12.19.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Asante coming back in 2024 and ready to work

Jason Caldwell
7–8 minutes

• SALE! 50% Off AuburnUndercover Annual VIP Membership today!

• Solomon Williams

Auburn's Eugene Asante talks about returning next year and what went into the decision.

AUBURN, Alabama˜--’Let’s work’ has been the mantra of the Auburn football program since they took the field for the first time under Hugh Freeze and that will continue with Eugene Asante’s announcement that he’s returning for the 2024 season. The guy that got that saying started this season, Asante is excited about finishing strong in a bowl game and about what’s next for the Auburn program.

“The biggest thing was I want to build something special here,” Asante said. “The biggest thing to me was we seen those historic teams, the 2010 team. That 2004 team with coach Cadillac. I really do believe we can do something like that. I’m working towards that, personally, (and) I’m going to demand that out of the team. This offseason, we’re going to put our best foot forward and be the best we can be for Auburn. 

“This place deserves that, the fans deserve it. A lot of people interact with me on social media, and I actually like to respond and let them know how I feel. A lot of people truly do believe in us and believe in what we’re building, so I want to put my best foot forward for them. I feel like they deserve that. That was the biggest thing for me coming back, trying to build something special.”

Playing sparingly while also working on the scout teams last season, Asante had a breakout season for the Tigers in 2023 with 84 tackles, 5.0 sacks and 8.5 tackles for a loss in 12 games. In the first year of Ron Roberts’ aggressive scheme, Asante said he feels like another year in the system will allow him and the defense to take the next step.

“The way coach Roberts calls it, he wants his backers coming downhill and attacking,” Asante said. “We’re not flat-footed sitting there and just waiting for offensive linemen to run up to us. We’re engaging and striking offensive linemen and striking tight ends and blitzing and coming from anywhere. It’s certainly something I really do enjoy. He’s unique in how he calls it. He’s a unique defensive coordinator and he’s one of the best in the business.”

Saying that he wants to improve in every area as a player between now and next season, Asante said year two of the defense is something that should help everyone as they try to keep progressing.

“I felt that growing throughout the season,” Asante said of the familiarity needed to be comfortable in a system. “Another selling point about coming back was, ‘Eugene, you’re so comfortable in the defense but imagine how comfortable you’ll be next year being in the system and knowing all the calls and it not being a first-year defense.’ It’s certainly something that will help me tremendously being out there. I understand that, truthfully, the development from year one to year two. Not just my personal development, but year one to year two as a team.”

With his decision behind him and focused on the future, Asante said a big part of things for him was the direction he got from Hugh Freeze throughout the process. Going back and forth before ultimately choosing to return, Asante said the head coach was extremely helpful in the process.

“One thing I do respect about coach Freeze, and I can tell by some of the things I’ve seen, he’s a straight shooter and he’ll tell you the truth,” Asante said. “He’ll let you know. He cares for his players. It’s a healthy balance of saying, ‘Eugene, I want you to come back.’ But if it’s not the best decision for me, he’ll let me know. He just gave me feedback about what the scouts were saying in terms of play and my production and just saying that (a) second year in the scheme could help me a lot, in terms of the draft and where I would go.

“He just wanted to have me back in terms of building the culture of this team. I heard his words, and they sat dear to my heart. I ultimately made that decision and I’m 100% confident in the decision I made. I’m grateful to be back and build this thing for next year.”

Keionte Scott moving to cornerback for final season at Auburn

Scott’s ability to make the move quickly before the Music City Bowl is crucial at a position that was hit hard by the NFL draft

A major part of Auburn’s defensive blueprint for 2024 has already settled into place during this month’s bowl practices.

Rising fifth-year senior defensive back Keionte Scott, who will return next season in favor of the NFL draft, will make the move from nickel to cornerback for his final college season in 2024.

“That will definitely be the plan,” Scott told reporters Monday. “It will start with this game in the bowl game, where I’ll be back on the outside on that island. I’m excited for it.”

Scott’s ability to make the move quickly before Auburn takes on Maryland in the Music City Bowl is crucial for the Tigers at a position that was hit hard by the NFL draft. Starting corners D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett are turning pro, and both have opted out of the bowl game.

True freshman Kayin Lee, who was Auburn’s No. 3 cornerback most of the season, will start across from Scott against the Terrapins, with players like J.D. Rhym, Colton Hood and JC Hart set for increased roles.

“Everyone understands what has to happen now, and everyone’s taking about it very seriously,” Scott said. “You’re seeing some guys elevate.”

Scott primarily played cornerback at Snow College, where he was an All-American and was the No. 4 JUCO overall prospect in the 2022 class.

