12.30.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Auburn excited to use new technology in Nashville

Jason Caldwell
5–6 minutes

Auburn football takes on Maryland in the Music City Bowl.

NASHVILLE, Tennessee—In this year’s bowl games, some teams have had the options of using technology as a test run for potentially moving forward in the college game. One of those is Auburn, who will be using sideline tablets like NFL teams have available for use in between series on both offense and defense.

It’s something that coach Hugh Freeze said he’s not real sure how it’s going to work out, but he’s excited to see if it’s something that can be beneficial for them while also giving decision makers some feedback for potential changes to the college game moving forward.

“We'll take the tablets, so we are taking and using the tablets,” Freeze said. “Curious to see how that goes on the sideline. Obviously, it's not something that we're going to get to practice with, really, until the game. So that's always awkward, for me to feel, like, great about it.

“I plan to go over and do that. But it'll be interesting. I'm sure Payton can (use it). It'll be difficult for me to utilize, because I'm flipping back and forth between offense and defense and paying attention to the situations. Our coaches on the sideline will hopefully be able to see things. I do hope that's something that's permanent. For sure. I don't know why anyone would be against that, unless it's a cost issue for certain conferences.”

Watching NFL games and seeing quarterbacks come to the sidelines and be able to look at certain coverages or defensive fronts they are getting during a particular series, Payton Thorne said he believes it’s something that can really help the game moving forward.

“I think it could be cool for college football,” Thorne said. “College is kind of behind the NFL and high school in terms of technology usage. The biggest thing I want is the iPads, or the Surfaces, on the sideline. I think we have that, so that's what I heard. That'd be cool to see next year for college, but I don't know where all that stands, to be honest.”

Auburn also had the option to use helmet communication like teams have available in the NFL. While Maryland decided it was something they would try this week, Freeze said he just wasn’t comfortable making such a drastic change in such a short period of time.

“The helmet is a whole different deal,” Freeze said. “This is kind of an 'above me' discussion. Truthfully, the idea alone, with us being able to communicate with our quarterback, I like. I think it's something that will help with some of the signal issues we're having, and obviously, everybody's trying to pick off your signals during games. It's just part of the game. But I do think that can help.

“It was just a lot of things in a short amount of time to try to process,” he added. “I said, 'Look, I'm OK. We've signaled now for 12 games. I think we'll be OK for a bowl game.' It doesn't bother me at all if Maryland chooses to do that. It just felt like an awful lot of conversations were having to be had, and I was in the middle of recruiting and trying to get ready for a bowl game, and I didn't want to meet with these different manufacturers. I just said, 'It's just not that important to me for a bowl game.'”

Auburn and Maryland kick off at 1 p.m. on Saturday on ABC.

Clemente's Confidential: Quick hitters from the Under Armour All-America Game

Notes and other pieces of information from Orlando.

ORLANDO, Florida — It was a jam-packed day in The Sunshine State with five of Auburn's six representatives in the Under Armour All-America Game reporting for Media Day, with Jamonta Waller set to arrive shortly after Media Day concluded. 5-star Alabama wide receiver commit Ryan Williams also was in attendance.

Auburn Undercover had stories on Perry Thompson, Cam Coleman, Williams' official visit schedule and the push that Williams is receiving from different Auburn angles on Friday. Plenty more stories are on the way in the coming days, too. 

But to wrap up Day 1 of the annual event, I thought it was fitting to provide some quick hitters and other notes from the day. Now that everyone is signed — besides Williams — it allows players to go a little more in-depth on what the recruiting process was like. Untold stories, what did they like, what did they not like and more. 

Some behind-the-scenes notes from Auburn's signees:

To read this full article and more, subscribe now —

SALE: 60% off first year

Get access to this article and all of the in-depth coverage from the 247Sports Network with this special offer.

Join at 60% off Annual

Already a subscriber? Login

• Like 1

si.com

Auburn Briefing: What does bringing in Sam Jackson V mean for Auburn?

Daniel Locke
~2 minutes

Auburn will see a complete overhaul at wide receiver over the offseason.

The position was one of the weaker groups for Auburn throughout 2023 and Hugh Freeze is looking to change that.

Bringing in Sam Jackson V shows just how committed Freeze is to getting more versatile options for the Tigers' passing game.

