Stop praising Freeze for everything good but blaming Harsin and Gus for everything bad

TeamZero77

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

Please read what I said.  “No bearing this week” . There is absolutely no justified argument for loosing to NMSU. Period! 

Your right,AU has no business losing to NM St. There are several factors that contributed to it. I will also say AU had no business beating Arky by 38. But it happened. Your argument to me seems like we should be good enough to roll our helmets out against NM St and win. In most years we are. At this point we aren't. 

Freeze absolutely deserve criticism for Saturday.  But we simply aren't at a point yet where we can be expected to beat anyone if we sleepwalk thru the game

9 hours ago, CCTAU said:

OK. So what! 
We are here now. If this is not where you want to be with us, begone. 
The constant whining and virtual stomping of feet will not change where we are.

I’ll let CHF do his job and trust this is a building block to a better future. 
Or… you can post about five more times how you just KNOW this is the best we’ll be with CHF. I choose to look ahead.

I think that is part of the issue, you choose to look ahead..to what? You'll let CHF do his job, so far this year he has not done a great job, all I hear is a bunch of excuses. I don't disagree that there is not much we can do, but to blindly accept that CHF is going to get things turned around is just hoping for the best, maybe he does and maybe he doesn't. I think most ( i get it that there are some that don't) want him to succeed since it means the program is where we all want it to be. I don't see it as whining or stomping of feet but folks concerned and questioning if CHF is the right person for the job. It's a fair question and like you said its not going to change but it is a fair question when we made history Saturday afternoon.

I will also state that I supported Harsin up to a point since you want the team to succeed, I think most of us choose to look ahead but after Harsin and now that dumpster fire last Saturday it makes you question if CHF will actually turn anything around except for recruiting... 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

According to Hugh he has put his foot down with the offensive staff and said that its gonna be done his way and thats when we started winning. But when we lose gimme games by 3 TD'S it's because he can't focus on the task due to recruiting. He can win in Arkansas but can't win at home as a 25 point favorite.

If he has thrown this season away and said it's a loss and focus on recruiting, why does he look like he's aged 30 years in yesterday's postgame presser and seem pissed off and short with reporters? If he just wrote the season off, it seems he wouldn't care about a loss this much.

I agree about the 3 coaches thing in a way. I believe AUwent made a comment yesterday saying Auburn just might not ever get any higher as a whole than what Gus accomplished in his 8 years. I don't want to believe that but history of this program says he has a point. 

The highs this program has had over the past couple decades, Gus was on staff either as an OC or HC. He also had Cam win a Heisman, Tre Mason made it to NYC as a Heisman Finalist, Nick Marshall finished 7th in Heisman and his one year as Arkansas OC, Darren McFadden finished 2nd for the Heisman and its Arkansas's only SEC West title. 

He has struggled this year but his trophy case is pretty nice while Hugh Freeze's trophy room is a broom closet.

Those are some pretty damn good players you named there. I bet if we had one of those on the team we’d be better. But our last 2 coaches really didn’t leave any of those when they left.

You hate Freeze. We get it

As long as we are still paying Gus and Harsin,,, we can criticize them all we care to criticize them.  Same for Freeze.

The most highly paid, the people at the top, are naturally the ones who should be criticized.  They are the ones in control.

I sort of see what the op is saying but when you're literally in year one of a new coach absolutely the old coach is going and needs to be brought up. He literally has just as much and I would actually argue more to do with product you are seeing that particular year than the actual coach that year

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I sort of see what the op is saying but when you're literally in year one of a new coach absolutely the old coach is going and needs to be brought up. He literally has just as much and I would actually argue more to do with product you are seeing that particular year than the actual coach that year

Not game plan and preparation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Yes I know. The op said EVERYTHING good and EVERYTHING bad. 

And actually you could argue it's still residue old coaches having something to do with a little bit of that as well. 

Personally I never wanted Freeze to begin with. Some on here have already pointed out why. I would like to know who was calling plays on offense yesterday. Was it Freeze or Montgomery.  Also the defense was just out of it. Couldn't tackle or hold the edge. A total 180 from there performance at Arkansas. Just looking around the league at coaches, on how they are doing, the guy at Missouri really has done a good job over there. Very impressed with him. I would swap him and Freeze in a heartbeat.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Aubi1961 said:

Personally I never wanted Freeze to begin with. Some on here have already pointed out why. I would like to know who was calling plays on offense yesterday. Was it Freeze or Montgomery.  Also the defense was just out of it. Couldn't tackle or hold the edge. A total 180 from there performance at Arkansas. Just looking around the league at coaches, on how they are doing, the guy at Missouri really has done a good job over there. Very impressed with him. I would swap him and Freeze in a heartbeat.

