Kalen DeBoer just announced as Alabama head coach

augrad68

I can't say I am very positive but I wouldn't want to be the coach that follows Saban. He is great with Xs and Os but not a great recruiter. He better be willing to eat dinner with a lot of recruits mothers. I don't know if he will. I think Bama could have done worse but I think they could have done better also. As a fan of Bama, I can only watch and see.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Hard to get a feel for this hire. He’s not Nick Saban level. But he’s also not a Harsin I don’t think. Both coaches came to the sec from primarily northwestern careers. But Harsin was at a group of five program with no pressure that had been on the up at their level for a while before he arrived. DeBoer was at a power 5 school, and just played in the NC game a few days ago. They had a losing record prior to him getting there. I think it will come down to recruiting. He didn’t recruit super well at Washington, but Washington doesn’t typically pull in top notch classes anyway. So hard to know how that will turn out.

Either way, he’s not a Saban level recruiter. We should start winning more battles moving forward within the state which should help us majorly on the field.

All the schools in the NW struggle to recruit because of the lack of population density.  There's just not enough local talent forcing all of them to go to CA & elsewhere to get blue chip players.  As much as I want uat to fail, they got a real coach capable of keeping them winning (damn it!)  uat has the facilities & resources, plus the real-world example of Harsin failing to recruit, to not let that happen to them (damn it!)  Will he recruit like Sabun?  Probably not.  Will he get his fair share of 4 & 5 * players to be successful?  Probably will (damn it!)  It's a new day in the SEC with OU & Tx joining, so the competition will be nothing like DeBoer's ever faced before (Yay!)  I don't think DeBoer will continue winning at Sabun's pace but I also think any drop off isn't going to be that much.  Time will tell.  

42 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Not Dabo

And, like I said, the only way he wouldn't be hired is if he declined the job, which he did by making public his interest in staying at Clemson.  

"I have so much respect for Alabama," Swinney said in 2018. "Alabama is home, it will always be a place that I love, and I've got a lot of family, and I look at it the same at Clemson. It's home, it's family. It's a very healthy rivalry. I think there's a lot of respect."

Swinney addressed a rumor he could replace Saban at Alabama that same year.

"I always smile," Swinney said. "I understand it. That's kind of the world we live in. I stay focused on where I am. I'm incredibly happy here at Clemson. I love where I am. It's not like I haven't dug my roots in here. It's a special, special place that we love dearly. I've had three or four opportunities to leave Clemson over the years. We still have a lot of work left to be done."

Clemson president addresses Dabo Swinney as potential Alabama candidate: 'Dabo's our guy' (247sports.com)

I guess if you’re going to hit a home run hire, you go get the guy that just coached an NC game a couple of days ago. 🤮

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

All the schools in the NW struggle to recruit because of the lack of population density.  There's just not enough local talent forcing all of them to go to CA & elsewhere to get blue chip players.  As much as I want uat to fail, they got a real coach capable of keeping them winning (damn it!)  uat has the facilities & resources, plus the real-world example of Harsin failing to recruit, to not let that happen to them (damn it!)  Will he recruit like Sabun?  Probably not.  Will he get his fair share of 4 & 5 * players to be successful?  Probably will (damn it!)  It's a new day in the SEC with OU & Tx joining, so the competition will be nothing like DeBoer's ever faced before (Yay!)  I don't think DeBoer will continue winning at Sabun's pace but I also think any drop off isn't going to be that much.  Time will tell.  

Could be partially correct here, but not completely correct. Oregon has signed top classes for several years straight. USC, before their fall off, was recruiting quite well. And Washington is near a pretty densely populated area (Seattle). I think he’ll recruit better at Bama than he did at Washington. But I don’t see the recruiting prowess of Saban. And that was one of the things that made Saban so effective. He was a decent in game coach. But it was the stuff he did leading up to the start of his season (getting the exact players and coaches he wanted) that really won games and championships for him. I don’t see DeBoer being that effective. That should open the door for us to get players that we maybe wouldn’t have if Saban was still the coach.

Edited by ScotsAU

4 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Could be partially correct here, but not completely correct. Oregon has signed top classes for several years straight. USC, before their fall off, was recruiting quite well. And Washington is near a pretty densely populated area (Seattle). I think he’ll recruit better at Bama than he did at Washington. But I don’t see the recruiting prowess of Saban. And that was one of the things that made Saban so effective. He was a decent in game coach. But it was the stuff he did leading up to the start of his season (getting the exact players and coaches he wanted) that really won games and championships for him. I don’t see DeBoer being that effective. That should open the door for us to get players that we maybe wouldn’t have if Saban was still the coach.

Yeah, but then how did Meyer recruit so well? UAT has all the same recruiting advantages that UF does.