Auburn returns to action on Saturday when it takes on the Maryland Terrapins in the TransPerfect Music City Bowl at Nissan Stadium in Nashville. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. CT and the broadcast can be found on ABC.

Auburn basketball update

Auburn's men's basketball team will return to action for its second-to-last non-conference game on Dec. 30 when it hosts the Alabama State Hornets at Neville Arena. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. CT and the broadcast can be found on SEC Network.

Auburn's women's basketball team returns to action for its final non-conference game when it hosts the North Alabama Lions on Dec. 31 at 2 p.m. CT.

Check out the latest podcast

Auburn football could take a huge step forward in 2024 with Hugh Freeze at the helm but they need to accomplish some goals in the process. On today's Locked On Auburn, Zac Blackerby is joined by Mike G of the War Rapport to discuss how Auburn football can be more successful in 2024 is they accomplish these goals.

Recruiting Pages to Bookmark

saturdaydownsouth.com

Hugh Freeze shares message to Auburn players before Music City Bowl

Parker Gillam | 3 days ago
2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze spoke with the media on Wednesday to preview Auburn’s upcoming matchup with Maryland in the Music City Bowl on Saturday.

Freeze was complimentary of Mike Locksley’s program but knows that his team needs to end its season on a high note with a victory.

“We’re not quite the same team that finished the year [referencing opt-outs], but in some ways that’s exciting for kicking off the next year,” Freeze said. “We’re not in the Playoff this year, so it’s an extra game for young kids that we’re going to depend upon.”

He went on to talk about how important it is for the team to play at a high level every time it wears the Auburn jersey, adding that this group has been inconsistent in doing so this season.

When asked about the opt out of Terrapins’ quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa, Freeze said that his team has the benefit of fielding an experienced quarterback in Payton Throne, although there are plenty of missing pieces around him.

“Payton has to play well, and the pieces around him have to play well,” Freeze said. “We’re thin at receiver, so it’ll be interesting to see how we perform with that. But, we’re excited to have Payton who has the experience of playing in bowl games before.”

Auburn and Maryland will square off at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday. The game can be viewed on ABC.

• Like 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

Hugh Freeze shares message to Auburn players before Music City Bowl

Parker Gillam | 3 days ago
2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze spoke with the media on Wednesday to preview Auburn’s upcoming matchup with Maryland in the Music City Bowl on Saturday.

Freeze was complimentary of Mike Locksley’s program but knows that his team needs to end its season on a high note with a victory.

freestar

“We’re not quite the same team that finished the year [referencing opt-outs], but in some ways that’s exciting for kicking off the next year,” Freeze said. “We’re not in the Playoff this year, so it’s an extra game for young kids that we’re going to depend upon.”

He went on to talk about how important it is for the team to play at a high level every time it wears the Auburn jersey, adding that this group has been inconsistent in doing so this season.

When asked about the opt out of Terrapins’ quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa, Freeze said that his team has the benefit of fielding an experienced quarterback in Payton Throne, although there are plenty of missing pieces around him.

“Payton has to play well, and the pieces around him have to play well,” Freeze said. “We’re thin at receiver, so it’ll be interesting to see how we perform with that. But, we’re excited to have Payton who has the experience of playing in bowl games before.”

Auburn and Maryland will square off at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday. The game can be viewed on ABC.

• Like 1

al.com

After a 'run of sickness' early in the week, Freeze gives an update on Auburn's health

Published: Dec. 29, 2023, 1:15 p.m.
2–3 minutes

1. Auburn Football

Hugh Freeze updates health of team after Auburn suffered a ‘run of sickness’ early in the week

Ahead of Auburn’s practice in Nashville on Wednesday, head coach Hugh Freeze said two Tigers’ players were left at the hotel as they dealt with illness.

“We’ve had a run of sickness,” Freeze said Wednesday. “We had a run, last week, of guys missing practice with flu-like symptoms.”

Auburn starting quarterback Payton Thorne was one of the players impacted by the run of sickness last week as he missed a majority of practice with flu-like symptoms.

“I’m feeling pretty good,” Thorne said ahead of Wednesday’s practice. “I don’t think that’ll be an issue moving forward.”

And fortunately for the Tigers, it sounds like more of Auburn’s players are trending in the direction of Thorne as Freeze said he received a favorable report from Auburn’s team doctors on Friday morning.