Drinkwitz may be a legitimate option. He has ties to AU thru Gus. Maybe they  will start the ball rolling on firing Freeze and then put the full court press on Drinkwitz. Kick the tires and make him say no

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Drinkwitz may be a legitimate option. He has ties to AU thru Gus. Maybe they  will start the ball rolling on firing Freeze and then put the full court press on Drinkwitz. Kick the tires and make him say no

So you want to hire the guy that had 3 losing seasons before he had a winning one instead of just keep the guy that has at very least broken even this year...the first after putting out a tire fire on arrival? I guess the fact he lost his 2 bowl games so far makes it like comfort food?

I'm sorry, I just ran out of words the forum will allow me to post.

2020 Missouri 5–5 5–5 3rd (East) Music City[n 1]    
2021 Missouri 6–7 3–5 T-4th (East) L Armed Forces    
2022 Missouri 6–7 3–5 T-4th (East) L Gasparilla    
2023 Missouri 9–2 5–2 2nd (East)      
Missouri: 26–21 16–17

And in a parting shot, this is for the East....THE EAST!!!!

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Game plan and preparation explains why we came out flat and unmotivated. The inability to come back after being hit in the mouth is on a mix of talent and a lack of upperclassmen that have emerged as leaders. Those things are largely on Harsin. Aside from redshirts, our seniors’ years were Covid year that ended up with Gus getting fired, Harsin year that ended in a massive and unacceptable losing streak once Bo went out with an injury, and an absolutely abysmal year where Harsin didn’t even finish the season. Our players have mostly never seen a three game SEC conference win streak before the Arkansas game. They certainly weren’t taught how to fight, scratch, and claw for a win under Harsin. 
Freeze said multiple times last week (in what didn’t sound like coach’s speak) that he was a little concerned about the game because he was worried about how they were responding. Either he didn’t sell the team well enough on those concerns or he didn’t sell his coaches on the importance of having the players  prepared. That’s caused us to come out uninspired, and that’s on freeze. But, if we had a competent head coach the previous 2 years, those players would’ve rallied by the second quarter or at least halftime. Seriously, what kind of players get hit in the mouth by a lesser team and just roll over like they did, especially players who dominated the week before?

By the way, Asante essentially said as much in his interview. He said they were riding high after how they beat Arkansas and that they didn’t put enough stock in Hugh’s warnings that this wasn’t going to be a pushover.  He even blamed himself, saying he saw it all over the team and he was just as guilty of it. 

5 hours ago, bishoptf said:

I think that is part of the issue, you choose to look ahead..to what? You'll let CHF do his job, so far this year he has not done a great job, all I hear is a bunch of excuses. I don't disagree that there is not much we can do, but to blindly accept that CHF is going to get things turned around is just hoping for the best, maybe he does and maybe he doesn't. I think most ( i get it that there are some that don't) want him to succeed since it means the program is where we all want it to be. I don't see it as whining or stomping of feet but folks concerned and questioning if CHF is the right person for the job. It's a fair question and like you said its not going to change but it is a fair question when we made history Saturday afternoon.

I will also state that I supported Harsin up to a point since you want the team to succeed, I think most of us choose to look ahead but after Harsin and now that dumpster fire last Saturday it makes you question if CHF will actually turn anything around except for recruiting... 

Well said. I haven’t been here long but its the first board I’ve been on that people actively discourage conversation just because it’s something they don’t wanna hear…its a discussion board right? 

I wasn’t a fan of the Freeze hire and I have my doubts about where he will take us BUT…I will never ever hope for Auburn to lose. I take zero satisfaction in what happened Saturday and WANT Freeze to succeed. That doesn’t mean I won’t criticize or discuss things I see from him/his staff. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gman87 said:

So you want to hire the guy that had 3 losing seasons before he had a winning one instead of just keep the guy that has at very least broken even this year...the first after putting out a tire fire on arrival? I guess the fact he lost his 2 bowl games so far makes it like comfort food?

I'm sorry, I just ran out of words the forum will allow me to post.

Relax. I was being sarcastic. I'm probably the last person on this board who would think Freeze needs to be fired. As most on here will vouch for me on that. 

1 hour ago, Headland Tiger said:

Well said. I haven’t been here long but its the first board I’ve been on that people actively discourage conversation just because it’s something they don’t wanna hear…its a discussion board right? 

I wasn’t a fan of the Freeze hire and I have my doubts about where he will take us BUT…I will never ever hope for Auburn to lose. I take zero satisfaction in what happened Saturday and WANT Freeze to succeed. That doesn’t mean I won’t criticize or discuss things I see from him/his staff. 

