McGriff officially returning

Wesley McGriff to remain on Auburn coaching staff

'Crime Dog' McGriff will not be leaving Auburn after all

Nathan King6 mins

After a series of twists and turns since he returned to Auburn in the offseason, Wesley McGriff will ultimately remain on the Plains for the 2024 season.

"Crime Dog" McGriff will not be leaving Auburn after all and is set to return to his post on Hugh Freeze's on-field assistant staff as a defensive backs coach, Auburn Undercover confirmed Friday afternoon.

Last month, after Auburn hired Colorado defensive coordinator Charles Kelly to its staff, McGriff left for an assistant job coaching under Mike Elko at Texas A&M as DB coach and passing game coordinator. 

McGriff was hired by Freeze last offseason, after the two worked together previously at Ole Miss. McGriff thus began his third career coaching stint at Auburn, having also been on staff in 2016 and 2019-20. He coached the Tigers' cornerbacks, while Zac Etheridge handled safeties and nickels.

Etheridge resigned from the coaching staff Friday, and McGriff will coach defensive backs with Kelly.

In late October, McGriff moved off the field due to a "personal issue," according to Freeze at the time. McGriff's title was "chief of accountability and in-house recruiting," and he remained on staff throughout the season. Special teams coordinator Tanner Burns took his spot as an on-field coach.

Last week, defensive coordinator Ron Roberts took a job as an assistant coach at Florida, as the Tigers are now working to replace both coordinators.

Auburn Undercover will update this story. Check back for additional information.

• Like 1

Reveille said there was only room for one dog and she wasn’t going anywhere. 

Glad to have him back..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

And these are the days of our lives. 

With only one life to live, we've seen a lot.

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

58 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Booom! Let’s go. It’s making sense now. 

This is in large part to the DC firing correct?

Very happy for him and AU !!!

• Like 1

Great move. McGriff is a good coach, relates well with players and is a closer in recruiting. And good riddance to Ron Roberts.

16 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Um, that's precisely why I asked--who are we targeting instead? Glad we at least got Kelly and McGriff officially in, but we may need strong coordinator hires here.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Um, that's precisely why I asked--who are we targeting instead? Glad we at least got Kelly and McGriff officially in, but we may need strong coordinator hires here.

That’s a great question. I don’t know, Nix may not be totally out of the picture yet, we all know how Lane likes to troll.

9 hours ago, keesler said:

This feels like such a hot mess.  I hope Hugh has a method to the madness. 

In fairness to HF part of the mess is not his fault at all. Hoping he can make chicken salad from some chicken shite 

13 hours ago, AUwent said:

So is Derrick Nix still coming?

Don’t really see a reason for this delay, so I think not.