1.20.24 Football Articles

247sports.com

Jason Caldwells Friday Auburn mailbag column

Jason Caldwell

4–5 minutes

Talking Auburn football, Auburn basketball, Auburn baseball and more.

Never4ua: Jason, as a 20+ year ITAT member, I honestly can't remember a time when you weren't here with us doing a great job. You've been a rock around here for so long. How did you originally get started with ITAT? Also do you get to see and talk to Mark fairly regularly still these days?

I was living in Tampa and came back to Auburn and started working with another site (Alliance Sports) doing recruiting. We started working with ITAT and that’s when I started working for Mark. I had been getting the magazine since the initial issue, so it was something I had been preparing for but just didn’t know it. Couldn’t have had a better mentor in the business and I’m thankful everyday for what he taught me. We still talk about once a week and they are doing great.

AUtigeritaville: With Derrick Nix as WR coach and OC, Austin Kent as the QB coach, and presumably Coach Freeze calling plays on gameday, i cannot help but get "Nallsminger" vibes and re-live the dysfunction of 2003. What do you think are the key differences of that year and what we may get this year that could alleviate my anxiety?

In 2003 you had two coaches that were asked to run someone else’s offense. It’s an entirely different situation than what Auburn has now, not even in the same world. Hugh Nall and Steve Ensminger were asked to keep running Bobby Petrino’s offense. This is Hugh Freeze’s offense and one that Nix and Kent Austin have both already worked with him together at Ole Miss. Completely different scenario.

To read this full article and more, subscribe now —

SALE: 60% off first year

Get access to this article and all of the in-depth coverage from the 247Sports Network with this special offer.

Join at 60% off Annual

Already a subscriber? Login

Scouting reports: What Auburn's gained in the transfer portal so far

Auburn's picked up nine players in the portal after the first transfer window

Auburn certainly didn't need to hit the portal as hard this season as it did in the whirlwind after Hugh Freeze took over last year, but the Tigers still hope they've added a few impact players from the transfer ranks over the past few weeks.

As the Tigers move through winter workouts this month before spring practice a couple months out, they've landed nine transfers so far, addressing a number of roster needs. To provide an expert's insight on all nine players, each 247Sports site that previously covered Auburn's new transfers offered a scouting report.

Let's take a look at what Auburn has gained in the portal thus far — and what areas the Tigers may need to address after spring practice.

There's still the caveat that players who dealt with a recent coaching change — Alabama, Washington, Arizona, San Jose State, and potentially Michigan if Jim Harbaugh heads to the NFL — will have the portal open for 30 days after their respective coach leaves. Of course, those transfers would be eligible to participate in spring practices, but Auburn, or any other program, could get them on board at any point.

While Auburn began its spring semester Jan. 10, the last day to add classes was Wednesday, so Auburn was able to get all nine transfers processed before that date, and they will be eligible to go through spring practice.

To read this full article and more, subscribe now —

SALE: 60% off first year

Get access to this article and all of the in-depth coverage from the 247Sports Network with this special offer.

Join at 60% off Annual

Already a subscriber? Login

si.com

Five-Star Quarterback Sets Visit With Auburn Tigers

Lance Dawe
~2 minutes

Auburn is in contention to land one of the nation's best quarterbacks.

In this story:

Auburn Tigers

Auburn Tigers

The Auburn Tigers are set to host one of the nation's best quarterbacks.

Auburn has been on the rise in the recruiting rankings ever since head coach Hugh Freeze took over the program in 2022. The Tigers currently have the No. 8 class in the 2024 cycle and the No. 4 class for 2025.

For the first time in five years, Freeze brought a 5-star prospect to Auburn. He actually brough two - receivers Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson form an insane duo at the top of Auburn's 2024 cycle. Now, they're going to have a chance with another 5-star, this time for the 2025 class.

Julian Lewis, the nation's No. 2 quarterback, has set an official visit with Auburn, per On3. Lewis, the No. 9 prospect nationally, comes from Carrollton High School (GA) and just recently reclassified from the 2026 class to 2025.

“Since I was 7 years old one of my goals has been to play D1 football," Lewis told On3. "Through hard work and sacrifice that goal has become a reality. I have been blessed to have 2 good seasons under Coach Joey King and I have confidence that after this coming season I will be ready to compete at the next level. So after praying and talking with my family, coaches and trainers I will be reclassifying to the class of 2025.”

Lewis will be visiting Auburn on January 20th before taking visits to Colorado on January 27th and Georgia on February 3rd. He is currently committed to Lincoln Riley and the USC Trojans.

The Tigers are bringing in 4-star quarterback Walker White from their 2024 recruiting class. Landing Lewis would make for an extremely loaded QB room heading into 2025.