Gotta be positive when it calls for it too (if you are being even handed). Many Freeze non-suporters are not. JS.

11 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

The effort showed last Saturday is not on Hardin and Gus. It was an embarrassment for Auburn and its fans. Gus and Harsin never got beat that badly by a less talented, power 5 team. 

The heck it’s not. Prime talent does not need to be ridden like a dog to perform. They are prime talent for a reason. 

10 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

The heck it’s not. Prime talent does not need to be ridden like a dog to perform. They are prime talent for a reason. 

So how do u explain last years results. A one dimensional Auburn team beat WKY handily last year . Auburn talent is rated the same as last year and WKY was a much more talented team than NMST. Auburn shouldn’t be losing to the NMSt ‘s of the world . Especially by three touchdowns at home. Records are made to be broken but man why did it Have to be Auburn on the receiving end. 

*the difference is Caddy had those young men prepared

Edited by e808

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

So how do u explain last years results. A one dimensional Auburn team beat WKY handily last year . Auburn talent is rated the same as last year and WKY was a much more talented team than NMST. Auburn shouldn’t be losing to the NMSt ‘s of the world . Especially by three touchdowns at home. Records are made to be broken but man why did it Have to be Auburn on the receiving end. 

New players(not prime talent). New system. New coaches. This season has had some real growing pains. 

Caddy had no agenda other than playing hard. That was not a future plan. But Caddy is still here. Why can’t he fire them up now? 

Get me a roster full of 5 stars, and we won’t have these issues. That was the point of mentioning “prime talent”. 
As long as CHF continues to recruit well, we will be competitive in the future. 
Saturday stunk. But I don’t live and die with AU football. We will be fine. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 4:16 PM, TeamZero77 said:

Sorry, you're lazy and hate to read.

Oh, so the excuses of "he only lost his last 4 games last year because he was focused on this Auburn job" are being changed to hurt QB's now? Kiffin was flirting with Auburn and also lost his last 4 games last year but it was because "he's a loser and was only good because talent at Alabama."

Some folks will spin and spin to keep from admitting the obvious.

Man you just need to go take a nap and wake up next year  when we are much better.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

New players(not prime talent). New system. New coaches. This season has had some real growing pains. 

Caddy had no agenda other than playing hard. That was not a future plan. But Caddy is still here. Why can’t he fire them up now? 

Get me a roster full of 5 stars, and we won’t have these issues. That was the point of mentioning “prime talent”. 
As long as CHF continues to recruit well, we will be competitive in the future. 
Saturday stunk. But I don’t live and die with AU football. We will be fine. 

Eh I thin ATM may beg to differ with that, there are plenty of programs with proper talent that go no where...its not just having the talent its also being able to coach, I mean dumbo fisher is proof of that...so to say 5 stars will make it better is not always correct, maybe if we had 5 star players we woiuld have at least beat NMSU but I've seen to many teams with good talent not perform. It sure does help but you still have to be able to coach. I mean they just let fisher go and owed him like I dunno crazy money and he recruited really well and had some really good players, you got to have the right coach to make it all work...

I hope your right in regards to AU being fine, but getting the players doesnt make it a sure thing...

Edited by bishoptf
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, e808 said:

I would say the team we played this year is quite a bit better than WKU last year. That team lost 13-40 to Troy and was up and down all season. The NMSU team was on an 8 game win streak (now 9). 

As for the difference in our team in those 2 games… It was totally different. Last year, going into that WKU game, we’d pulled off an upset of TAMU, freed ourselves of Harsin, and were trying to fight our way into bowl eligibility. The players had a reason to be up for that game. Even then, it wasn’t that pretty of a game. It was 17-17 at halftime. We just ran away with it in the second half. 

This year, rather than needing the win versus NMSU, we took playing them for granted. Beating 3 SEC teams in a row, our players did not think a group of 5 team would put up any fight against us. When they did, our players didn’t find themselves and fight back. 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Headland Tiger said:

I don’t think anyone wants to discourage rational conversation. But there’s a massive difference between talking about legitimate concerns and making illogical panic statements like “freeze is worse than Harsin.” I’ve been one of the biggest critics of it on this forum the last few days. I’m criticizing people that are drawing way too many and way too intense conclusions from one bad game. Jury is still out on freeze. For me , it’s mainly that it took surprisingly long to get things on track. We can and probably should talk about that kind of stuff. But saying he’s been a failure is not grounded in reality. He’s recruiting better than we have in years. And, prior to this game, we showed flashes of a more complete team than we’ve shown in a long time. So these statements are  grounded in overreaction to the last game, not reality. That serves no purpose. All it does is create potentially unnecessary doom and gloom and further divides the fanbase. Thus, that s*** should get called out and actively discouraged.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1