“That was my first home, so I’m very excited to get back outside and get back on ‘Key Island,’” Scott said.

Part of Scott’s decision to come back to Auburn was that he would have the opportunity to get a season of playing high-level cornerback under his belt, after already showing NFL teams what he can do at nickel the past two seasons.

“That was definitely my head process of ways I could excel with the pros of coming back,” Scott said. “That was a big one — was being able to go outside with two years of film on the inside. … When you get to be able to use the sideline as your friend, I feel like it helps me more because I've gone from having to guys with so much space to guarding guys that if I do win a certain leverage that I can force them to one side and basically turn it to a one side release. I'm definitely excited to get back outside and get some sideline help and my eyes on the ball.”

With his move away from the nickel or “star” position, veteran Donovan Kaufman will be the top option to fill the void for Scott — both in the bowl game and next season. Champ Anthony, Sylvester Smith and Tyler Scott have also been playing nickel in bowl practices.

Auburn’s bowl practices will take a break Friday for Christmas, then reconvene Dec. 26 to travel to Nashville for the Music City Bowl.

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

• Like 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Miami transfer TE Jaleel Skinner 'really enjoyed' his visit to Auburn

JD McCarthy
~2 minutes

With it looking unlikely that Auburn will sign a high school tight end in the 2024 recruiting cycle, they have decided to dip into the transfer portal to add some youth to the position.

Former Miami Hurricane Jaleel Skinner has become the top target and he took an official visit to the Plains over the weekend. The trip reminded him of his hometown and made quite an impression on him.

“It’s been fun,” Skinner told Auburn Undercover’s Christian Clemente. “Auburn, this is the first time I’ve ever been down here and I was like telling my dad riding around and experiencing it all it looks like Greer (South Carolina) to me. It looks like home. I really enjoyed my time here.”

Skinner spent two seasons in Miami and after redshirting his sophomore season will have three seasons of eligibility at his next stop, making him an ideal fit for a room that will feature three seniors (Rivaldo Fairweather, luke deal, Brandon Frazier) and one redshirt sophomore (Micah Riley) next season.

Auburn is Skinner’s only visit so far but he was willing to name then his early leader.

“Auburn’s up there at the top by itself,” he said.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15

theplainsman.com

Auburn lands transfer defensive lineman from Kansas

~2 minutes

Auburn added to its 2024 roster as Gage Keys, a transfer defensive lineman from the University of Kansas, committed to the Tigers.

Keys, a 6-foot-5-inch, 290-pounder, hails from Hilliard, Ohio. Auburn will be his third college, following Minnesota and Kansas. Keys played in 12 games for the Jayhawks in 2023, totaling 21 tackles with 13 solo tackles. Keys also had four quarterback hurries for the Jayhawks.

Auburn defensive lineman Marcus Harris, now headed to the NFL Draft, also came to the Tigers from Kansas. Keys, a graduate transfer, has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn lands transfer defensive lineman from Kansas” on social media.

247sports.com

Auburns top passcatcher Rivaldo Fairweather to return next season

Nathan King
3–4 minutes

Auburn is getting its top pass-catcher back for its 2024 offense.

Tight end Rivaldo Fairweather will return for his final college season next year in favor of the NFL draft, he told local reporters Monday.

The FIU transfer became the top target for Payton Thorne and the Auburn passing game, finishing the regular season as the team's leader in catches (33), yards (349) and touchdowns (six). He had five of his touchdowns in the last six games of the season, and was named second team All-SEC by the Associated Press.

"Next year obviously the goal is to be first team and be the No. 1 tight end in the nation," Fairweather said.

Fairweather had one of Auburn's most important plays of the season — one that, in hindsight, may be the reason Auburn is going to a bowl game — when he broke an offensive dry spell for the Tigers at Cal by catching the go-ahead touchdown with 6:31 remaining in the 14-10 win.

Auburn's receiving corps was inconsistent most of the year, but Fairweather was able to help, playing 68.7 of his snaps split out separate from the line of scrimmage, per Pro Football Focus.

The 6-foot-4, 251-pounder did not report a Senior Bowl invite. Fairweather does not appear on many NFL draft boards, and he's currently rated by ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. as the No. 7 fullback/upback, not tight end.

"I just felt like I left a lot of food on the table," Fairweather said. "It's unfinished business here. I know Coach Freeze has a great plan for us here and that we will be way better than we were last year. Last year was just the first step and this year I feel like we're going to take a second step and definitely make that 12-team playoff for next year."

Fairweather joins defensive back Keionte Scott and linebacker Eugene Asante as potential NFL declarations to announce their return to Auburn next season.

