We’re a freaking Blue Blood, baby!”  will get you ostracized and deemed to not be a true Aubren man.

I'm leaning toward sarcasm here (of some form) but honestly don't know what direction you went here.

36 minutes ago, Grumps said:

1. Baylor played two very close scrimmage games vs. preseason #11 Gonzaga and #15Texas A&M while Auburn played AUM and Furman. Baylor has a good team and their experience vs. two good teams prior to our game helped them tremendously.

2. Down the stretch we had to use Aden Holloway, a true freshman, at PG because of Tre Donaldson's foul trouble. It is not fair to expect Aden (who may end up as the best PG ever at Auburn) to be able to outperform Baylor at the PG spot in his first ever college game.

This Auburn team is going to be really good and REALLY fun to watch. Let's enjoy the ride!

I believe we will either have Holloway only 1 or 2 years.

14 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I'm leaning toward sarcasm here (of some form) but honestly don't know what direction you went here.

Just read, brother. You'll figure it out.

Edited by Swamp Eagle

27 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Just read, brother. You'll figure it out.

Right. So if there's a person that disagrees with someone slamming whatever after less than 3 halves of basketball they are too stupid to reply? Did I miss something? I just read , brother ,and I don't understand. Just asking, not trying to start something. 

Edited by JuscAUse!

5 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

As a person in that position last year, I can understand where that conception could come from. But your assumption skips over the need for the complaint to make sense and have merit of its own. I obviously am not some sunshine pumping homer, as regulars on this board can attest to. And I dont think anyone here is accusing Argo of not being an auburn man. But of simply having an argument that we didn't agree with.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

Doc Robinson would like a word…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

Right. So if there's a person that disagrees with someone slamming whatever after less than 3 halves of basketball they are too stupid to reply? Did I miss something? I just read , brother ,and I don't understand. Just asking, not trying to start something. 

It’s an enigma, a riddle wrapped in a question. 

• Haha 1

I agree with that observation that, in the endgame, you gotta make free throws. You gotta make free throws or you die. And making free throws under pressure in the endgame takes real mental toughness. Auburn ain't there yet. I'm hoping they will be soon.

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Simply put, in this Basketball Forum, if you post anything other than we are a basketball blue blood or Bruce can do no wrong, you are not a true Auburn man. You will be ostracized as a negative Nancy who hates Auburn and Pearl. Skin here is thin and feelings are easily hurt. 

As I said, just read.

• Dislike 1

2 things:

1. I believe that we are definitely farther along than we were this time last year.

2. This team definitely has more weapons and pieces than last year's team. And therefore, a higher ceiling.

• Like 1

I’ve decided that some of our fans just either 

a) can’t be happy about anything

b) haven’t lived long enough to remember how had our bball program was

c) have so little control over things in their own life that they pick apart the things truly out of their control 

War Eagle. And yes, if you can’t say something nice about our bball team after a strong showing in their first game against a quality opponent, then I’d prefer you just move on. 

Edited by passthebiscuits
  • Like 6

Thoughts

1st game and would have loved a win, but we went toe to toe with a very good Baylor team. 
almost every stat same .  
Stupid fouls haunt us and tell of discipline problems. Bruce gives the team too much room( my opinion)

Holloway for real. Exciting player 

offense is 400% better, defense is better but still has problems one on one. 

Love the new offense!!  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Simply put, in this Basketball Forum, if you post anything other than we are a basketball blue blood or Bruce can do no wrong, you are not a true Auburn man. You will be ostracized as a negative Nancy who hates Auburn and Pearl. Skin here is thin and feelings are easily hurt. 

As I said, just read

I didn't have any of those thoughts  when I responded to the OP. You seem to have picked the two extreme positions and lumped everyone in one camp or the other. Whatever. I'm an optimist and enjoy watching my team , especially football and basketball. I can be very critical in the heat of a game but I normally get over it. It would be nice to make the final 4 or win the BCS every year, but that ain't happening so I'm gonna try and enjoy the moment. Everyone's different and it would be a really dull place if we weren't. 

WDE

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I didn't have any of those thoughts  when I responded to the OP. You seem to have picked the two extreme positions and lumped everyone in one camp or the other. Whatever. I'm an optimist and enjoy watching my team , especially football and basketball. I can be very critical in the heat of a game but I normally get over it. It would be nice to make the final 4 or win the BCS every year, but that ain't happening so I'm gonna try and enjoy the moment. Everyone's different and it would be a really dull place if we weren't. 

WDE

I'm with you. Tell that to the other crowd. You're not comprehending the intent my post very well.

Edited by Swamp Eagle

I may be wrong here but it seems like we are consistently getting called for more fouls then our opponent. Assuming the refs don't hate AU or our players (not totally convinced of this but for arguments sake lol) what can we do to reduce fouls but still play good defense? Do you bring refs in to call fouls in practice? Change how we coach defense? 

Also, the next time Cardwell fouls a guard at half court i'm going down to AU to make him run bleachers myself. 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:20 AM, ArgoEagle said:

Last night took the course of a bunch of our losses last year.  We had control of the game and looked sharp in most phases.  In the final 6 minutes their guards looked really good offensively and our guards went cold and laid an egg.  I don't believe and hope this trend does not continue this year.  Also got beat pretty badly in the free throw department & gave up too many offensive rebounds.  But overall I feel really good about the rest of this season.  War Eagle!

Wait,  What?

this team is not at all like last year.  Completely deferent personality, very different philosophy,  different player styles.  I guess the "laid an egg at the end" is similar, but almost invariably, every team has losses where they lay an egg at the end.  

• Like 1

IMO, It's way premature to make these type of judgements after ONE game. It was a winnable game for us and we came up short.  It happens to literally every team in the country at some point.  This team is entirely different, and its unfair to rush to judgement and form a conclusion based on ONE game.  At least let this team form an identity first and that doesn't happen with one game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Wait,  What?

this team is not at all like last year.  Completely deferent personality, very different philosophy,  different player styles.  I guess the "laid an egg at the end" is similar, but almost invariably, every team has losses where they lay an egg at the end.  

I tried this approach. The response was a vague statement about context and guards missing shots or something. And then a bunch of whining from Swamp Eagle that dissidents aren't treated fairly. Which, he's not completely wrong, but this is just a piss poor example of it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

IMO, It's way premature to make these type of judgements after ONE game. It was a winnable game for us and we came up short.  It happens to literally every team in the country at some point.  This team is entirely different, and its unfair to rush to judgement and form a conclusion based on ONE game.  At least let this team form an identity first and that doesn't happen with one game.

I watched 1 game. I commented on that 1 game.  Also said I did not think this trend would continue.  Not a negative Nancy here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

I watched 1 game. I commented on that 1 game.  Also said I did not think this trend would continue.  Not a negative Nancy here.

Yet you chose the negative one thing from the one game you watched to make the negative original post. Surely you can understand why the rest of us are miffed. But at least you got us engaged in the discussion. So for that you’re a genius. 

• Like 1