Edited by AUwent

Saw something interesting about him. He has never built a D1 program. Much like Harsin, he took over a program built by Peterson. Peterson had Washington in the top 16 in recruiting however DeBoer had them in the 30s. He basically brought in a top notch QB from his previous school and injected him in with Peterson’s recruits. He has never cracked a top 25 recruiting class.

Edited by SphyNxXx
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah, but then how did Meyer recruit so well? UAT has all the same recruiting advantages that UF does.

Do recruiting services go back far enough to see how meyer recruited at Utah? If so, that might reveal an answer. 

He will fail because the munchkin remains. No coach, not even deboner, can work in that fashion. This is gonna be fun !!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I just looked. Unfortunately, there isn’t enough data to compare how Utah was recruiting before and during Meyer’s tenure. But I did take a closer look at Washington. Recruiting classes were in the mid to upper teens before DeBoer got there. Recruiting fell off a little under him from what it was under Chris Petersen. 

We will see about recruiting but make no doubt about it, his scheme and the X’s and O’s will be difficult to prepare for. 

I still think he will bounce for Michigan (his dream job) in a few years after they run off the OC they’ll promote when Harbaugh leaves. 

Thank goodness Mario Cristobal is a dreadful in game coach because he would probably recruit better than Saban. 

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleDrill said:

Nobody “moves on” from that job. You either kill it or your career is over. His career is over. He’ll be receiving his buyout three years from now. 

Coach Dennis Francione did…

23 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:

Saw something interesting about him. He has never built a D1 program. Much like Harsin, he took over a program built by Peterson. Peterson had Washington in the top 16 in recruiting however DeBoer had them in the 30s. He basically brought in a top notch QB from his previous school and injected him in with Peterson’s recruits. He has never cracked a top 25 recruiting class.

Yeah, I desperately HOPE he turns out to be another Scott Frost. But these things are impossible to tell without hindsight (I'm specifically talking about people arguing that Nebraska should've seen that Frost actually walked into a great situation at UCF).

Edited by AUwent

Great guy, going to be a successful coach if Bama fans are realistic .

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Great guy, going to be a successful coach if Bama fans are realistic .

I hope that last part means he won't be able to keep that same level.

24 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Oregon has recruited pretty good but take a look at their roster and only 20% or so come from either OR or WA.  The rest are from mostly CA but also from nationwide (thanks Phil.)  You'll find similar results for UW, WSU, OSU etc.  The entire population of WA is about 7.8 M.  In contrast, metro ATL alone is about 6.2 M while S. FL (Metro-Dade, Broward & Palm Bch Counties) are over 9.5 M.  The recruiting advantages of access to just those 2 areas, metro ATL & S FL, are enormous.  DeBoer should do just fine recruiting the Southland.    

2 hours ago, CircleDrill said:

Nobody “moves on” from that job. You either kill it or your career is over. His career is over. He’ll be receiving his buyout three years from now. 

I think we will be disappointed. Question is will Auburn be looking for a new coach before uat.

9 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I just watched an episode of Outkick with Josh Pate and he showed some crazy stats for Kalen DeBoer. Last season he had the 42nd ranked roster in terms of talent and they finished 11-2. This year he had the 35th ranked roster in terms of talent and they finished 14-1. 

DeBoer is 3-0 against Oregon and all 3 wins were with Dan Lanning and Bo Nix at Oregon. He beat them twice this season during the regular season and in the Pac 12 championship. 

DeBoer has faced 14 opponents ranked in the AP Top 25 and he is 12-2 against ranked teams. 

His main problem is recruiting in the southeast. He has proven he can beat much more talented teams with his 3 and 4 star guys and he's done it time and time again.

People saying Alabama is gonna be the Shula years again are crazy because with Shula, they were on probation all 4 years. I think most people that hate Alabama are hoping that DeBoer falls flat but I truly think the foundation is set at Alabama from Saban. Just look at LSU pre Saban and ever since he arrived there. LSU was Curley Hallman, Dinardo, etc and were about like Arkansas and had been for decades. Saban arrived in 2000 and since then they've played for 4 Natty's, won 3 of those and even Les Miles and Orgeron won Natty's. 

For everybody saying this DeBoer hire is terrible and he will suck and be fired, answer me this: if Auburn had a head coach opening right now and we hired DeBoer, would you all say he sucks and will be fired in 3 years or would y'all brag that we just hired a guy that had Washington in the National Championship just last week? Hell, most of y'all said Harsin was a great hire because he was 69-19 and was the OC when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. He was gonna be Pat Dye 2.0 and when he was firing and losing all his assistants after year 1, just like Freeze has done, and he replaced them all with guys from his past, just like Freeze is doing, it was spun as "Harsin needs familiar faces around him and this will make him more comfortable." Boy were all of y'all right. 