“Our doctor’s report this morning was that all but one, I think, the fever has broken,” Freeze said Friday afternoon during his joint press conference with Maryland head coach Mike Locksley. “I don’t know how strong they’ll be with things. They’ll have to hydrate really well today.”

Freeze’s comments came just over 24 hours ahead of Auburn’s date with Maryland in the TransPerfect Music City Bowl, which will kick off from Nashville’s Nissan Stadium Saturday at 1 p.m.

“It’s kinda like everything else we’re dealing with... the opt-outs... you know, you can’t control some things,” Freeze said. “But I did have a good report this morning that most everybody was feeling better. I’m sure if at all possible, they’ll try to give it a go.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

How Nick Saban helped Auburn's Freeze and Maryland's Locksley establish a friendship

Published: Dec. 30, 2023, 6:00 a.m.
4–5 minutes

1. Auburn Football

Auburn’s Hugh Freeze and Maryland’s Mike Locksley are pals. Why Alabama’s Nick Saban is to thank

NASHVILLE, TN - 2023.12.29 - Press Conference

NASHVILLE, TN - December 29, 2023 - Auburn Head Coach Hugh Freeze and Maryland Head Coach Mike Locksley speak to the media during a press conference at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center in Nashville, TN. Photo by Austin PerrymanAustin Perryman

Just over 24 hours before leading their teams onto the turf of Nashville’s Nissan Stadium, Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze and Maryland head coach Mike Locksley first sat shoulder to shoulder at a small table fixated in a small room somewhere in the depths of the sprawling Opryland Resort.

Joint press conferences are commonplace ahead of bowl games. And for some head coaches, it can be a bit uncomfortable to field questions about an upcoming game in the presence of the opposing coach.

But in the case of Freeze and Locksley, there was nothing uncomfortable about Friday afternoon’s press conference.

Locksley joked that his daughter Kori’s allegiance to Auburn led to an underwhelming Christmas morning for her.

“I don’t know if you know this, Hugh, but my daughter is an Auburn grad,” Locksley said of Kori, who played on Auburn’s women’s soccer team from 2017-21. “She didn’t get a lot of Christmas gifts, but I hope she’s not rooting for you if she wants the car payment paid for.”

Later in the press conference, the two joked about the availability of Auburn’s new wide receiver transfer in Sam Jackson V, who recently transferred in from Cal, where he played quarterback for the Golden Bears.

“He’s not playing tomorrow, right?” Locksley cracked after hearing Freeze gush about Jackson’s potential.

Freeze and Locksley’s interaction appeared natural. Being pleasant and complimentary of one another didn’t feel forced.

That’s because the two go back a little ways.

“I know Coach Locksley fairly well,” Freeze said during his press conference on Dec. 16. “In the two years I took off, I spent some time there with him when he was up the road at Alabama.”

Right as Freeze was making his turbulent exit from Ole Miss ahead of the 2017 season, Locksley was taking over as Nick Saban’s offensive coordinator at Alabama – a job Freeze was reportedly considered for.

Nonetheless, with Freeze no longer coaching at another SEC program and Locksley fresh off a promotion from offensive analyst to offensive coordinator, Saban didn’t waste time before introducing the two offensive minds.

“It started with (Nick) Saban,” Locksley said. “Coach Saban has a lot of respect for Hugh, as well as myself.”

As Locksley recalls, he and Freeze had “a nice, long meeting” and “shared some offensive philosophical things.”

For two seasons, Locksley served as the Crimson Tide’s offensive coordinator before being hired away to take the head coaching job at Maryland in 2019. In the same stretch of time, Freeze stayed removed from the game until being hired as head coach at Liberty University in 2019.

Now, the pair will face off as head coaches for the first time as Freeze’s Tigers and Locksley’s Terrapins meet in the Music City Bowl on Saturday afternoon at 1.

And while both coaches are looking to add a win to their respective team’s 2023 record, there won’t be love lost between the two.

“It’s all about relationships,” Locksley said. “I’ve gotten to know Hugh really well and one of the guys I respect in this business.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1

al.com

Auburn’s Hugh Freeze suggests Jaylin Simpson, Zion Puckett won’t play in Music City Bowl

Updated: Dec. 29, 2023, 7:53 p.m.|Published: Dec. 29, 2023, 7:49 p.m.
4–5 minutes

Auburn has four starters in the secondary with plans to enter the NFL Draft. It appears none of them will play in the Music City Bowl.

