Return of the Potato gang....part deux...

bishoptf

He was/is a good playcaller, good offensive mind, hard-nosed, no-nonsense football coach who was a horrible fit here. He came in handcuffed by the AU PTB who required him to hire coaches/coordinators he didn't know or trust because they had significant previous SEC ties/experience. He didn't endear himself by alienating pre-existing AD employees, and it certainly didn't help that he was hired by and worked under AD Greene, who by all accounts was sent to "time out in the corner" for the remainder of his contract when the general was called in to do his job. He tried to establish his culture immediately by basically being a hard-shell jerk that players either appreciated and responded positively to (John Samuel Shenker) or hated and left (Big Kat Bryant, et al). He pissed off a lot of folks, including DC Mason and higher-up power brokers who, instead of just firing and buying him out like they probably should have after the slow-burn collapse following halftime vs Miss. State, planted (or at least "fertilized") the extra-marital affair story to ramp up pressure for him to resign, or at least find dirt for which they could axe him for cause. As he said in his press conference, "It didn't work," but in actuality it kinda did: he basically stopped caring about being the Auburn coach at that point, and just pony-rode through last year until it was more than obvious a change had to be made before the season was over. Throw in the fact that he was hired in the middle of a screwy pandemic era where campus visits were disallowed, and the fact that he didn't see the need to convince good HS players to come to AU if they weren't born/destined to wear the O&B, and you get what we got. I mean, dang, the man didn't sign a single player in Dec. '21, when all rival school were doing their recruiting heavy lifting. I feel like ignorance offered Harsin the AU job, and arrogance accepted it. Apparently, ignorance and arrogance aren't exactly two bedrock principles one can expect to build a winning SEC team.

Having said all this...I don't see the need to continue to pile on. AU has paid him enough for him to just shake his head and chuckle when he thinks of his oddball whirlwind Lee County experience. If he does land back at Boise, he'll probably pick right back up and start winning 9-10 games per year in the Mountain West.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Haha 4

This dude straight-robbed Auburn University. No SEC team has ever not signed a single recruit on national signing day, except for Brain Harson at Auburn. He should have been fired for cause and not been given a single penny.

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

He was/is a good playcaller, good offensive mind, hard-nosed, no-nonsense football coach who was a horrible fit here. He came in handcuffed by the AU PTB who required him to hire coaches/coordinators he didn't know or trust because they had significant previous SEC ties/experience. He didn't endear himself by alienating pre-existing AD employees, and it certainly didn't help that he was hired by and worked under AD Greene, who by all accounts was sent to "time out in the corner" for the remainder of his contract when the general was called in to do his job. He tried to establish his culture immediately by basically being a hard-shell jerk that players either appreciated and responded positively to (John Samuel Shenker) or hated and left (Big Kat Bryant, et al). He pissed off a lot of folks, including DC Mason and higher-up power brokers who, instead of just firing and buying him out like they probably should have after the slow-burn collapse following halftime vs Miss. State, planted (or at least "fertilized") the extra-marital affair story to ramp up pressure for him to resign, or at least find dirt for which they could axe him for cause. As he said in his press conference, "It didn't work," but in actuality it kinda did: he basically stopped caring about being the Auburn coach at that point, and just pony-rode through last year until it was more than obvious a change had to be made before the season was over. Throw in the fact that he was hired in the middle of a screwy pandemic era where campus visits were disallowed, and the fact that he didn't see the need to convince good HS players to come to AU if they weren't born/destined to wear the O&B, and you get what we got. I mean, dang, the man didn't sign a single player in Dec. '21, when all rival school were doing their recruiting heavy lifting. I feel like ignorance offered Harsin the AU job, and arrogance accepted it. Apparently, ignorance and arrogance aren't exactly two bedrock principles one can expect to build a winning SEC team.

Having said all this...I don't see the need to continue to pile on. AU has paid him enough for him to just shake his head and chuckle when he thinks of his oddball whirlwind Lee County experience. If he does land back at Boise, he'll probably pick right back up and start winning 9-10 games per year in the Mountain West.

Are you Harsin’s biographer?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUINSY said:

This dude straight-robbed Auburn University. No SEC team has ever not signed a single recruit on national signing day, except for Brain Harson at Auburn. He should have been fired for cause and not been given a single penny.

Thats my thought, dude straight up didn't do any recruiting, just dug the hole even deeper...My thoughts are that after a certain point he appeared to be purposefully trying to hurt our program..no sympathy for him whatsoever...

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whew! Scary subject line! Thankfully none of them are returning here!

From the Boise State discussion boards and news articles, they were happy to see him leave. And after the disaster here at Auburn, especially his total disinterest in developing donor support in this age of NIL and his utter contempt of recruiting, I really cannot see any university hiring him even as an offensive coordinator. If they do, I'm thinking they are complete idiots.

Both Kellen Moore and Brian Grubb would be better choices, especially for recruiting and most likely for donor/fan relations as well.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1