Muschamp takes significant pay cut

aubiefifty

UGA Wire

Georgia football’s Will Muschamp takes significant pay cut

James Morgan
Sun, January 21, 2024 at 5:13 PM CST·1 min read

• The Georgia Bulldogs and head coach Kirby Smart added former Alabama Crimson Tide cornerbacks coach Travaris Robinson following Nick Saban’s retirement. Robinson will serve as the safeties coach and co-defensive coordinator at Georgia.

Robinson is slated to make $1.3 million in 2024. Robinson will work with Georgia co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach Glenn Schumann. Georgia should have a strong defense this fall. The Bulldogs return several key defensive linemen from last season.

Robinson takes over Will Muschamp’s previous role. Muschamp, who is looking to spend more time with his family, will be a defensive analyst for the Georgia staff. As an analyst, Will Muschamp is taking a steep pay cut. He will make $50,000 in 2024 after making $855,000 last season. Muschamp previously coached with Robinson during his time at South Carolina.

Kirby Smart has put together another elite coaching staff for the 2024 season. Georgia has a great deal of continuity from the 2023 coaching staff. The only key coach to leave Georgia this offseason is Syracuse head coach Fran Brown, who was the defensive backs coach at Georgia.

Story originally appeared on UGA Wire

I bet we see more of this type of movement in college football. If a coach has made the bucks and still wants to be involved, this is a great way to cut the hour demands by 1/2-2/3. A lot of people in different careers say they work 24/7,  365. It's closer to being true in college football coaching than anywhere else right now. So if a coach doesn't want to do the NFL, here's a way to coach and have a life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I bet we see more of this type of movement in college football. If a coach has made the bucks and still wants to be involved, this is a great way to cut the hour demands by 1/2-2/3. A lot of people in different careers say they work 24/7,  365. It's closer to being true in college football coaching than anywhere else right now. So if a coach doesn't want to do the NFL, here's a way to coach and have a life. 

To go from 800k to 50k it has to be something like a way to maintain insurance or achieve pension goals. I know he most likely has plenty of money aside from this salary but 50k from the level he was at is most likely not worth leaving the house for. 
Im shocked that almost any level of support staff would make that little especially with his experience and resume. 
Maybe he’s working 4 hours a week. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

He got 13 million from usce. I'm sure he got money from UF. If he needs money after his career so far, he's too stupid to coach.

1 hour ago, aujohnson said:

To go from 800k to 50k it has to be something like a way to maintain insurance or achieve pension goals. I know he most likely has plenty of money aside from this salary but 50k from the level he was at is most likely not worth leaving the house for. 
Im shocked that almost any level of support staff would make that little especially with his experience and resume. 

Probably this. I'd be shocked if he actually is expected to do any real work for that 50k.  Likely a "thanks for your service" gift from the University. 

After the Tuberville/Auburn breakup, Auburn hired Tubs as a "special assistant to the President' with a salary of $250,000/yr where he admitted he didn't really do anything but chat with President Gogue every once and a while. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

Muschamp could probably retire tomorrow if he wants. I don’t blame him. Dude wants to win. Wish we could get him back. 

On 1/24/2024 at 11:16 AM, aujohnson said:

After Florida and South Carolina buyouts, I seriously doubt the man is very worried about his paycheck.  This is a WFH job that he can basically do in his leisure, and he can evaluate football film in his sleep.

College Football coaches are figuring it out too. Do well and enjoy the thrill of victory plus life changing money. Do poorly, get fired and make more life changing money. Then have generational wealth and do what you enjoy on your terms. Great gig. 

• Like 1