During a Friday night appearance on Auburn’s Tiger Talk radio show, head coach Hugh Freeze said Auburn would be playing “Keionte (Scott) and the kids,” in the secondary against Maryland on Saturday.

In the segment, Freeze mentioned freshmen who have not had to play because of Simpson and Puckett ahead of them on the depth chart and how they would now have to see the field.

He did not directly state whether Simpson and Puckett plan to play. 247Sports reported Friday afternoon that neither will take the field Saturday.

This is not necessarily a so-called opt-out. Simpson has been dealing with a hamstring injury while still practicing for the bowl game.

Freeze has previously stated starting cornerbacks Nehemiah Pritchett and DJ James both opted out of the game.

Freeze also previously stated star defensive tackle Marcus Harris will not play as he prepares for the NFL Draft. Harris has been with Auburn this week in Nashville in support of his teammates.

Simpson and Puckett both initially announced intentions to play in the Music City Bowl before foregoing their remaining eligibility and entering the 2024 NFL Draft.

Days after the Iron Bowl loss to Alabama, Simpson replied to a fan who asked him on Instagram if he planned to play in the Music City Bowl. Simpson responded “Yep”.

Only two days later, news came out Simpson had accepted an invitation to play in The Senior Bowl, which generally is the beginning of a player’s path to the NFL Draft.

But Simpson still appeared on track to play in the bowl game. He had been practicing with Auburn as much as he could — though Simpson was dealing with a hamstring injury. He had never been listed as an opt-out candidate during press conferences with head coach Hugh Freeze.

Same goes for Puckett, who announced his NFL intentions during a conference with reporters during bowl practices in Auburn. His comments suggested it was important to him and Simpson to play together one more time.

“It means a lot because this is both of our last game,” Puckett said on Dec. 19. “And I think the right way is just to finish out strong for Auburn and the family here. I think that’s going to mean a lot to both of us. All the seniors that’s going to play, that’s going to be their last game.”

Simpson and Puckett both took part in Auburn practices ahead of the bowl game, including being in pads and helmets during a period of Auburn’s Nashville practice at Vanderbilt which was open to reporters. Though the two spent much of that period of generally lighter practice allowing younger players to get an opportunity for extra time.

Simpson finished the 2023 season with 36 tackles, four interceptions and seven passes defended. Puckett had 34 tackles, two interceptions and four passes defended.

Simpson was named to the Associated Press All-SEC first team.

The group of Simpson, Puckett, Pritchett and James formed one of the SEC’s best secondaries this season. Auburn allowed 201.7 passing yards per game this season — third-best in the SEC and 32nd-best nationally.

The Music City Bowl will thus be Auburn’s first look at a very young and inexperienced secondary.

Maryland starting quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa — the Big Ten’s all-time leading passer — highlights an equally significant group of opt-outs from Auburn’s opponent in the bowl game.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

• Thanks 1

al.com

‘It’s a risk’: Why Hugh Freeze brought transfer QB Sam Jackson V to Auburn as a WR

Published: Dec. 29, 2023, 1:24 p.m.
4–5 minutes

When he first saw former Cal quarterback Sam Jackson V’s name in the transfer portal, Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze wasn’t going to pursue him. Jackson had already transferred to Cal from TCU and is not a graduate, meaning under previous NCAA rules Jackson would have to sit out next season.

But a December court decision changed things.

The decision made by a West Virginia judge would allow two-time transfers immediate eligibility during a 14-day restraining order. With its hands seemingly tied, the NCAA decided to then extend the 14 days through the 2024 football season, allowing two-time transfers in any sport to make an immediate move to a new school.

That decision meant a player like Jackson was suddenly available to play next fall. With that newfound NCAA-granted flexibility, Freeze went after Jackson.

His commitment and signing with Auburn was announced Wednesday night. Freeze has previously said he plans to roll with returning quarterback Payton Thorne as his top guy for the 2024 season, and has not shown any initiative to pursue a quarterback out of the transfer portal.

So the former quarterback was signed as a wide receiver.

But why make this move at all?

“It’s a risk probably, but I think he’s one heck of an athlete,” Freeze said during a Friday press conference in Nashville before the Music City Bowl on Saturday. “I watched all of his high school receiving stuff and he caught all those balls from Payton Thorne. There’s chemistry there.”