"Me and Payton, we only had like what, the spring together?" Fairweather said. "We just had the fall together so we didn't really have a lot of time to talk about the small little details and how Payton likes — the top of his routes sometimes he wants to roll into it or just give him a move. We're going to have that connection next year because I know Payton is going to be great and I'm not worried about bringing a transfer in or whatever. When we get all these other small pieces like what's coming in at receiver and build around this team, it's going to be great for us. We're going to be really good in the passing game."

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

• Like 1

al.com

With Hugh Freeze’s vote of confidence, Auburn QB Payton Thorne is looking to 2024

Updated: Dec. 18, 2023, 1:04 p.m.|Published: Dec. 18, 2023, 12:58 p.m.
6–7 minutes

Payton Thorne transferred to Auburn in May with two years of eligibility and was uncertain whether he would use them both. Auburn’s starting quarterback wanted to finish his first season in the SEC with the ability to decide whether to stay or leave again now as a graduate transfer.

But when Auburn’s offense struggled through the 2023 season — it was the worst in the SEC and 8th worst nationally by passing yards per game — it convinced him that he wanted to stay here and make things work — not jump ship to somewhere that might be easier.

And when Auburn head coach sat down with Thorne “a few weeks ago,” it cemented Thorne’s choice to stay. Freeze was committing to him as his quarterback going into the 2024 season. As Freeze said Saturday, he doesn’t plan on bringing in a transfer portal quarterback to supplant Thorne.

“We’re on the same page, and I think things are going well right now,” Thorne said Monday. “I really enjoy playing for Coach Freeze, and I’m excited for what the future’s going to hold. I want to come back another year, and that’s what I told him. We had a good talk and I’m excited for where we’re headed.”

Thorne’s road at Auburn began truly at the beginning of fall camp — his first time practicing with Auburn. He was quickly thrust into the new playbook and with new receivers, many of which were still inexperienced, too.

He earned the starting quarterback job in a competition with Robby Ashford, who has entered the transfer portal since the end of the 2023 regular season. But Thorne and Ashford were stuck in a quarterback rotation throughout Auburn’s first seven games of the season which ultimately culminated in Ashford starting against Ole Miss. But it was after the Ole Miss loss, Auburn’s fourth in a row, where Freeze stepped into a larger role in game-planning with the offense and in turn eliminated the two-QB system.

That decision led to the best stretch of offense Auburn had all year.

“I think toward the second half of the year, you got a glimpse of what we could be,” Thorne said. “It still wasn’t perfect; we can still be a lot better than what we were. I think that’s what we’re going to be next year. I can say there are different pieces at receiver, guys that got here the same time I did, not a ton of experience in that area. I think we’re going to clean things up a lot, and it’s going to be a lot better for a lot of us.”

The improvement Auburn had under Throne despite an underwhelming group of receivers is why Freeze has decided to gamble on Thorne one more time going into next season.

Freeze believes if he can get improved talent around Thorne, the offense will take the next step. Auburn is expecting to sign a high-profile class of receivers headlined by five-star recruits Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson.

Thorne said he met with the receiver recruits who were on campus Sunday at Auburn’s practice and for the basketball game against USC. That group included 5-star Alabama commit Ryan Williams.

Getting those guys on campus and in Aubrun uniforms will help his confidence, Thorne said. He said he will have receivers he can confidently throw the ball up to and know they can make a play. He said it reminds him of his 2021 Michigan State offense where he could throw the ball up to now Green Bay Packers receiver Jayden Reed and future first-round pick Keon Coleman. Thorne threw for more than 3,000 yards that season in what was the best year of his collegiate career.

“I think we’re going to have some guys that can run next year,” Throne said. “Take the top off. I won’t know until January, February when we really get these guys here. Gotta finish up Signing Day to know 100% who we got here. We’ll see, probably taking another transfer I would assume. Get those guys here. See what their skills are, what their strengths are and move from them. I’d love to throw the ball downfield and get some big plays like that year as well. I’m sure we will.”

Thorne’s only concern comes with the inexperience of the freshman group. As he said approaching his 39th college start in the Music City Bowl against Maryland on Dec. 30, he has seen almost everything college football can bring. That’s why he mentioned Auburn bringing in another wide receiver transfer on top of former Georgia State receiver Robert Lewis.

Yet no matter which receivers Thorne has, he’ll go into next season with the confidence of knowing he’s the starter — something he didn’t truly have this fall. It makes it easier to become a leader of the offense, to gain a broad, detailed sense of the playbook and to have the rest of his offense look to him without question of who will be calling the shots.

