2024 3* Georgia St Transfer WR Robert Lewis Commits To AU!! (Threads Merged)

Paladin

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

BANG

He is dynamic.  He and Lacy were identified as who we wanted as the slot guy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He is dynamic.  He and Lacy were identified as who we wanted as the slot guy. 

Big fan of his game. Hope it translates to even half of the production he had.

• Like 2

Auburn added a commitment from transfer WR Robert Lewis.

Jason Caldwell3 mins

Still looking to turn over the wide receiver room in an effort to get more talented on the outside, Coach Hugh Freeze and Auburn picked up a huge piece for the 2024 season when Georgia State wide receiver transfer Robert Lewis chose the Tigers following a weekend visit.

"It was just the good hospitality that they all had," Lewis told Auburn Undercover. "It seemed like it was a real family-oriented program. Just a lot of things that caught my eye and I feel like it can be a perfect fit. With everything that the coaches had for me in the scheme and the offense, it just seemed like it was a perfect fit."

Playing in an offense last season that threw for just 2,411 yards with 17 touchdowns through the air, Lewis put up some huge numbers for the Panthers. In 12 games he caught 70 passes for 877 yards and seven touchdowns. That included a 97-yard touchdown catch against Charlotte. In that game he had six catches for 220 yards and two touchdowns. Lewis had six or more receptions in six games last year with a season high 12 catches at Georgia Southern. 

It continued his strong development at the position after playing in just two games with no catches as a freshman in 2020 and catching 10 balls for just 67 yards a year later. Finally getting his shot in 2022, Lewis caught 19 passes for 334 yards and five touchdowns before his breakout season this year.

As soon as Lewis got a chance to connect with Auburn wide receivers coach Marcus Davis, he knew the Plains was where he wanted to be.

"Just when me and my Coach Davis were one-on-one talking football in his office," Lewis said. "Just about the role I would have in the receiver room with the new guys coming in. Saying that I would be the perfect example to pave the way for them. They’re trying to rebuild the program with the receivers around. Just me being a transfer portal guy, showing my leadership and my maturity level and how to get things done."

Playing the last three seasons for the Panthers, Lewis has one year of eligibility remaining and should be an important player for the Tigers after losing several other pieces and trying to revamp the receiver room.

Auburn has four commitments at receiver in the 2024 class, with Lewis a guy that Davis already trusts to be a leader for.

"It was quite important to me. I’m not really the one to be too vocal about anything, I just go out there and work," Lewis said. "But that was one of the challenges for me to be more vocal within the receiver room. Set the standard, set the pace. That’s a challenge I have to take on and something I look forward to doing."

Lewis will enroll in January. His message to the fans?

"To the Auburn fans, I appreciate the love and just the hospitality you have on the beautiful campus," Lewis said. "Next year, I hope that we exceed expectations and what everyone else has to say, the naysayers, just know that I’m going to do everything that I have to do on the field and off the field to make Auburn the perfect place."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• toddc changed the title to Auburn Lands WR Transfer Robert Lewis
Just now, toddc said:

Auburn lands commitment from Georgia State WR transfer Robert Lewis

Auburn added a commitment from transfer WR Robert Lewis.

Jason Caldwell3 mins

Still looking to turn over the wide receiver room in an effort to get more talented on the outside, Coach Hugh Freeze and Auburn picked up a huge piece for the 2024 season when Georgia State wide receiver transfer Robert Lewis chose the Tigers following a weekend visit.

"It was just the good hospitality that they all had," Lewis told Auburn Undercover. "It seemed like it was a real family-oriented program. Just a lot of things that caught my eye and I feel like it can be a perfect fit. With everything that the coaches had for me in the scheme and the offense, it just seemed like it was a perfect fit."