• Like 2

Auburn Football logo

Auburn Football

Auburn Likely to Struggle in 2024 😬

SEC Part I: Auburn, Texas A&M

3 of 6

Auburn QB Payton Thorne

Auburn QB Payton ThorneCarly Mackler/Getty Images

Auburn's first season under head coach Hugh Freeze didn't move the needle much.

The Tigers finished 6-7, including losses to every ranked team they faced in Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss and Alabama. There was also the 31-10 home loss to New Mexico State, giving the Aggies a first-ever win over an SEC team. Capped off with a 31-13 loss to Maryland in the Music City Bowl, it was an underwhelming start to the Freeze era.

Texas A&M didn't have a losing season, finishing 7-6, but it decided to move on from Jimbo Fisher after all, even with his monstrous $76 million buyout. Now, the Aggies start a new era under Mike Elko, who spent the last two seasons at Duke.

Why to be optimistic for Auburn in 2024: Barring any changes between now and National Signing Day, the Tigers look on track to sign a Top-10 recruiting class for the first time since 2020. 5-star wide receivers Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson could see playing time immediately, and starting quarterback Payton Thorne returns.

Why not to be: Backup quarterback Robby Ashford has committed to South Carolina. Thorne's 16:10 touchdown-to-interception ratio needs to improve if Auburn wants to finish above .500 next year. Plus, its road schedule looks particularly tough, including games at Georgia, Missouri, Kentucky and Alabama.

Why to be optimistic for Texas A&M in 2024: The Mike Elko effect. He led the Blue Devils to a first-ever nine-win season in school history in 2022. Don't be surprised if he exceeds expectations at College Station in Year One, especially with his current No. 1-ranked transfer portal class. He also has familiarity with TAMU after his time as the Aggies' defensive coordinator from 2018-21.

Why not to be: It's hard for most coaches to win big in the SEC, especially in their first season in the conference.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Derrick Brown named to 2024 NFL Pro Bowl

Brian Hauch

~2 minutes

Former Auburn defensive lineman Derrick Brown has been named to the 2024 Pro Bowl games as a replacement for Aaron Donald.

Brown is coming off his best season as a professional for the Carolina Panthers, shining as a bright spot for an otherwise rough season in Charlotte.

The 25-year-old set the record for tackles by a defensive tackle in 2023, recording 103 total tackles en route to breaking Christian Wilkins’ 2022 record of 98 tackles.

While the record was certainly aided by the extra regular season game, Brown’s dominance shouldn’t be understated.

Auburn’s former captain is set to join New York Giants tackle Dexter Lawrence and San Francisco 49ers tackle Javon Hargrave, as the three interior defensive linemen on Eli Manning’s NFC Pro Bowl roster.

Hargrave would join Aaron Donald as an opt-out if his 49ers make it to the Super Bowl.

Brown is the first Auburn alumni to receive a Pro Bowl invite since long snapper Josh Harris played for the NFC in 2022. The former first-round pick is the first defensive player from Auburn to make the All-Star game since Dee Ford in 2019.

The Pro Bowl games kick off in Orlando, Florida on February 1 and continue throughout the week, ending on February 4 with a “Flag Football Showdown.”

We’ll see if Brown can help the NFC take home the crown for the second year in a row.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow Brian on Twitter @TheRealBHauch

Thanks Fifty!!!

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Late this morning Fiddy! Coffee has been gone……Thanks anyway from the sunny and cold cold Plains.

the heat on my heat pump went out salty. the air has been gone. i am sitting in the den covered up with the dogs and one space heater so it took a while for me to unthaw.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the heat on my heat pump went out salty. the air has been gone. i am sitting in the den covered up with the dogs and one space heater so it took a while for me to unthaw.

Good morning Fifty. Did you set it to emergency ( my thermostat has a setting for when it’s too cold for heat pumps to warm it up).

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Man that's tough. Wishing the best for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Good morning Fifty. Did you set it to emergency ( my thermostat has a setting for when it’s too cold for heat pumps to warm it up).

no it finally crapped out. i knew it was coming.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Man that's tough. Wishing the best for you.

thanx mikey. so far i am  treating it like a sleepover with lots of blankets for me and the dogs to cuddle under so we are fine. i might get tired over  late.........

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

thanx mikey. so far i am  treating it like a sleepover with lots of blankets for me and the dogs to cuddle under so we are fine. i might get tired over  late.........

Mine blew two years ago. For "only" $7,000 the nice people came and replaced it. Hope you can find a better deal.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

For "only" $7,000 the nice people came and replaced it

Mikey, I’m not laughing at the misfortune, just the wording. 😂

• Like 1

i will figure something out......i always do.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Mine blew two years ago. For "only" $7,000 the nice people came and replaced it. Hope you can find a better deal.

• Like 1