So for everyone saying DeBoer will be just like Harsin, he won't. Auburn has been chaotic and no foundation or culture has been set for years and years here. Harsin was sure to fail coming into that. Alabama is a complete 180° from us. They've been solid as a rock for 17 years and y'all know they have. So DeBoer is ALOT better setup to win than any coach we've hired in years and years.

Specifically regarding the two wins vs Oregon it was more about Lanning exercising his analytics than Washington actually winning. Had he coached the traditional way would have beat them both times. I didn’t watch last years game  However, I did like Penix until he stunk it up the last game

Edited by e808

18 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I just watched an episode of Outkick with Josh Pate and he showed some crazy stats for Kalen DeBoer. Last season he had the 42nd ranked roster in terms of talent and they finished 11-2. This year he had the 35th ranked roster in terms of talent and they finished 14-1. 

DeBoer is 3-0 against Oregon and all 3 wins were with Dan Lanning and Bo Nix at Oregon. He beat them twice this season during the regular season and in the Pac 12 championship. 

DeBoer has faced 14 opponents ranked in the AP Top 25 and he is 12-2 against ranked teams. 

His main problem is recruiting in the southeast. He has proven he can beat much more talented teams with his 3 and 4 star guys and he's done it time and time again.

People saying Alabama is gonna be the Shula years again are crazy because with Shula, they were on probation all 4 years. I think most people that hate Alabama are hoping that DeBoer falls flat but I truly think the foundation is set at Alabama from Saban. Just look at LSU pre Saban and ever since he arrived there. LSU was Curley Hallman, Dinardo, etc and were about like Arkansas and had been for decades. Saban arrived in 2000 and since then they've played for 4 Natty's, won 3 of those and even Les Miles and Orgeron won Natty's. 

For everybody saying this DeBoer hire is terrible and he will suck and be fired, answer me this: if Auburn had a head coach opening right now and we hired DeBoer, would you all say he sucks and will be fired in 3 years or would y'all brag that we just hired a guy that had Washington in the National Championship just last week? Hell, most of y'all said Harsin was a great hire because he was 69-19 and was the OC when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. He was gonna be Pat Dye 2.0 and when he was firing and losing all his assistants after year 1, just like Freeze has done, and he replaced them all with guys from his past, just like Freeze is doing, it was spun as "Harsin needs familiar faces around him and this will make him more comfortable." Boy were all of y'all right. 

So for everyone saying DeBoer will be just like Harsin, he won't. Auburn has been chaotic and no foundation or culture has been set for years and years here. Harsin was sure to fail coming into that. Alabama is a complete 180° from us. They've been solid as a rock for 17 years and y'all know they have. So DeBoer is ALOT better setup to win than any coach we've hired in years and years.

Exactly, Auburn needs to worry if our coach will fail. Freezes resume doesn’t even com close to DeBoer. Freeze so far has not shown he can prepare and develop players. Hopefully our coaching purge will improve things.

uat will most always be in the sec championship race

52 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I hope that last part means he won't be able to keep that same level.

Nick Saban won at an unprecedented level. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

People saying Alabama is gonna be the Shula years again are crazy because with Shula, they were on probation all 4 years.

I think most of us are just expecting and/or hoping for Stallings level. Which is still really really good but not immortal.

I’ve got to hand it to bama for having a definitive plan in place and executed it.

plan A - Lanning

plan B - DeBoer 

They set a time frame and stuck to it.  That’s how it’s done!  

i thought for sure they were going to hire an NFL guy.

Now I hope CHF can take some of their 2024 class/current players!

Edited by AUY2K

9 hours ago, WillMunny said:

I was hoping for Kiffin.  So was Kiffin.

He really messed up by spurning us last year to wait on the Bama job.  Texas, TAM, and Bama have all passed on him now.

He's stuck.  It's his own fault.  He gambled once too often on 4th down.

Kiffin world is a strange place. It’s Kiffins own fault getting fired so many times.  He’s still not to be trusted with an elite program. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUY2K said:

I’ve got to hand it to bama for having a definitive plan in place and executed it.

plan A - Lanning

plan B - DeBoer 

They set a time frame and stuck to it.  That’s how it’s done!  

i thought for sure they were going to hire an NFL guy.

Now I hope CHF can take some of their 2024 class/current players!

The people involved are long gone, but they have a history of not getting a coach they want and then running the coach off who agreed to sign.  

• Like 2

I am really hoping they lose a number of players over the next month.  Follow that up with an average season and a drop off in the next recruiting cycle.  I think DeBeor will put together a pretty good team his first season, but I also think it will likely be a 3 loss team.  Would be good if they are unable to make the 12 team playoff, but I think it would take 3 losses for them to not make it in.  If we could finish the season with a good record (at least 8 wins) including the IB, I feel that would set us on the right path of retaking the state in the very near future.  Things are looking up.  Question is.....how much of a drop off will Alabama be.