Kalen DeBoer just announced as Alabama head coach

augrad68

I’ve always been struck by this fact. If Rich Rod had accepted UAT hiring offer, and then fired 3 or 4 seasons later.  Saban would probably have never coached at UAT. They came so close to being a program that used to be good long ago like Army or Navy. UAT will claim they withdrew the offer to Rich Rod when they learned Saban was available. 

IMG_0411.webp

11 hours ago, keesler said:

I guess if you’re going to hit a home run hire, you go get the guy that just coached an NC game a couple of days ago. 🤮

What would have transpired if CGM had moved on in 2015, dunno but would not have lost any sleep .  We need to take CPD's advice from his early 1981 radio shows, "quit talking about bama and worry about Auburn".

• Like 2

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2024/01/alabama-hs-coaches-react-to-kalen-deboers-hire-its-a-whole-different-ballgame.html

Enjoy this article! I hope the guy loses and brings some class to Alabama. I think he is an excellent coach. I don't want UAT to turn him into an ass. 

Edited by Auburn93

It's hilarious to hear and see football talking heads slobbering over this cat. Cole Cubelic is a prime example.  Go back and look at what he said when we hired Harsin. Saying things like Harsin would be a great fit. Tank would flourish in his offense. His brand of ball would work well in the SEC and on and on... Now he is saying the same thing about DeBoer.  It's hilarious...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's hilarious to hear and see football talking heads slobbering over this cat. Cole Cubelic is a prime example.  Go back and look at what he said when we hired Harsin. Saying things like Harsin would be a great fit. Tank would flourish in his offense. His brand of ball would work well in the SEC and on and on... Now he is saying the same thing about DeBoer.  It's hilarious...

Yeah but this time he’s right.

DeBoer will do very well. Remember he has Saban on speed dial who will be the #1 recruiter for them.

7 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Yeah but this time he’s right.

DeBoer will do very well. Remember he has Saban on speed dial who will be the #1 recruiter for them.

Not so sure that Saban hanging around dynamic will work . Plus Deboer has been a head coach for only 4 yrs, not counting NAIA. Alot will depend on who he hires

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Not so sure that Saban hanging around dynamic will work . Plus Deboer has been a head coach for only 4 yrs, not counting NAIA. Alot will depend on who he hires

Maybe, but he will need Saban for the “transition “ period which will be this coming year. All Saban has to do is call a recruit and say the head coach is coming to visit, and he can get u to the nfl.

after the next year , Saban will be less involved 

One thing he can do is look at Harsins tenure and know what not to do. Like most have said it will depend on who he surrounds himself with

It's obvious that Deboer can coach football. It's also obvious that he's walking into a ready-made situation that's fashioned to win. Unfortunately, this was a fine hire.

Now, if the bammer faithful throw bricks through his window every time the team goes 10-2 he may not hang around for very long. Remember how they treated Bill Curry.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Hard to get a feel for this hire. He’s not Nick Saban level. But he’s also not a Harsin I don’t think. Both coaches came to the sec from primarily northwestern careers. But Harsin was at a group of five program with no pressure that had been on the up at their level for a while before he arrived. DeBoer was at a power 5 school, and just played in the NC game a few days ago. They had a losing record prior to him getting there. I think it will come down to recruiting. He didn’t recruit super well at Washington, but Washington doesn’t typically pull in top notch classes anyway. So hard to know how that will turn out.

Either way, he’s not a Saban level recruiter. We should start winning more battles moving forward within the state which should help us majorly on the field.

Unless Michigan is suddenly in the northwest…

Midwest is closer in culture to the Southeast than anywhere else.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

Unless Michigan is suddenly in the northwest…

Midwest is closer in culture to the Southeast than anywhere else.  

Most of his career has been in the dakotas, California, and Washington. All of his head coaching experience is well away from the southeast. He had 2 brief stints at lower level midwestern schools. But most of his career has been in the northwestern US

Even Harsin had some experience outside of the northwest. He was at Arkansas state and Texas as a coordinator. 