Playing in an offense last season that threw for just 2,411 yards with 17 touchdowns through the air, Lewis put up some huge numbers for the Panthers. In 12 games he caught 70 passes for 877 yards and seven touchdowns. That included a 97-yard touchdown catch against Charlotte. In that game he had six catches for 220 yards and two touchdowns. Lewis had six or more receptions in six games last year with a season high 12 catches at Georgia Southern. 

It continued his strong development at the position after playing in just two games with no catches as a freshman in 2020 and catching 10 balls for just 67 yards a year later. Finally getting his shot in 2022, Lewis caught 19 passes for 334 yards and five touchdowns before his breakout season this year.

As soon as Lewis got a chance to connect with Auburn wide receivers coach Marcus Davis, he knew the Plains was where he wanted to be.

"Just when me and my Coach Davis were one-on-one talking football in his office," Lewis said. "Just about the role I would have in the receiver room with the new guys coming in. Saying that I would be the perfect example to pave the way for them. They’re trying to rebuild the program with the receivers around. Just me being a transfer portal guy, showing my leadership and my maturity level and how to get things done."

Playing the last three seasons for the Panthers, Lewis has one year of eligibility remaining and should be an important player for the Tigers after losing several other pieces and trying to revamp the receiver room.

Auburn has four commitments at receiver in the 2024 class, with Lewis a guy that Davis already trusts to be a leader for.

"It was quite important to me. I’m not really the one to be too vocal about anything, I just go out there and work," Lewis said. "But that was one of the challenges for me to be more vocal within the receiver room. Set the standard, set the pace. That’s a challenge I have to take on and something I look forward to doing."

Lewis will enroll in January. His message to the fans?

"To the Auburn fans, I appreciate the love and just the hospitality you have on the beautiful campus," Lewis said. "Next year, I hope that we exceed expectations and what everyone else has to say, the naysayers, just know that I’m going to do everything that I have to do on the field and off the field to make Auburn the perfect place."

Thanks for creating a thread. Very Missouri about this.

• Like 3

• Zeek changed the title to Georgia State WR Robert Lewis Commits to AU!
14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thanks for creating a thread. Very Missouri about this.

I understand the trepidation but he's good. I don't know how he will translate to the SEC, but he's more consistent than anything else we have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 3* Georgia St WR Robert Lewis Commits To AU!! (Threads Merged)
  • ellitor featured and pinned this topic
44 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

He’s a slot guy?  Seems like we have plenty of those; unless we expect JJ and Fair to transfer?

Any ones that are productive?

3 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Does this mean we might miss on other WR targets? Would really like a WR with SEC experience, like Sheppard.

@KansasTiger No. It means RL was a top target immediately on our staff's board.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Robert Lewis @Robert1K_ for inclusion on the Biletnikoff Award Watch List! The Biletnikoff Award recognizes the college football season's outstanding FBS receiver at any position.

This was October 5th on Twitter.  He is good!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sthrndream said:

Congratulations to Robert Lewis @Robert1K_ for inclusion on the Biletnikoff Award Watch List! The Biletnikoff Award recognizes the college football season's outstanding FBS receiver at any position.

This was October 5th on Twitter.  He is good!

Here's another link:  2023 Biletnikoff Watch List

• Like 1

I hope he balls out for us but I'm cautiously optimistic. Most of us were expecting Jayire Shorter and Shane Hooks to do big things here and they didn't really contribute anything in the grand scheme of things. Hooks looked great grabbing one-handed TD's in practice but couldn't make two-handed catches in games. 

I think most of us are cautiously optimistic of a G-5 WR transfer with good stats coming here and doing much. After this season, who can blame us? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

One question. Can he catch the ball consistently? 

giphy.gif

Exactly!!! Go back to last year when we picked up Shorter and Hooks in the portal and read what everybody was predicting. We literally had AU writers and also a few here predicting Hooks would go over 1,000 yards receiving for 2023. 

I've been duped enough by the portal, mainly G-5 transfers, that I'm taking a "wait and see" approach from now on. 

• Like 2