Kalen DeBoer just announced as Alabama head coach

augrad68

2 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

Does he have a family? If so they will be in for a real awakening. 😬

Looked it up he does and I already feel bad for them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I give him 3 years there max.

My guess is he'll do 3 then the 4th will be the action year where he moves on, whether by his or the administration's accord.

• Like 1

It's a good hire. Fan base will be happy.......for now. Now we just have to hope that he brings his staff with him. There will be a few for sure. 

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

He will get eaten alive by that job. Just ask Brian Harsin how much harder it is coaching in the SEC than in the northwest 

The thing I always hate to say, but in fairness to an Alabama associated individual, DeBoer won at UDub and beat the hell out of some of the best coaches on the planet. Harsin was born on home run and still did worse than Petersen did. Also, he inherited a declining product in Auburn, while Alabama has pretty much been Alabama for a while...we'll see how bad the TP exodus looks like though. 

Hopefully Auburn does the beneficial thing to both itself and for the SEC, and swoops in to steal T-Rob from them. They're banking on him maintaining the defensive performance and that side of the roster

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The thing I always hate to say, but in fairness to an Alabama associated individual, DeBoer won at UDub and beat the hell out of some of the best coaches on the planet. Harsin was born on home run and still did worse than Petersen did. Also, he inherited a declining product in Auburn, while Alabama has pretty much been Alabama for a while...we'll see how bad the TP exodus looks like though. 

Hopefully Auburn does the beneficial thing to both itself and for the SEC, and swoops in to steal T-Rob from them. They're banking on him maintaining the defensive performance and that side of the roster

I agree. I hope he fails miserably more than anyone, but I was on here back when Saban was hired. We were all saying that bama had sold their souls for a coach that would probably never get them where they wanted to be and would jump ship when a better opportunity came along. And here we are.

I was hoping for Kiffin.  So was Kiffin.

He really messed up by spurning us last year to wait on the Bama job.  Texas, TAM, and Bama have all passed on him now.

He's stuck.  It's his own fault.  He gambled once too often on 4th down.

• Like 6

It will be interesting to see if he tries to turn Milroe into Penix. I don’t believe Milroe has the tools to be a pure passer. 

Also his OC at UW is supposed to be a prime target to be UW HC so it will be interesting to see what he can do without him and Penix.

Looking at his record and it still seems pretty early in his big boy football career to make a solid judgement on what his future will be. 
This seems like it could be going from swimming in the community lake to swimming in shark infested waters. 

Im not saying he isn’t a good coach , but is he ready for this! 

He’s a really good on field coach.

Time will tell if he can he recruit and if he has the guts to tell Saban to get lost since right now Saban’s acting like he’s just gonna be hanging out at the athletic complex.   Personally rooting like hell for it to turn into a Dye/Bowden feud that sends the program into a fiery nosedive

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

He’s a really good on field coach.

Time will tell if he can he recruit and if he has the guts to tell Saban to get lost since right now Saban’s acting like he’s just gonna be hanging out at the athletic complex.   Personally rooting like hell for it to turn into a Dye/Bowden feud that sends the program into a fiery nosedive

Auburn better work harder than ever to get even or surpass the top tier programs. This coach will be very successful, more resources, strong foundation, and his boss Saban nearby if he needs anything. 

The coach AFTER him will be successful. This guy has no shot. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

Exactly. I talked so much crap to my Bammer family and Bammer co-workers about Saban. I told them he never stays anywhere over 5 years and even if he did win Bama a Natty, he would leave like he did at LSU. I told them that he also wouldn't put up with their rabid fanbase because he was very short tempered and I said he will say to hell with those crazy fans and would quickly take another job.

Boy was I ever wrong!!!!

I will say this; Kalen has a career record of 105-12. He has 3 National Titles at Sioux Falls (NAIA) and was 25-3 with a 21 game win streak at Washington. He was OC at Indiana for 1 year in 2019 and they went 8-5 and that's the best they've been in forever. He left Indiana and they sucked again. He is a brilliant offensive mind and calls his own plays. Both years at Washington, bis QB Penix has led the nation in passing and they've had two 1,000 yard receivers in both 2022 and 2023. DeBoer also had the #1 rated O-Line in college football this year. He hasn't ever had talent like he will have at Alabama but he will face tough defenses as well.

I talked crap to a few of my UpDyke friends and rode one especially hard, saying the same thing, that NS wouldn't be there past his first NC.  I got that wrong, wrong, wrong.  And this one friend still has not spoken to me since 2009.  lol  

What you say about KD's record is true, but it's the same thing I was saying about Harsin's record, 78% win over 7 seasons.

The SEC is different from the PAC.  We'll see if he adjusts.

Wait and see.

WDE !!!

3 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

My guess is he'll do 3 then the 4th will be the action year where he moves on, whether by his or the administration's accord.

Nobody “moves on” from that job. You either kill it or your career is over. His career is over. He’ll be receiving his buyout three years from now. 

54 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

That's my gut feeling too.  Just paving the way for #2 or 3 or 4.

Not Dabo

Hard to get a feel for this hire. He’s not Nick Saban level. But he’s also not a Harsin I don’t think. Both coaches came to the sec from primarily northwestern careers. But Harsin was at a group of five program with no pressure that had been on the up at their level for a while before he arrived. DeBoer was at a power 5 school, and just played in the NC game a few days ago. They had a losing record prior to him getting there. I think it will come down to recruiting. He didn’t recruit super well at Washington, but Washington doesn’t typically pull in top notch classes anyway. So hard to know how that will turn out.

Either way, he’s not a Saban level recruiter. We should start winning more battles moving forward within the state which should help us majorly on the field.

Edited by ScotsAU

13 minutes ago, CircleDrill said:

Nobody “moves on” from that job. You either kill it or your career is over. His career is over. He’ll be receiving his buyout three years from now. 

“Moves on” was the way I worded that it would be the year he was either fired or left for a job more fitting. Curry got hired at Kentucky, Franchione scooted over to TAMU, Mike Price resurfaced at UTEP for a stint, Shula went back to being a successful NFL QB coach, so, no, Bama coaches don’t either kill it or their career is over.