“Just to take charge and act like I am the guy,” Thorne said. “That’s what I had thought, and what ended up coming to be. I think that helps more for the other guys that there’s no questioning. There’s not ‘Oh, is this guy this, this, or this?’ and I don’t know how much of that there way or not, but going into the offseason, when I say something to a receiver, he knows ‘Hey, I should probably get on the same page with this guy.’”

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

From an Auburn football mom’s point of view: ‘I know they’re going to care for my son’

Updated: Dec. 18, 2023, 8:41 a.m.|Published: Dec. 18, 2023, 8:30 a.m.
5–6 minutes

Amy White has four sons – two of which played sports for the University of Arkansas, which is less than three hours from the White residence in Little Rock.

So when her fourth son, Walker White, received an offer from Arkansas to play football, it felt familiar. It also left her feeling a bit hopeful that she’d be keeping her youngest boy close to home throughout his college years.

“Obviously, a mom always wants her kids close,” Amy White said in an interview with AL.com.

That said, White, like most moms, also wants to see her kids make whatever decision they believe is best for them – even if it means traveling all over the country to visit different college campuses for their child to come to that decision.

On the heels of the holidays back in January of 2023, in the span of just 12 days, Walker White and his family visited four different college campuses: Auburn on Jan. 16, Arkansas on Jan. 21, Baylor on Jan. 22 and Clemson on Jan. 28.

“I remember I was only home like 11 days last January because we were gone so much,” Amy White said.

But all the running around paid off. By the end of January, Walker White was ready to make his decision.

Unlike his two older brothers and father, all who played sports at Arkansas, Walker White wasn’t going to play for the Hogs.

He wanted to be an Auburn Tiger.

And once Walker White came to that decision, his family was right behind him with 10 toes down.

When Walker White was ready to announce his commitment, his mother first had to pay a visit to a friend’s house, as they were Auburn fans and had Tigers gear the Whites could borrow for the occasion.

“I grabbed like eight t-shirts,” Amy White said.

Now, 10 months later, Walker White is approaching the day he’ll sign his name on the dotted line of his national letter of intent, locking in the decision he announced this past February.

And while excited, as Wednesday’s signing day approaches, so does the reality that Amy White’s youngest son is about to move more than seven hours away from home.

“I mean, to be honest, that’s been kind of hard for me,” Amy White said.

But the likes of head coach Hugh Freeze, offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery and the rest of Auburn’s coaching staff have done all they can to assure Walker White’s family that he’s in good hands.

It started during the White family’s first visit Auburn in January of 2023, and it continues with each interaction.

Freeze, Montgomery and Auburn’s defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett paid Walker and the rest of the White family an in-home visit for dinner on Dec. 13.

“It’s just like your best friend coming over for dinner,” Amy White said of Freeze and his assistant coaches visiting. “I mean, it’s like anybody you’d want to come over. It’s so laid back.”

While dinner was being prepared, Auburn’s coaches sat around the fire pit in the White family’s backyard with Walker and his siblings.

“We all just visited, talked Auburn football, talked about Walker and what to expect for Walker,” Amy White said. “Walker was asking questions about how to be as a team member. He wants to be the best team member.”

When it came time for Auburn’s coaches to leave, however, Walker White had one request for Freeze.

A member of the same family of Auburn fans who let the Whites borrow t-shirts for Walker’s commitment was celebrating a birthday that evening. So Walker asked if Freeze would mind hopping on a FaceTime call with him to wish him a happy birthday.

Freeze did.

But before Auburn’s head coach could hang up, the fan jokingly asked if Freeze would sing him “Happy Birthday,” to which Freeze said he’d only do if Walker’s parents joined in.

“So we sang ‘Happy Birthday’,” Amy White said.

And while little things like that might not seem like much, they stick out to a mom who’s getting ready to send her youngest son several states away.

“I know that I’ve developed a relationship with these guys who are likeminded like us,” Amy White said. “So I can trust them. They love the Lord like we love the Lord. And I know they’re going to care for my son.”

Walker White is set to sign his letter intent on Wednesday. He’ll then go play in the 2024 All-American Bowl in San Antonio Texas on Jan. 6.

And come Jan. 8, he’ll be moving in at Auburn.

“I will tell you this: I would not choose anything else for him,” Amy White said. “It’s a perfect fit. Hugh Freeze, (Philip) Montgomery, they are just so down to Earth and they love my boy – and they love all these boys. They have a heart for all these players. They’re not just a number, they’re a person.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

@aubiefifty according to local radio Rivaldo made his return decision only after learning of your decision to be here next year.

that was my funny way of wishing everyone merry christmas and it even said merry christmas and it was deleted. i asked why and nothing.