Men climb up to No. 13

al.com

With 3-0 SEC start, Auburn climbs up to No. 13 in AP top 25 poll

Published: Jan. 15, 2024, 12:04 p.m.
~2 minutes

Auburn, AL - 20240113 - #16 Auburn Tigers Men's Basketball vs. LSU Tigers

AUBURN, AL - JANUARY 13 - Auburn's K.D. Johnson (0) during the game between the #16 Auburn Tigers and the LSU Tigers at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn TigersZach Bland/Auburn Tigers

After a 2-0 week, Auburn jumped up three spots in the AP Poll released on Jan. 15 to be ranked No. 13.

Auburn beat both Texas A&M and LSU in Neville Arena last week to improve its record to 14-2. Auburn sits atop the SEC alongside Alabama as the only 3-0 teams in league play. Alabama is not ranked.

Auburn has won nine consecutive games since the Dec. 3 loss to Appalachian State.

The Tigers’ jump comes after a week where much of the top 25 around Auburn struggled. Fourteen teams in last week’s top 25 poll lost a game. That includes four of the top five teams and seven of the top 10. Houston and Oklahoma, both of which were ranked in the top 10 last week, lost twice.

Auburn continues to be rated even better in computer metrics. KenPom has Auburn as the No. 4 overall team and as one of only two teams with top 10 offensive and defensive efficiency ratings. Arizona is the only other.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/auburn-tigers/2023

Go give a thumbs down to those voters who voted us low, and a thumbs up to those who voted us high. Interesting that we had people voting us all the way from #2 to #23. 

Basketball rankings are a crap shoot. You look like a genius or an idiot.  Let it all play out.  

• Like 3

Glad to see the recognition.  Hope the players don't relax and think too much about rankings right now.

• Like 1

13 seems like a good spot to land this week. A little bump but also maybe not as much as some expected so keep a little chip on the shoulder

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Men climb up to No. 13

I'm surprised Alabama still isn't ranked in the top 25.  Undefeated in SEC play, average 90+ points/game, ahead of Auburn in NET ranking.  Thoughts on why they aren't?

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Bracketology seems to think we win the SEC after our start. We're up to #3 seed in South as well.

Screenshot_20240116-184348.png

Wayyyyy too early. 

1 hour ago, Golden Eagle said:

I'm surprised Alabama still isn't ranked in the top 25.  Undefeated in SEC play, average 90+ points/game, ahead of Auburn in NET ranking.  Thoughts on why they aren't?

Who GAF?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

They played several highly ranked teams, but didn't beat any of them. And the NET is based heavily on margin of victory. They have some really lopsided wins over some of the weaker teams they have played. But their best win is over a good, but not great MSU team.  do agree with you that they are probably one of the 25 best teams though. Just too many losses at this point, and haven't really beaten anyone of note.

Edited by arktiger1975
  • Like 1

Get passed Vandy (especially if it's by double digits and on the road) and I think we finally reach the Top 10.

It's early in the season. Auburn hasn't played any of the top SEC teams and the non-conference schedule was weak. So there isn't much to go on at present.

I'm eager to see how our guys do against the better teams in the SEC -- UK, UT, MS,OM.

34 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Get passed Vandy (especially if it's by double digits and on the road) and I think we finally reach the Top 10.

Ole Miss too.

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

Ole Miss too.

One game at a time but I think we win tomorrow.  Ole Miss at home over the weekend is very favorable. Next week will show us what kind of team we really have.  Alabama and Mississippi State on the road.  Survive that and we finish off the month with Vandy again at home.  I think we will be at the very least 17-4 or at best 19-2.  We shall see.  Again, one game at a time.

• Like 1

Memphis blew a 20 point lead tonight and lost at home to South Florida. That opens up another spot to move up, but we just need to keep on winning.

9, 10, 11 all lost this week.  Handle Ole Miss at Neville this weekend and everything will take care of itself.  We are absolutely a top 10 team but no need to rush it. 

• Like 2

Key to beating ol miss is going to be our depth wearing them down. Their starting five all play 30+ mins and they have 2 maybe 3 guys they bring off the bench. I think their starters can match our pretty evenly but look for AU to press hard all game and pull away at the end of the halves. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Key to beating ol miss is going to be our depth wearing them down. Their starting five all play 30+ mins and they have 2 maybe 3 guys they bring off the bench. I think their starters can match our pretty evenly but look for AU to press hard all game and pull away at the end of the halves. 

From looking at the numbers, this seems like a bad matchup for Ole Miss. I think we are going to be super motivated with the Flanigans returning and because of Chris Beard. I think we blow them out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

From looking at the numbers, this seems like a bad matchup for Ole Miss. I think we are going to be super motivated with the Flanigans returning and because of Chris Beard. I think we blow them out. 

I am looking forward to see how Flanagan plays.  He might be bringing some attitude.  Fortunately, we have a number of players & coaches who have experience with Flan and know his strengths and weaknesses.  Watched him several times this year and he looks pretty much the same as last year at AU.

Good news for us is that Broome is going to play and has been practicing with the team.  That shot to the knee he took vs. Vandy was scary.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BizEagle said:

I am looking forward to see how Flanagan plays.  He might be bringing some attitude.  Fortunately, we have a number of players & coaches who have experience with Flan and know his strengths and weaknesses.  Watched him several times this year and he looks pretty much the same as last year at AU.

Good news for us is that Broome is going to play and has been practicing with the team.  That shot to the knee he took vs. Vandy was scary.

I hope we stick it to them. I could be wrong, but it seemed like Allen and Wes were causing problems last year. Probably why they are no longer at Auburn.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

IMHO Ole Miss will be the best team we've played to date.

Better than Baylor? I don't think so. And I think teams like Arkansas, USC, and A & M, while they haven't performed to expectations, have more talent than Ole Miss.

One of Flanigan's biggest problems here were his Assist/TO ratio.

Saw the other night, He was a .75 with us over 4 years and now at 1.75 this season. Significant improvement.  

He could be scary if he stays under control.