Jackson has two immediate Auburn connections. First, he played against Auburn in the second game of the 2023 season and threw for 129 yards and two interceptions against Auburn’s defense in Berkeley. Auburn won the game 14-10 on Sept. 9.

Second, he was Thorne’s high school teammate at Naperville Central in Naperville, Illinois. Jackson was a receiver for the then-Michigan State-bound quarterback in their one season together. Jackson caught 50 passes for 847 yards and 14 touchdowns

But Jackson hasn’t played wide receiver since and has no college experience at wide receiver.

Freeze believes he saw enough of an athlete during Auburn’s game against Cal to translate Jackson into a pass catcher. The 5-foot-11 now-receiver is the type of player Freeze just wants to get the ball to somehow.

“As you watch even the NFL now, I think they’re starting to do more things, like (Maryland head coach Mike) Locksley and I do, with these receivers coming into the backfield and doing different things,” Freeze said. “(Jackson), to me, gives me a lot of flexibility in that regard to be able to do that.”

Despite his immediate eligibility due to the new NCAA protocol, Jackson won’t play in the Music City Bowl. He will, however, enter a wide receiver room with a significant amount of turnover and uncertainty.

Auburn signed its best wide receiver class in program history during December’s early signing period with five-star recruits Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson as well as four-stars Malcolm Simmons and Bryce Cain. Auburn also added Georgia State wide receiver Robert Lewis out of the transfer portal. Auburn will only return four receivers from this year’s team after losing four receivers to the portal.

“Even though I hadn’t seen a lot of college reps at receiver, I’ve seen a lot of practice and his high school stuff, and I just think an athlete like that gives us some flexibility,” Freeze said.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

We’re not quite the same team that finished the year [referencing opt-outs], but in some ways that’s exciting for kicking off the next year,”

This is truly the only way coaches and fans can look at non-playoff bowl games going forward. OSU was terrible on offense last night with backups at QB. It is what it is. It’s good for the younger players get some meaningful work. I’m not sure what to expect today. Our recent bowl history has tainted what used to be a fun game to anticipate. 

• Like 1

Just now, gr82be said:

This is truly the only way coaches and fans can look at non-playoff bowl games going forward. OSU was terrible on offense last night with backups at QB. It is what it is. It’s good for the younger players get some meaningful work. I’m not sure what to expect today. Our recent bowl history has tainted what used to be a fun game to anticipate. 

i think we are fine if the sickness is over. i think freeze said they had one player who's fever just broke. i want a win bad but it will not dampen my hopes for the future. WE ARE THE TIGERS HEAR US ROAR.  lol  i am NOT bullshooting.................

lets have a great bowl game folks! i feel like we take a step forward

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

lets have a great bowl game folks! i feel like we take a step forward

Have a great game day Fiddy. Took a ride through deserted campus yesterday. Short walk around Plainsman Park. Work on the upgrades/renovations is wide open. Baseball right around the corner.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Have a great game day Fiddy. Took a ride through deserted campus yesterday. Short walk around Plainsman Park. Work on the upgrades/renovations is wide open. Baseball right around the corner.

enjoy the game as well as a tasty beverage or two..............

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

enjoy the game as well as a tasty beverage or two..............

Toying with where to watch the game. Have some family headed to Atlanta for the Ole Miss game. Others having the Auburn game gathering. My favorite spot an open carport at my house with a fully stocked refrigerator in the adjacent utility room. Unfortunately to cold for my liking today. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Simpson and Puckett both took part in Auburn practices ahead of the bowl game, including being in pads and helmets during a period of Auburn’s Nashville practice at Vanderbilt which was open to reporters. Though the two spent much of that period of generally lighter practice allowing younger players to get an opportunity for extra time.

If you're going to opt out, why not tell the coaches immediately so they don't waste practice time on you? This is the worst way to do it. At least let them know early so they can spend more time with your replacements. This appears thoughtless and and non-caring to me. If you're going to opt out, do it early and get the devil out of the way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you're going to opt out, why not tell the coaches immediately so they don't waste practice time on you? This is the worst way to do it. At least let them know early so they can spend more time with your replacements. This appears thoughtless and and non-caring to me. If you're going to opt out, do it early and get the devil out of the way.

I’ve heard Simpson, at least, is hurt. 

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

I think OSU would have dome much better if the first guy would not have gotten hurt. They actually looked like they were going to run away with it until he got hurt.