11 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Most of his career has been in the dakotas, California, and Washington. All of his head coaching experience is well away from the southeast. He had 2 brief stints at lower level midwestern schools. But most of his career has been in the northwestern US

Even Harsin had some experience outside of the northwest. He was at Arkansas state and Texas as a coordinator. 

I was talking about Saban.  You stated that they both came from northwestern roots.  Saban is from West Virginia and then coached in the Midwest.  

Midwest doesn’t equal Northwest.  Not even close.  

That’s like saying that Alaskans and Hawaiians are the same because they are both OCONUS.  

43 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

I was talking about Saban.  You stated that they both came from northwestern roots.  Saban is from West Virginia and then coached in the Midwest.  

Midwest doesn’t equal Northwest.  Not even close.  

That’s like saying that Alaskans and Hawaiians are the same because they are both OCONUS.  

Somehow, I don’t think we are on the same page…  It seems like we’re talking about different things.

Edited by ScotsAU

5 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Somehow, I don’t think we are on the same page…  It seems like we’re talking about different things.

You are correct.  You were talking about Harsin and DeBoer.  Saban’s name got thrown in the mix and I thought he was being labeled a NW coach.  

My bad. 

2 hours ago, NCAubs said:

You are correct.  You were talking about Harsin and DeBoer.  Saban’s name got thrown in the mix and I thought he was being labeled a NW coach.  

My bad. 

Ah yes. Sorry for the confusion. I was just trying to say I think he will be better than Harsin and worse than Saban. Then I went on to compare him to Harsin and didn’t really circle back to Saban. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

Odd fit. Mega success at Sioux Falls, Fresno state & Seattle. And no I dont mean the perpetual argument read here every time we're after a head coach: "but he hasnt recruited against SEC teams before". 

Saban will still be active in the athletic department, especially in recruiting. With Saban recruiting and Deboer and his assistants carrying team prep, game planning, and player coaching ....... ya know, I'm Auburn deep, and as much as I hate to say it, I could see this being a solid hire and a good transition for Bama. Unlike a lot of the critics here who automatically assume doom for the Tide, I fear there will not be much of a drop-off.

The bigger issue will be the incursion of Texas and Oklahoma into the SEC. That's going to be disruptive for all SEC teams, including Bama, LSU, UGA and yep, our Auburn Tigers.

Still, I'm not expecting Bama to suddenly drop away. The program has stockpiled a huge crop of talent, and reality is, talent wins most games.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AURex said:

Saban will still be active in the athletic department, especially in recruiting. With Saban recruiting and Deboer and his assistants carrying team prep, game planning, and player coaching ....... ya know, I'm Auburn deep, and as much as I hate to say it, I could see this being a solid hire and a good transition for Bama. Unlike a lot of the critics here who automatically assume doom for the Tide, I fear there will not be much of a drop-off.

The bigger issue will be the incursion of Texas and Oklahoma into the SEC. That's going to be disruptive for all SEC teams, including Bama, LSU, UGA and yep, our Auburn Tigers.

Still, I'm not expecting Bama to suddenly drop away. The program has stockpiled a huge crop of talent, and reality is, talent wins most games.

This is the correct analysis. There will be some drop off but the real question can Freeze out coach this guy? For that matter can Freeze prepare and out coach most of the coaches in the conference? With Texas and Oklahoma on board Auburn slipped another couple notches down until proven otherwise.

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

This is the correct analysis. There will be some drop off but the real question can Freeze out coach this guy? For that matter can Freeze prepare and out coach most of the coaches in the conference? With Texas and Oklahoma on board Auburn slipped another couple notches down until proven otherwise.

I think the biggest impact will be that it will be practically impossible to maintain what saban has done and even more so in the portal era. 
I don’t believe patience or acceptance of the new reality is something that fan base is capable of. 

35 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

I think the biggest impact will be that it will be practically impossible to maintain what saban has done and even more so in the portal era. 
I don’t believe patience or acceptance of the new reality is something that fan base is capable of. 

Surely the old “we will get you to the next level” has to fall off for awhile. Bama will still be strong but definitely knocked them down some.

• Like 1